Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Issue re-attaching stabilizer bar and kuckle to lwr ctrl arm

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Issue re-attaching stabilizer bar and kuckle to lwr ctrl arm

Probably, all 4th generation Accords have the double wishbone suspension as does my 91 Accord LX manual tranny. The problem is that I removed, on the passenger side, the bolt that attaches the stabilizer bar to the lower control arm (see photo highlight A ) and I also removed the bolt that attached the knuckle to the lower control arm (see photo highlight B). I did this because I thought it would help to remove the radius arm to get it out of the way to drop the transaxle for clutch work. The clutch work has been completed and the transaxle is back on, but now I'm trying to figure out a way that's cost effective to get the bolts of the stabilizer bar and knuckle to align with the lower control arm again? I tried using scissor jacks to align the knuckle to the lower control arm but to no avail because the knuckle and control arm moved as one.

Dave

Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Issue re-attaching stabilizer bar and kuckle to lwr ctrl arm

Stabilizer bar, no way you are going to get it attached if both arms are not in equal rise/droop.
If you raise/drop one side but not the other you will not get the sway bar reattched at the endlinks. So don't worry about that at the moment. Sway bar is a torsion spring, don't fight it.
Get all the hardware and end link bushings out of the way, un bolt the other side end link from the sway bar. Make sure to get all the washers/bushings/spacers on the bolts and keep them safe for the time being.

Loosen the pivot bolt for the lower control arm, this will allow you to easily move the arm up/down to where you need it.
Line up the bolt hole for the lower coil-over mount. Slide the bolt through, put the nut on but do not torque the nut.
Place the jack under the lower control arm to raise it and align the BJ stud to get into the hole raise the arm up and put the LBJ nut on. 40ftlbs IIRC.
Make sure the opposite side is in equal droop.
Get the sway bar end-link on one side together and just get it on enough to get the nut threaded to keep the parts together, not tightened or snugged up.
Go to the opposite side and assemble the end-link as well. If you still have the original Honda hardware just snug the nut to 14lbft, go back to the other side and do the same.
Put the wheels/lug nuts on the car and put weight of the car on the wheels.
Roll the car forward and back a few times to make sure it is level and the tires are not binding the suspension up.
Crawl back under the car and tighten the inner control arm bolt to 40lbft, and the lower coilover mount to 47lbft.

In future, don't bother even looking at the lower coilover bolt. I've replaced transmissions and CV axles on these cars and have never touched the coilover 'fork' nut/bolt.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Issue re-attaching stabilizer bar and kuckle to lwr ctrl arm

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
un bolt the other side end link from the sway bar.
Just to clarify what you meant above, is it to unbolt the stabilizer bar from the driver side lower control arm?

When I unbolted the passenger stabilizer bar from the lower control arm I then proceeded to unbolt the knuckle from the lower control arm all the while the car was up in that air on four jack stands and still is.

When you mentioned 40ftlbs IIRC. IIRC = International Integrated Reporting Council?

Make sure the opposite side is in equal droop.
Opposite side as in the other lower control arm at the drive's side? Wait, this probably means the driver side LBJ nut should be threaded in the same amount as the passenger one, right?

Get the sway bar end-link on one side together and just get it on enough to get the nut threaded to keep the parts together, not tightened or snugged up.=left
Go to the opposite side and assemble the end-link as well.
Since I did not touch the drivers side of the stabilizer bar couldn't I just loosen that side enough and maybe that gives enough play on the passenger side to get the bolt thru all those rubbers and thru the lower control arm?

=left
...and the lower coilover mount to 47lbft.
Just to clarify, that's for the bolt that holds the knuckle to the lower control arm?

Thanks for the input Mad_Mike! =left