Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!!

I am trying to change my oil filter and am having a hard time doing so, I keep turning it right with the filter wrench and the filter has holes in it from the wrench now. I was wondering if it is ok to run the car with it like this if i use some tape to cover the holes, i just dont have anymore time to fix this and have to take the car to school tommrow morning early. I was thinking about just adding more oil so the stuf that comes out there will be more left so i dont break my motor. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (vtech_tuner)

i wouldn't advise that, you better keep trying to get the oil filter off...if there is already holes in it so all the oil has leaked out from the filter try sticking a screwdriver through it and twist....sounds like someone did not oil up the oil filter gasket last time the filter was changed...i suggest you DO NOT drive with holes in you oil filter, at the very least you will be spewing oil all over the place making things nasty in you engine compartment, plus covering the backside of your car in oil....if bearing damage doesnt take place first because you cant refill as much/fast as you lose oil....oh yeah, the tape will most definatley not work to plug the holes as the oiling system is under pressure and will force its way through/past the tape...
Old 08-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (vtech_tuner)

a good strap wrench might do the trick. next time just put it hand tight and it won't be so hard to remove. are you turning it the right way (counterclockwise). if you jam a screwdriver straight through it, that might work but you could just totally destroy the filter. For a strap wrench to work you will have to totally clean the oil off of it and try to put the wrench as high up on the filter as you can.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless Honda has decided to use counter clockwise threads (turn left to tighten, like the old Chrysler's used to), you've been turning the filter in the wrong direction.

" I am trying to change my oil filter and am having a hard time doing so, I keep turning it right with the filter wrench "

I'm probably mis-understanding, but when facing the filter from it's end you turn it counter clockwise to loosen it.

Do NOT start the car with the filter in the condition you've last discribed. The filter sees up to 80psi of oil pressure and with those holes, the engine will be pumped dry within seconds (bad)

Blkflsh is correct. Drive a screwdriver thru the oil filter case and trist the filter off.

P
Old 08-03-2005, 06:59 PM

yeah, i was just thinking that when i read his post. Turn the filter to the left. And i agree with using the strap wrench. Its prolly your best bet.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (4thgen)

what i always hand tighten them on....thats how i learned it...
Old 08-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (fw190bvi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fw190bvi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what i always hand tighten them on....thats how i learned it...</TD></TR></TABLE>
I also only hand-tighten it (and put some fresh oil on the gasket).

And yes, turn it to the left to take it off, not the right.

And this is going to sound goofy, but memorize this phrase:
"lefty-loosey, righty-tighty".
Old 08-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (fw190bvi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fw190bvi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what i always hand tighten them on....thats how i learned it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, it was probably hand tightened when it was put on, but most likley there was no oil put on the sealing surface of the oil filter gasket, and who knows how long the oil filter has been on the motor......=one stuck oil filter...
Old 08-04-2005, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (momstaxi)

For stuck oil filters, I've never used a strap wrench but I have a pair of grips that look like this:

http://www.tuitools.com/Product-200451795431.jpg

Of course... I've never actually taken off a Honda OEM oil filter, the first one I put on was only a couple of thousand miles ago. The ones I used before that were the Frams which, for all the things that are said bad about them, I'll give them credit for putting a grip at the end which makes them easy to tighten / loosen by hand.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (P_Adams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P_Adams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless Honda has decided to use counter clockwise threads (turn left to tighten, like the old Chrysler's used to), you've been turning the filter in the wrong direction.

" I am trying to change my oil filter and am having a hard time doing so, I keep turning it right with the filter wrench "

I'm probably mis-understanding, but when facing the filter from it's end you turn it counter clockwise to loosen it.

Do NOT start the car with the filter in the condition you've last discribed. The filter sees up to 80psi of oil pressure and with those holes, the engine will be pumped dry within seconds (bad)

Blkflsh is correct. Drive a screwdriver thru the oil filter case and trist the filter off.

P</TD></TR></TABLE>
that's the ticket. /thread

or just wrap some duct tape around the filter and go for a nice long drive. when the tow truck brings you home you can post and ask us what the bright yellow oil light in your dash means.

i sincerely hope this is just a weak troll attempt...
Old 08-04-2005, 08:25 AM

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (notoriousB)

lol... has any one ever tryed those adapters that fit on the end of an oil filter and they can plug into a ratchet they look like they would make things easyer.. i hate how to oil filter is behind the damn axle it leaves no room for leverage with the bulky oil filter tool
Old 08-04-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (Dj14aZnS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dj14aZnS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol... has any one ever tryed those adapters that fit on the end of an oil filter and they can plug into a ratchet they look like they would make things easyer.. i hate how to oil filter is behind the damn axle it leaves no room for leverage with the bulky oil filter tool</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, but i did consider getting one of those....

frankly, ive got a strap that i just use to take it off....being that the filter so soo damn hot, and even with the Fram's grips, gloves dont grip on it....theres plenty of room with the strap...i just love getttng some nice burn marks on my forearm from the axle

whatever you do DONT OVERFILL THE MOTOR....i know a guy who has 105 compression numbers in all 4 cylinders on his red top sr20 because he put in "extra"
Old 08-04-2005, 11:59 AM

hah ai now whatyou mean... i ve heard that break cleaner dust cools it down.. or sumthing liek that sum kind of break cleaner i forgot...

i also hate it when you have to take the filter off and if you dont keep the top facing up while our taking it out.. the oil spill down my arm.. im getting pretty good at it now to where it only spills on my hards...
Old 08-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (Dj14aZnS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dj14aZnS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...i also hate it when you have to take the filter off and if you dont keep the top facing up while our taking it out.. the oil spill down my arm.. im getting pretty good at it now to where it only spills on my hards...</TD></TR></TABLE>I have an old baking pan (10" x 13"?) that I hold up when I take the filter off, just let the filter drop the 5" or 6" into that. I still get a little oil on my hand, but not much. Then I put the filter upside down on the main oil recovery box, letting it drain. When I'm done I pour all of the oil out of the pan that'll easily come out and then use paper towels to wipe it down before putting it back in my garage.

