Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

how much for a decent turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much for a decent turbo?

how's it goin?
i drive a 5gen. w/ 97H22a swap. None engine work have done. Only intake, header and exhaust. I was wondering how much does it cost to put a turbo(The total cost including like engine mod. , parts, etc...)? so i know how much i should save up for it.
i want it to be decent fast. Fast enough to beat the "Cobra-Stang", S2K or the 350Z, etc...
How much in total i will have to spend ?

Thanks all.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Re: how much for a decent turbo? (g5h22)

well since you have the h22a already....prolly only 5 or so grand left
Old 06-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: how much for a decent turbo? (FatJoe)

10 grand flat and it will not run on pump gas
Old 06-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know what these guys are talking about. You obviously need a kit, becuase you don't seem to know much about turbos at all. If you just want a basic turbo kit, you could get it for $3250. However if you want to get hondat and have it tuned, etc. You're looking at around $4,500. If you became more savvy with turbos, you could do the former for $2000, and the latter for $3250 max.

You will be able to sell your intake and header.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Atheist)

so,

$ 3520 - Turbo kit
$ ____ - Tune
$ ____ - Engine Mod.

Is there anything else? can some1 fill in the blank please?
can a basic Turbo-kit beat the Cobra? i wanna kill the stinky stang. I know i might need some Engine mod. for advance turbo, in that case how much does that cost?

Thanks all for replied!

Modified by g5h22 at 6:44 AM 6/10/2004
Old 06-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (g5h22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g5h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so,

$ 3520 - Turbo kit
$ ____ - Tune
$ ____ - Engine Mod.

Is there anything else? can some1 fill in the blank please?
can a basic Turbo-kit beat the Cobra? i wanna kill the stinky stang. I know i might need some Engine mod. for advance turbo, in that case how much does that cost?

Thanks all for replied!</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you get a good tune you wont need to mod your engine to beat a measly s2k If I were you, I'd buy a kit someone else is selling on HT (not like a greddy kit) that doesnt have any kind of fuel management, then buy a hondata for fuel management (www.hondata.com) and have that dyno tuned. Usually tuning is ~$150/hr so I'd say figure about 250 bucks for tuning.

All and all, I'd say to do it right you're looking at 4500 bucks. I would spend a lot of time learning so you dont make any expensive mistakes.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Atheist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know what these guys are talking about. You obviously need a kit, becuase you don't seem to know much about turbos at all. If you just want a basic turbo kit, you could get it for $3250. However if you want to get hondat and have it tuned, etc. You're looking at around $4,500. If you became more savvy with turbos, you could do the former for $2000, and the latter for $3250 max.

You will be able to sell your intake and header.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ever heard of having to rebuild the h22 considering the high compression and when you lower the compression with pistons you need to resleeve as well and stronger rods should be in there as well.... 3250 max if you steal most the parts...
Old 06-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FatJoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FatJoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ever heard of having to rebuild the h22 considering the high compression and when you lower the compression with pistons you need to resleeve as well and stronger rods should be in there as well.... 3250 max if you steal most the parts...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're crazy. First of all, there are PLENTY of h22 turbo's that are dead stock. The 'high compression' is actually not that much. 10.6 for a JDM motor is only .2 higher than a b16 and is THE SAME as a JDM gsr. Are you telling me that everyone with a GSR-T is running new pistons? 10.6 cr is fine, just get a good tune and you can really crank that boost up.

2nd flaw in your logic is that if you lower the compression, you dont have to resleeve. You can lower it with a thicker head gasket, or just by getting a cupped piston. You only have to HONE it, not sleeve it. This is so the new rings have a nice, true surface to expand into.

3rd flaw is that as long as you dont up the boost TOO much, and have a good tune, your stock rods (along with pistons) would be FINE.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:13 PM

i would say about 4500 on stock internals
Old 06-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks every1 that replied my post!

So, if i run 10.6 psi w/ a Stock motor, can my motor last a pretty long time?
*what is the higher psi can a stock motor can handle ? And can i still beat a Cobra or the "Z" ?

You know a lot Atheist, do u have a turbo yourself on a H22a too ?

Old 06-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hahaha a bunch of bs
Old 06-09-2004, 10:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Atheist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're crazy. First of all, there are PLENTY of h22 turbo's that are dead stock. The 'high compression' is actually not that much. 10.6 for a JDM motor is only .2 higher than a b16 and is THE SAME as a JDM gsr. Are you telling me that everyone with a GSR-T is running new pistons? 10.6 cr is fine, just get a good tune and you can really crank that boost up.

2nd flaw in your logic is that if you lower the compression, you dont have to resleeve. You can lower it with a thicker head gasket, or just by getting a cupped piston. You only have to HONE it, not sleeve it. This is so the new rings have a nice, true surface to expand into.

3rd flaw is that as long as you dont up the boost TOO much, and have a good tune, your stock rods (along with pistons) would be FINE.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, I got a good laugh out of this just because I know what is to come. BTW to beat a new cobra with a little FWD. You WILL need to resleeve the engine and get lower cr with stronger rods(unless you have no care for your engine). I don't see 390 or even 325 hp for eariler models coming out of a stock internal h22.
Good Luck.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Atheist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You really have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im feeling nice today...so....no comment..
Old 06-10-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g5h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks every1 that replied my post!

*what is the higher psi can a stock motor can handle ? And can i still beat a Cobra or the "Z" ?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

bwhhahahah.....u need to make a video like that DSM guy....so when u blow holes in your block, your rods bend like paperclips,and your flywheel slices through and gets lodged in you pistons, we can all point and say "i told you so"
Old 06-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fw190bvi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fw190bvi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and your flywheel slices through and gets lodged in you pistons</TD></TR></TABLE>

whoa! damn... that's a new one on me
Old 06-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks every1 that replied my post!

Old 06-13-2004, 03:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g5h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks every1 that replied my post!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm..... why did you copy and paste ur post a while ago back into the same thread??? do research in the FI forum...they know all you need to know.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: (FatJoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g5h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

*what is the higher psi can a stock motor can handle ?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha hmm...it all depends. on an f, i can see that. on an h22, im not sure how long it would go, even well tuned. there is no set amount that a stock motor can handle, it depends how strong your engine is before you turbo it, and how well it is tuned. its like saying how long can a person get beat up before they fight back, well it all depends.