Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

need guidence on replacing crank,balancer saft,seals with no special tools

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 need guidence on replacing crank,balancer saft,seals with no special tools

i just redid my,1990 honda accord 2.2 f22a1 215,333 miles, timming belt and balancer belt after i had the timing belt break on my doing 30 mph ,withought any internal collision ,thank god,where the belt split got cuaght in one of the balancer belt drive pully's slot holes i think that slowed the pistons down before any valves got smashed but after job done started her up and after 30 sec of running mint i noticed oil leaking at a very large pace under or through my lower timing belt cover i immediately shut her down removed the upper timming belt cover to see if the belt was oil soaked and it was not which is leaving me to almost beleive withought removing the lower cover that its more likey to be a balancer shaft seal than the crank ,i plan on replacing them all but unfortuantely i do not have the special tool to press in the seals whats is the best method? can i slowly and patiantly fit them by hand i heard different comments like using a pipe on the outer edge a deep enough socket which i do not have one as deep as i need auto zone or advanced auto parts are the only two leading suppliers in my area and they dont carry the tool either , so can someone guide me through doing theese withought a 'special" tool please,or at least some advise? if at most i could afford a long deep socket
Old 05-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: need guidence on replacing crank,balancer saft,seals with no special tools

Surprised they don't "rent" a seal installer set.......

Anyways, you can get creative....a piece of pipe (plastic, steel, ect) can do the job...heck, I have kids so I'm being nice, one time I used a hard plastic cup that had the right size to drive a seal in.......the wife always wondered what happend to that cup....a friend did woodwork, he bored a hole, to fit around the crank, in a piece of wood. Then used more wood to drive a seal in....the key is, even pressure to the outside edge of the seal, how you do it?

PS-dang lucky on not killing a valve.....

EDIT: One more "trick" came to mind while walking the dogs. You can also sometimes help yourself by using temps....put things in the frig/freezer over night (contract) before installing...works well with freeze plugs, bushings, ect...still need to apply even pressure but if what you are insalling is slightly smaller in diameter....the easier it is to press it in. Or the reverse, heat a bearing on a hot plate and it will "slip" onto an axle (using the Chevelle here) so much easier....again the wife wonders why I have a hot plate, pans, ect in the garage...she gave up on why parts were/are in the frig/freezer.....someone else can give you the exact details on how all of this works...Chikin, can you help me out?

Last edited by poorman212; 05-25-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need guidence on replacing crank,balancer saft,seals with no special tools

Carefully insert a screw into the face of the seal. Use a pair of pliers to pry the seal out. I prefer this method when I'm afraid I'm going to scratch something when replacing seals. Scratching something is easy to do even for the most experienced techs.