Speaking of the filter, do places like Autozone or Wal-Mart take the old filters, or do you just toss them into the trash after letting them drain? Of course I take the oil for recycling, but I've always just pitched the filter.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dj14aZnS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol... has any one ever tryed those adapters that fit on the end of an oil filter and they can plug into a ratchet they look like they would make things easyer.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I use the oil filter sockets. They work great except for the tightest ones.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (Heat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Heat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an old baking pan (10" x 13"?) that I hold up when I take the filter off, just let the filter drop the 5" or 6" into that. I still get a little oil on my hand, but not much. Then I put the filter upside down on the main oil recovery box, letting it drain. When I'm done I pour all of the oil out of the pan that'll easily come out and then use paper towels to wipe it down before putting it back in my garage.

Speaking of the filter, do places like Autozone or Wal-Mart take the old filters, or do you just toss them into the trash after letting them drain? Of course I take the oil for recycling, but I've always just pitched the filter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that sounds like a good idea but i got it down to where there is minimal spill now.. just a few drops... as for the filter im not sure.. i usualy just drain it and toss it.. but since its metal maybe you can take it to a recycle place...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use the oil filter sockets. They work great except for the tightest ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OoO.. thanx for the input i think i just might have to purchase one very inexpensive and im thinking it will same me a lot of time
Old 08-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (Heat)

Some states consider used oil filters hazardous waste ('cuz of the trapped oil). In Rogue Island (Intentional slip) where I drive, the states require the shops to store them in seperate containers, from which they're sent to a hazardous waste site.
Check with your local Autozone, they should be up on the ordinances in your state.

P
Old 08-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (P_Adams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P_Adams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some states consider used oil filters hazardous waste ('cuz of the trapped oil). In Rogue Island (Intentional slip) where I drive, the states require the shops to store them in seperate containers, from which they're sent to a hazardous waste site.
Check with your local Autozone, they should be up on the ordinances in your state.

P</TD></TR></TABLE>

yo P u r right down here in AZ we have to put in separate barrel and pay
the oil company to dispose of them properly they charge us $ 75 a barrel
Old 08-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (deserthonda)

Just another Money Grab Scam on the part of local governments to put the small businessman out of business.
What do you figure?, about three (3) 55 gallon barrels of filters every two months?
Between that and waste oil: Ouch$$$$

P
Old 08-06-2005, 08:21 PM

This is one of the lamest threads in all time. I wouldnt let you ride in my car, let alone touch it. HYou probably think dirty thoughts when you destroy a filter dont you. I bet it was a fram tough gaurd, cause people who dont know **** about **** buy those things, they have nice sandpaper grip so you dont need a strap wrench. Also invest it a Firlter Plier, its adjustable in the middle so you can do "Biguns" or "Dinky" ones, they even have red handles and you can get em at Napa. Im sorry ive been drinking, and its hot out. forgive me.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (4.6LJeepXJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4.6LJeepXJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is one of the lamest threads in all time. I wouldnt let you ride in my car, let alone touch it. HYou probably think dirty thoughts when you destroy a filter dont you. I bet it was a fram tough gaurd, cause people who dont know **** about **** buy those things, they have nice sandpaper grip so you dont need a strap wrench. Also invest it a Firlter Plier, its adjustable in the middle so you can do "Biguns" or "Dinky" ones, they even have red handles and you can get em at Napa. Im sorry ive been drinking, and its hot out. forgive me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your an ***...dont drink and post, simple as thjat
Old 08-06-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (4.6LJeepXJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4.6LJeepXJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is one of the lamest threads in all time. I wouldnt let you ride in my car, let alone touch it. HYou probably think dirty thoughts when you destroy a filter dont you. I bet it was a fram tough gaurd, cause people who dont know **** about **** buy those things, they have nice sandpaper grip so you dont need a strap wrench. Also invest it a Firlter Plier, its adjustable in the middle so you can do "Biguns" or "Dinky" ones, they even have red handles and you can get em at Napa. Im sorry ive been drinking, and its hot out. forgive me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your a fuking dumbass... (-_-).GTFO.. if you wouldve read we already covered everything..
Old 08-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ yea but it might be possible to get some oil on to the cat which could cause some bad smells so I wouldn't really recommend driving it around.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!! (naoandlata)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by naoandlata &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ yea but it might be possible to get some oil on to the cat which could cause some bad smells so I wouldn't really recommend driving it around.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your biggest concern is loosing all your oil pressure within the first few seconds, and siezing the motor
Old 08-06-2005, 09:52 PM

LOL did any1 notic the guys name? the original poster? lol haha i wonder if hes serious... lol poor fella if hes serious...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by naoandlata &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ yea but it might be possible to get some oil on to the cat which could cause some bad smells so I wouldn't really recommend driving it around.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea im pretty sure by the time his engine will burn up

Quick Reply: I cant figure out my car, Oil filter is weird, help???!!!