Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Heater not getting hot! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater not getting hot! HELP

I have a 90 Accord LX with no mods. Everything is stock. I bought the car back in May and when I bought it there was constantly hot air coming through the vents. The A/C did not work so I took it to a shop and they recharged my A/C and it blew cold air and I also put a new HCV (heater control valve) on it. Never messed with the heater until now and it won't get hot for nothing. It is warm at best. The blower motor works as it should and the water is circulating through the heater core. I put a new thermostat (oe spec) from O'Riellys in it around July. As best as I can tell everything is working as it should but just not getting hot. There is no water on thee inside of the car from leaks or drainage. Does anyone have ideas on what I can try to get my heater back? Also when I put it on Defrost there is very little air that comes through the defroster vents. PLEASE HELP!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know that there is water circulating through the heater core? Just asking since a problem like this usually means either the controls are not opening the valve correctly, or the valve is stuck.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the dash engine temp gauge read within the expected range?

If you feel no resistance to your temp selector ****, the first control cable may have broken. It's possible that something may have come adrift in the heater case.
You may be able to manually open the Hot Water Control Valve by hand (it has a small lever the cable attached to it) to get you some heat until you can have it looked at.

Heater Control Detail;

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...L+%28BUTTON%29

Heater case detail:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=HEATER+UNIT

P
Old 12-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

didnt read the entire op but i would say thermostat
Old 12-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your getting semi warm air then you are probably right about the heater core circulating coolant but be sure of that first. As P_Adams said it could be an in-operative or partially stuck heater control valve. If the valve is working and coolant is in-fact circulating, then it is the heater core cover door, it is controlled by the temperature control ****. There is a solid cable that controls this door and the cable housing is fastened with clips. If you remove the instrument cluster/climate control fascia then you can access the cable and operate the door manually. If you get heat then it's probably this door control cable or the fastening clips.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:53 PM

The cable is still attached to the backside of the **** and its connected to the arms below the dash and it is operating the heater control valve on the firewall as it is suppose to. I say that the water is circulating because the hose coming into the valve is hot and I can feel pressure on the hose and the return hose coming from the heater core is also warm and I can feel pressure. I know I should have pulled the return hose to be sure but I didn't feel like doing it. The coolant gauge on the car does not work. When I bought the car it read "cool" and in 2 minutes after starting the car it went all the way to "H". I put a new sending unit switch on it and now it just stays on "C". I just unplugged the lead off of the temp switch. I think I tried plugging in back in but I don't believe it seemed to make anything better.