Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Just got a 94 Accord - HELP ME PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 94 Accord - HELP ME PLEASE!

Ok straigh to the point, i just got a new daily, it's a 94 LX Sedan 2.2 SOHC auto.
Please enlighten me on some things.

1.) What engine type do I have? f22, H22, bd1, bd2, etc... i'm new to hondas
2.) What is good and what is bad for these cars? do's and don't do's???
3.) My clock doesn't display, someone told me to just pop it and put in a new one, is there a fuse for it or what, all the other dash button's light up, just no clock..?
4.) My car vibrates a little when i brake, the more brake power the more it vibrates, it's not horrible,but i just want to make sure a rotors and pads upgrade will fix this. (i just got new tires and balanced, so it's not that, and they are being aliged soon, only when i brake.)
5.) what are the speaker sizes for the front and rear?

This car has 140K on it, so far i have:
Changed oil to Castrol GTX high Mileage
Replaced Air Filter
_________
I'm going to
Replace fuel filter
Swap spark plugs and wires
Distributor cap and rotor
Drain tranny and refill, ( it seems to have some hard shifts, hope my tranny isn't bad)
Oil gasket, next oil change
still undecided on timing belt andwater pump

any other recommendations to make sure this puppy keeps running strong.

Bonus question: if i wanted to swap the engine and tranny later on what would be my most compatible choices, i know this gen ends at 97, so can i drop a 97 engine inthere and call it a day or what, what setup's can i do that wont be to troublesome, this is just a daily i dont want a gsr swap with si tranny, none of that, just somethign to make this car last.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got a 94 Accord - HELP ME PLEASE! (a_guerrajr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a_guerrajr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok straigh to the point, i just got a new daily, it's a 94 LX Sedan 2.2 SOHC auto.
Please enlighten me on some things.

1.) What engine type do I have? f22, H22, bd1, bd2, etc... i'm new to hondas

you have an f22b2

2.) What is good and what is bad for these cars? do's and don't do's???

ehh they last forever and trannys are good.. just slow to shift from park into gear.

bad-windows roll up realllllly slow.

3.) My clock doesn't display, someone told me to just pop it and put in a new one, is there a fuse for it or what, all the other dash button's light up, just no clock..?

yes there is a fuse. if you have an aftermarket radio, i would check the back up radio fuse, they are prone to blowing when the radio is pulled.

4.) My car vibrates a little when i brake, the more brake power the more it vibrates, it's not horrible,but i just want to make sure a rotors and pads upgrade will fix this. (i just got new tires and balanced, so it's not that, and they are being aliged soon, only when i brake.)

yes, you might have a slightly warped rotor or something. new pads and rotors will stop it.
5.) what are the speaker sizes for the front and rear?

i belive the fronts are 5.25 and rears are 6.5's. You could also check http://www.crutchfield.com but im pretty sure those are right.

This car has 140K on it, so far i have:
Changed oil to Castrol GTX high Mileage
Replaced Air Filter
_________
I'm going to
Replace fuel filter
Swap spark plugs and wires
Distributor cap and rotor
Drain tranny and refill, ( it seems to have some hard shifts, hope my tranny isn't bad) They do shift hard, they are not smooth, i've never been in one that shifts smooth. But fluid change is a good idea.
Oil gasket, next oil change
still undecided on timing belt andwater pump If you can do it yourself, do it. If not, its worth doing for the peace of mind.

any other recommendations to make sure this puppy keeps running strong.

run some injector cleaner thru it every time you change your oil.. i do atleast. and change the tranny fluid at every 15k for the safe side. You can also add a tranny cooler and remote inline filter for the tranny too if you wish.

Bonus question: if i wanted to swap the engine and tranny later on what would be my most compatible choices, i know this gen ends at 97, so can i drop a 97 engine inthere and call it a day or what, what setup's can i do that wont be to troublesome, this is just a daily i dont want a gsr swap with si tranny, none of that, just somethign to make this car last.

lol. If you really wanted to, the h22 is a common swap. you could also do f20 swap as well. Just remember your obd1 and 96-97 are obd2. Depends if you wanted more power or not.. you could also do the EX head swap to get vtec if you wanted.. it'd be a f22b1

Thanks
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Modified by sony224422 at 2:34 PM 12/21/2007
Old 12-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got a 94 Accord - HELP ME PLEASE! (sony224422)

Speaker sizes are a little strange.. I had my 94 lx coupe apart recently.

The front with the stock plastic adapter thing seems to fit a 5 1/4 but I'm willing to bet it'd also fit a 6.5 in there. It appears to be drilled for more than one size.

