Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Intake or cat-back exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake or cat-back exhaust???

I am 17 years old and I have a 1999 accord Ex 5-speed. My parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told them either an AEM cold air intake or a Megan Racing cat-back exhaust. Now that Christmas is coming up my parents want to know which one that I want and that is where i need some help. First, has anybody heard anything good or bad about Megan Racing products? second, would it better to get the intake or the exhaust? Any help would be helpful. Thanx.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Intake or cat-back exhaust??? (vtecpower3088)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecpower3088 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cold air intake or a Megan Racing cat-back exhaust.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ask for a turbo kit

if they wont get you that i would go with the exhaust just cuz it cost more$$$$
Old 11-24-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Intake or cat-back exhaust??? (hondabum4life)

very good idea, the exhaust would be the best route just because the intake would be alot easier to buy yourself, you always want the most expensive thing for christmas because your not paying for it
Old 11-24-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Intake or cat-back exhaust??? (HondaMike17)

Either one is fine. Neither really benefits more than the other as far as the power is concerned. Id probably get the exhaust since it costs more
Old 11-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get both this christmas... and tell them that next year they don't need to give you a gift.. because you want intake and the exhaust THIS year!!!!
Old 11-26-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Intake or cat-back exhaust??? (gianinline)

Thanx for all the help. I did ask my parents for a whole new turbo kit but they said that it was too much. So I went with the exhaust. Although I couldn't get the turbo for christmas, there may be an alternative. And that's where I need some help. My uncle has a 1989 Mazda RX-7 twin turbo. He got a new engine with new turbos and asked if I would like to have one of his old turbos that still work fine. My question is that will it be worth it to spend the money on piping, intercooler, etc or would it be better to wait and try to get a new turbo during the upcoming summer/fall. Also would this turbo screw up my engine? Any help is appreciated. Thanx.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

assuming you don't know a jack sh-t about turbo, NO, stay away from pieceing them together.

if you know anything about twin turbo, the one off FC is tiny as ding dong

Old 11-27-2005, 07:06 AM

I thought FC's are single turboed
Old 11-27-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Intake or cat-back exhaust??? (iam7head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iam7head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">assuming you don't know a jack sh-t about turbo, NO, stay away from pieceing them together.

if you know anything about twin turbo, the one off FC is tiny as ding dong

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeh dont go for one of those turbos, its twin turbo and does put out more power than 1, but each turbo is really damn small, if your only going to use one it makes no sense, just wait and get a better turbo with the whole kit, unlessss, you find a mazda rx7 for like 800 bucks and then u can take his twin turbo setup
Old 11-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd go for the more expensive mod. you can buy the intake yourself. short ram is usually the perferred route than cai. depending on where you live. if you live in high moisture/rainy area stay clear of cai's. you don't want to risk water getting in the motor. i know they make a bypass filter but y risk it. you can by a short ram for less than 40-50 bucks. ebay are fine. cai will cost more than 150 usually.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intake or cat-back exhaust??? (flight50)

Why not go with something apperance wise? maybe a CF hood or front lip or some cheap rims? An exhaust isn't really going to do much besides make alot of noise and as it looks like right now, if you have to wait for christmas to come just to put anything on your car then im guessin your not makin much or any money at all no offense intended
Old 11-27-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Intake or cat-back exhaust??? (Fook_me_honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fook_me_honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not go with something apperance wise? maybe a CF hood or front lip or some cheap rims?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you sir are a ricer, no offense intended
Old 11-27-2005, 03:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaMike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you sir are a ricer, no offense intended</TD></TR></TABLE> hahaha

megan racing parts are real nice and top quality fyi
Old 11-27-2005, 06:58 PM

Instead of an AEM intake, I would recommend getting an ebay intake. One of those ones that has two pipes so it can be SR or CAI. And then buy a K&N filter. It would be a lot cheaper and you don't have to worry about hydrolocking your motor.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaMike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you sir are a ricer, no offense intended</TD></TR></TABLE>
I am a ricer because i dare to defy the laws of JDM
Old 11-28-2005, 02:07 AM
Farts in the shower

Why not suspension, it makes the car handle better and more enjoyable to drive AND offers cosmetic upgrades as well. Intake and exhaust IMO are just expensive noise makers.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: Intake or cat-back exhaust??? (.ken)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .ken &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not suspension, it makes the car handle better and more enjoyable to drive AND offers cosmetic upgrades as well. Intake and exhaust IMO are just expensive noise makers.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. After suspension, exhaust, because if you decide to do some decent upgrade to your car, you won't need to change it out. Intake is pretty worthless.

Shocks/springs, front strut, rear sway, happy camper
Old 11-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Intake or cat-back exhaust??? (Fook_me_honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fook_me_honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not go with something apperance wise? maybe a CF hood or front lip or some cheap rims? </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .ken &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not suspension, it makes the car handle better and more enjoyable to drive AND offers cosmetic upgrades as well. Intake and exhaust IMO are just expensive noise makers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree w/both. a sweet lip kit would be awesome, and rims are about the easiest mod (if you can call it a mod) to do and makes the most drastic change in apperance.
also suspension work will really make your car more fun to drive.. or lower your car..
i dont think you can go wrong w/any of the above.

and just because you want to do something to your car..add a lip kit or something like that, doesnt make you a ricer. geez. tasteful mods arent rice..distasteful mods are..gaudy graphics, gigantic useless wings..ect...
and even then.. if its what you like..more power to ya.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Intake or cat-back exhaust??? (.ken)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .ken &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not suspension, it makes the car handle better and more enjoyable to drive AND offers cosmetic upgrades as well. Intake and exhaust IMO are just expensive noise makers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I learned the hard way, but now looking back i would have put all of my money into suspension before i even thought about bolt ons like i/h/e. For the price of a nice exhaust and a cheap intake you could get a nice basic budget setup.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Intake or cat-back exhaust??? (dmurphy2k3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dmurphy2k3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I learned the hard way, but now looking back i would have put all of my money into suspension before i even thought about bolt ons like i/h/e. For the price of a nice exhaust and a cheap intake you could get a nice basic budget setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-28-2005, 01:25 PM

Hell yeah get the exhaust cuz itll cost more so you only gotta worry about throwin down 200 bucks for a intake (AEM)
Old 12-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (casmello)

I have a Megan Racing Catback and its great.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: (xAznRac3rx02)

do you get the 2G rpm rattle? and this **** is old yo i think that he maid up his mind
Old 12-13-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: (xAznRac3rx02)

I just noticed that for the price of another catback system such as Greddy EVO2, you could get a Megan Racing Header AND catback exhaust. Are there noticeable gains from Megan Racing products? I've heard of it a little bit, but didn't think it's on the same level as some of the bigger companies. They always say you get what you pay for....
Old 12-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

I think their headers are great. I have their JDM 4-1 Header too, and i can't complain. I've seen some dynos of it, but can't remember the numbers.

Quick Reply: Intake or cat-back exhaust???