Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

New to Honda

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to Honda

Hello all,
I apologize if this is something that has been asked before. But, I've searched around. And, I can't find a good answer. I'm wondering if there are any other Honda models that I can use parts from for my 1997 Accord LX Coupe. I know how other Accords from the same gen work. But, what about pulling from say a similar year Civic or CR-V for something like suspension? I'm new to all of this, so I'm continuing to look. But, I thought I'd ask. Part of what got me thinking about this is a video I saw on YouTube. Mighty Car Mods is building a Civic. And, they are using calipers from a CR-V on it. It made me wonder what other parts might work in my application, in the event that my local pick and pull doesn't have any similar gen Accords to work with. Mahalo in advance.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Re: New to Honda

Generally, at least from my examination, nothing from a Civic crosses over, it's just a really different platform.

However, the main items I see crossing over and working in an Accord could be from

Acura CL (such as the seats)
CRV (such as the brakes)
Odyssey (such as interior pieces and brakes)
Prelude (seats I think)

But there is not a lot from an OEM transplant point of view. And, in general, and you can see there is not much in the way of performance cars being crossed with the accord, so you won't find much from that angle, and the aftermarket is not very large either as it's not a popular platform for racing of any kind. The civic, on the other hand, is like the pony car of the japanese car world, so anything you can think of has been done already and you can always find someone who has done it already, very very different environment and aftermarket along with community support.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99stockcivic
Generally, at least from my examination, nothing from a Civic crosses over, it's just a really different platform.

However, the main items I see crossing over and working in an Accord could be from

Acura CL (such as the seats)
CRV (such as the brakes)
Odyssey (such as interior pieces and brakes)
Prelude (seats I think)

But there is not a lot from an OEM transplant point of view. And, in general, and you can see there is not much in the way of performance cars being crossed with the accord, so you won't find much from that angle, and the aftermarket is not very large either as it's not a popular platform for racing of any kind. The civic, on the other hand, is like the pony car of the japanese car world, so anything you can think of has been done already and you can always find someone who has done it already, very very different environment and aftermarket along with community support.
Thank you for the information. I have noticed that, about the Accord. It's good to know that I can at least use brakes from one of the heavier vehicles, which means better stopping power. Speaking of stopping power, when you say brakes from a CR-V or Oddesssy, would I be able to use more then just calipers/pads? I know my LX has drums on the rear, and I want to swap them to disc. I have also been looking at an engine swap down the road. But, that's a whole different conversation.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

I would presume you would need the knuckles with the brakes rotor and caliper to mount it. But I would have to let someone else answer specifically as I've not done that yet.

Switching from the drums to discs could also be a bit tricky if you have ABS. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, these cars the back brakes really aren't doing much at all. If it was me, I would focus on upgrading the front brakes if anything. Again, this is only personal opinion, but upgrading the brakes to something that grips better was far simpler. In my case, I simply switched to EBC Yellowstuff pads and rotors, and the stopping power increase was greatly improved, and putting on good tires such as some michelin also reduced the stopping times. But my car is stock, if that makes any difference. Remember, rear brakes only handle up to maybe 30% of the braking occurring, and I feel like ours is more like 20%, so the front is where I like to focus.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

There are a lot of different ways to do a brake change or upgrade on the CD chassis. You can keep it 4 lug or go 5 lug, big break or keep it small but still go 4 wheel disc with multiple piston caliper.

You need to narrow down exactly what you want to do. Then we can point you in the right direction to start off.

Things to consider;
4 wheel disc or keep it rear drum (4 wheel disc upgrade will work ok with current 2 x 2 prop valve but would be better with an upgrade to a 4 disc prop valve)
4 lug or 5 bolt pattern is an option. There are more options available to you depending on whether you stay 4 lug or go with the 5 lug.
regular calipers and rotors or big break upgrade with upgrade caliper and rotor ( 4 or 5 lug options available)

so you see, there are a lot of this that depend on your vision and goals for use.
The following users liked this post: