Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

HELP! 96 Accord EX Dies when clutch is let out, stays running if pushed in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 96 Accord EX Dies when clutch is let out, stays running if pushed in?

96 Honda Accord DX.
I have recently put a new clutch on the car and timing belt (Timing belt was done first with no adverse affects for about 6 months, then the clutch was installed) and since completion of the clutch install the car has started to die when driving down the road, I can push the clutch in and it will run, start to let out and at about 3/4 or more out the car will die again. I had this happen twice then parked it, the car idles fine, takes off fine but it has done this both times about a mile from the house at around 2K-2.5K RPM in 5th going down the highway. I know the flywheel is lined up correctly since there is a pin in it for alignment, could the timing be off a little and cause excessive crank vibration to set off the crank sensor? I do not feel excessive crank play while pulling it back and forth and the engine idles fine although I did have to turn the idle up for it to idle around 800 900 RPM after the belt install.

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Old 12-05-2006, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HELP! 96 Accord EX Dies when clutch is let out, stays running if pushed in? (ceaborn)

You need to define the real problem; first you say that the car dies if you let the clutch out, then you say you can let the clutch out and take off and shift thru the gears, working the clutch, okay? WTF??
Is the problem that the car just dies at random? do all the dash lights stay on when it dies?
did you double check the wire harness in the trans bell housing area?
Old 12-06-2006, 05:51 AM

Default Re: HELP! 96 Accord EX Dies when clutch is let out, stays running if pushed in? (ceaborn)

As Stated above, I had this happen twice then parked it. The car idles fine, takes off fine but it has done this both times about a mile from the house at around 2K-2.5K RPM in 5th going down the highway. I would think this would self explanatory? The car does fine until it decides to act up, when it does act up that is when the car dies with the clutch out going down the highway, push it in it runs, I can sit there and get the car to move a few feet by letting the clutch out then it dies again, then it will act fine after doing the clutch in clutch out 15 or 20 times. It you cant respond without using curs words or demeaning comments please do not respond, I can do without your kind of help.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:37 AM

Replace the
Old 12-06-2006, 01:27 PM

Default Re: HELP! 96 Accord EX Dies when clutch is let out, stays running if pushed in? (hondadude)

To bad it is out of service, if it was working maybe with it you could have seen this at the top of the post. Year and Model?

« Re: HELP! 96 Accord EX Dies when clutch is let out, stays running if pushed in? (ceaborn)
Old 12-06-2006, 02:48 PM
jimjonez

Default Re: HELP! 96 Accord EX Dies when clutch is let out, stays running if pushed in? (hondadude)

CHECK YOUR DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND <SPARK PLUGS AND WIRING>
Old 12-06-2006, 06:40 PM
99-0104

Default Re: HELP! 96 Accord EX Dies when clutch is let out, stays running if pushed in? (jimjonez)

take it to a mechanic... if you don't have confidence in a timing belt job you did 6 months ago then i don't think you can diagnose the problem ... you can barely explain the symptoms
Old 12-07-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Re: HELP! 96 Accord EX Dies when clutch is let out, stays running if pushed in? (Stripped Honda)

I was warned ahead of time about this forum and chose to give it a try, they were right. So far all you have offered is criticism and hostility that is what people offer in the place of knowledge and intelligence. If you cant help then Shut THU. People who are insecure often have to put others down to try to lift themselves up, I am sorry I threatened you!
Poor soul.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ceaborn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I would think this would self explanatory? </TD></TR></TABLE>

if it is you shouldn't need our help correct?

there is more to it then what you are describing...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ceaborn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was warned ahead of time about this forum and chose to give it a try, they were right. </TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe "they" should fix your car..
Old 12-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow . . . just wow. Come in with less than 10 posts, expect a perfect answer over the internet after a poor description of the problem, and then tell us that "they" warned you and we are of no help.

Good luck getting any sort of help now with your problem. How about this. Go buy the manual and figure it out yourself.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ceaborn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To bad it is out of service, if it was working maybe with it you could have seen this at the top of the post. Year and Model?

« Re: HELP! 96 Accord EX Dies when clutch is let out, stays running if pushed in? (ceaborn)</TD></TR></TABLE>

You realize that's just part of his signature right? It shows up automatically in ALL of his posts, because most people here don't mention what the hell they drive.

The truth of the matter is that the original way you explained it was confusing and not clear at all. Your statements contradicted one other. The problem seems clear to you because you drive the car on a regular basis. We, on the other hand, have to rely on your interpretation and ability to describe the problem. Maybe you didn't notice, but hondadude asked some questions to help narrow down the problem.

To be honest, your attitude is what makes things worse around here and is what brings out the rudeness in people. Don't take everything so damn personally. The people who DO know what they're talking about are tired of taking **** from people who THINK they know what they're talking about. I guarantee you that this is one of the most helpful sites you'll ever find, but you can't act better than everyone else, and you can't expect people to always speak/type in a polite, politically correct manner. This isn't a business environment. You don't pay to participate on these forums. It is absolutely FREE and people are here on there own free time to help YOU. We don't get anything in return for helping you. People can be intelligent and knowledgeable without having to be prim and proper.

Now... If you want to calm down and realize this is just the INTERNET, then maybe people will be willing to help you again.