For the rears mine has a round hold in it which appears to be either a 5 1/4 or 6.5. From looking underneath (in the trunk) there appears to be a sheet metal adapter in there. The opening in the support is oval and looks to be a 6X9. I'm going to have to cut that out when I put 6x9's in there. It's possible someone put that in mine but it looked stock to me.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got a 94 Accord - HELP ME PLEASE! (GrantD)

Ok as for the clock i'm not too sure if there is a fuse dedicated just for the clock.. i'd think that be included with the accessory fuses. Maybe a cold solder joint. I had a problem with the radio backlights not going on in my radio when I had my acura vigor. I pulled out the radio and resoldered all the joints and problem was fixed. As far as the vibration for your steering wheel. I'd have to say your discs are warped and thats whats causing it. Speaker size is irrelevant because they are stock so I don't see what difference that'll make if I answer your question. If you have a 94 accord I'd say you have a F series motor in your car. Definately not a H22 &lt;--Prelude Motor Hope that helps.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got a 94 Accord - HELP ME PLEASE! (gqstatus05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gqstatus05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok as for the clock i'm not too sure if there is a fuse dedicated just for the clock.. i'd think that be included with the accessory fuses. Maybe a cold solder joint. I had a problem with the radio backlights not going on in my radio when I had my acura vigor. I pulled out the radio and resoldered all the joints and problem was fixed. As far as the vibration for your steering wheel. I'd have to say your discs are warped and thats whats causing it. Speaker size is irrelevant because they are stock so I don't see what difference that'll make if I answer your question. If you have a 94 accord I'd say you have a F series motor in your car. Definately not a H22 &lt;--Prelude Motor Hope that helps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i already answered everything.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:01 AM

whew, ok well yea i think the tranny drain and refill should help, at least keep the peace of mind that i'm not low on fluid and running clean fluid. i'll try the injector cleanor for next time. i'll check the clock fuse, it does have an aftermarket radio. i was looking on ebay at some rotors, i have drums in the rear, but some setups say with abs and some w/o abs, i didn't see anything on my car that stated it had abs on the rear, how can i find out, is there a certain distinction. THANKS for the answers... OHHHHH are these good for the front????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V
Old 12-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (a_guerrajr)

You don't have ABS. If you did have abs, your rear brakes would be disc type brakes. But when choosing rotors, you shouldn't have to worry about this ABS or no ABS. But if you really want to know for sure, check your hood for an ABS pump/accumulator. It's in the lower right of the hood. or see when you turn the ignition, if an ABS light comes on the dash.

Anyhoo.... Try some of this product called "Seafoam" to clean the injectors. It helps a lot for my 96 Accord. The product is really concentrated, so follow the directions.

And also.... use some Honda's ATF-Z1 (buy at dealer) when refilling the tranny. I heard is helps a lot on the 5th gen. I am trying it this week so I'll let you know too. As I too have a 5th gen like yours. Hard shifting...
Old 12-24-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: (The-Kid)

ok is this seafoam product avaliable at any auto parts store or is it specal order??? and i will see if a fellow forum member can hook me up with some of that a/t fluid. they told me to drain and refill around 2-3 times to make sure the fluid is clean.

i figured it didn't have abs, since there is nothing on the gauges.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a_guerrajr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok is this seafoam product avaliable at any auto parts store or is it specal order??? and i will see if a fellow forum member can hook me up with some of that a/t fluid. they told me to drain and refill around 2-3 times to make sure the fluid is clean.

i figured it didn't have abs, since there is nothing on the gauges.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can find Sea-Foam just about anywhere. Check Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's etc. About the tranny, see if you can find a shop that'll do a cheap pump, flush, and fill
Old 12-24-2007, 10:12 AM

what pump would you be referring to, i dont want to sound like i don't know what im talking about when asking the mechanic.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's just a fluid "pump" that helps flush out any contaminants that may be in the tranny
Old 12-25-2007, 08:37 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Default Re: (awdgsx96)

k, i'll add my 2 cents

i have the same car i got mine @ 141 k, and still goin'. Only diiferrence between mine and yours is i have manual tranny which is more durable then an auto tranny, as for faults in the 94-97 models ecpect to get your water pump and timing belt done, seals to start leaking, exhaust to start failing (muffler especcially). RIght now mine has 184k, and little thing also have failed like my cruise control and other little crap, basically just take care of your honda and it will take care of you. O yea i bet you have rust in your rear panel. As for rotors if you want get some slotted i got some and they work well and to find out if you have ABs just look on the DASH for the ABS light. As for the clock go to a junk yard and find one to swaqp out. if thta does not fix the issue you have a bad fuse
Old 12-25-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: (kidcool1977)

Little note for the future, make sure to use Honda Genuine Power Steering Fluid, otherwise you can mess it up.