Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Factory alarm going off - Broken keyfob- Need serious help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory alarm going off - Broken keyfob- Need serious help

Hey all, haven't been here in a while but I'm back since I need some serious help.

My friend bought a 1997 Accord SE about 8 months back. It has a factory alarm installed but is never used since the keyfob remote for it is damaged (never worked when we got it with the car)

This whole time we haven't had a single problem with the alarm since we could never arm it. We've even replaced the car battery about 4 months back and had no issues at all. All she normally does is she parks her car, shuts it off, exits car and locks the car with her key. Simple as that. Well just 5 minutes ago she came home, parked the car, shut it off, and as soon as she opened the door, the horn starts blaring like crazy. She also can't turn on the car since the alarm is killing the ignition. If we try to start the car, the alarm goes off again. If we try to open the door, same happens. It's embarrassing because it's almost 11pm at night at an apartment complex. The alarm goes off for about a minute and then stops. Now whenever she does ANYTHING with the car, the horn/alarm goes off. We can't get it to stop either.

We have been planning on purchasing a new remote but that won't be for another 2 weeks. Until then, I don't know what to do. Is there a trick to manually disabling the factory alarm without the remote? I don't mean actually killing or unplugging the alarm but I mean a way to disarm it using the key.

I don't live too far from her so I rushed over her house just now (it's where I'm at now) with tools to disconnect her battery for now. I haven't unplugged it yet but I know that as soon as I go back downstairs to open the car and hood, the car is going to blare at me for those few seconds. I know that in MY Civic which has an aftermarket Viper alarm, there is a button you can press do disarm the car once I have put in my key. Since her alarm on her Accord is factory, I don't see such a button.

I thank you all in advance for your help.