Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Engine Sputter

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Sputter

97 Honda Accord LX 2.2L

When at idle the engine sputters. It sound like a lot of exhaust puffs out the tail pipe. The RPM stay steady at 700.

I have recently cleaned my EGR ports.

I did find oil in my spark plug wells. Related?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Sputter

anyone jump in and correct me if im wrong haha..
-possibly bad spark plug tube gaskets?
-have you recently done valve adjustments and possibly over tightened them?
-did you test and make sure your EGR isnt stuck open? bc it could cause the engine to sputter at idle if its recirculating exhaust back to cylinders when its not suppossed to
-could possibly check the distributors timing and if its advanced far it can cause the engine to run abit rough..just a thought

just some ideas to look over, good luck!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your reply!

I am going to change the valve cover gasket, spark plug tube gasket, spark plugs and wires and see where that leaves me.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a good start!

best of luck man
Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by billybob8469
97 Honda Accord LX 2.2L

When at idle the engine sputters. It sound like a lot of exhaust puffs out the tail pipe. The RPM stay steady at 700.

I have recently cleaned my EGR ports.

I did find oil in my spark plug wells. Related?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Maybe give it a brisk drive, first, if you haven't already done so. The soot loosened but not removed from the EGR rail, along with the stuff you used to clean it, can take a while and a good hot drive burn off. Mine did. Oil in spark plug wells, probably not the issue.

After the good drive, if it's still a problem, the next step I would take is removing and cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV).. Lots of threads here about it.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:

I put on a new valve cover gasket alone with spark plug tube seals. New NGK wires and NGK Plugs.

Now it drives great and the shutter is gone!

I just bought the car used and the old spark plugs had a gap of .075 and the wires were 1997 originals.

Anyways, the problem is gone for now and the CAR has a LOT of more pick up.

THANKS!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Trial User

I would have started a new thread but since Im a new member it wont let me...
I'm having a similar problem but nothing that I have done so far has corrected anything.
Mine is a 90 accord LX manual transmission.
I drove it on a cross country trip with no troubles at all, then a few days after getting back home my wife took it for a short trip to a couple of stores and the sputters began. THe Check Engine light has not come on.
It starts up and runs just great for about 5 minutes, while the idle is at its initial higher rpm, but then once the computer make the idle speed drop after warming up it sputters and lacks power at moments. It will lack power then suddenly will get a spurt of acceleration, then sputter more.
I first tried new spark plugs (but did not buy new wires), and then a new fuel filter. Checked the air filter, No change. I checked the timing with a light and it looks right (there was not a colored mark like many online guides say to look for, but there was a etched 15 at the mark).
I didnt buy new wires because I checked them one at a time while idling...as I unplugged each one the engine definitely changed rpm/timing, so I decided not to spend an extra $40 on wires that I think are fine. Then after reading many similar issues I cleaned the EGR ports by removing the egr plugs and shooting carb cleaner and ran a stiff wire between all the openings and vacuuming it as best I could. I also removed the EGR valve and cleaned it. It seems to move fine when I manually move it or suck a little bit through the vacuum port. However, unplugging the EGR port electrical and vacuum hose does not correct the problem, it does not seem to change anything while idling.
Another issue I know it has is that there was oil inside 2 of the spark plug tubes (im not sure if that is causing the issue), and there must be some sort of exhaust leak somewhere between the engine and the muffler, because it has a somewhat louder exhaust sound coming out from somewhere under the car (it has been this way for years, the sputtering only just started)
Last thing I noticed is that the vacuum hose going to the EGR valve does not seem to have any suction. I am only able to check it while the car is idling, not running down the road, but there is no noticeable suction there. I don't know if that is normal or not.

Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dukeybobby
I would have started a new thread but since Im a new member it wont let me...
I'm having a similar problem but nothing that I have done so far has corrected anything.
Mine is a 90 accord LX manual transmission.
I drove it on a cross country trip with no troubles at all, then a few days after getting back home my wife took it for a short trip to a couple of stores and the sputters began. THe Check Engine light has not come on.
It starts up and runs just great for about 5 minutes, while the idle is at its initial higher rpm, but then once the computer make the idle speed drop after warming up it sputters and lacks power at moments. It will lack power then suddenly will get a spurt of acceleration, then sputter more.
I first tried new spark plugs (but did not buy new wires), and then a new fuel filter. Checked the air filter, No change. I checked the timing with a light and it looks right (there was not a colored mark like many online guides say to look for, but there was a etched 15 at the mark).
I didnt buy new wires because I checked them one at a time while idling...as I unplugged each one the engine definitely changed rpm/timing, so I decided not to spend an extra $40 on wires that I think are fine. Then after reading many similar issues I cleaned the EGR ports by removing the egr plugs and shooting carb cleaner and ran a stiff wire between all the openings and vacuuming it as best I could. I also removed the EGR valve and cleaned it. It seems to move fine when I manually move it or suck a little bit through the vacuum port. However, unplugging the EGR port electrical and vacuum hose does not correct the problem, it does not seem to change anything while idling.
Another issue I know it has is that there was oil inside 2 of the spark plug tubes (im not sure if that is causing the issue), and there must be some sort of exhaust leak somewhere between the engine and the muffler, because it has a somewhat louder exhaust sound coming out from somewhere under the car (it has been this way for years, the sputtering only just started)
Last thing I noticed is that the vacuum hose going to the EGR valve does not seem to have any suction. I am only able to check it while the car is idling, not running down the road, but there is no noticeable suction there. I don't know if that is normal or not.

Any ideas?
First, I'd check the valve timing marks to see if they're dead on; otherwise, that can cause your engine to sputter, lack power, etc. Also, I don't think there's suppose to be vacuum at idle for the EGR as it's normally close at idle. If it opens, the engine will sputter and die right then. That will also indicates that all EGR ports and paths are free of carbon plugging up the passages. Then, get the oil in the spark plugs taken care of. Depends on how much oil goes down there, it can affect how the spark operates.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How long since the timing belt has been changed?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Trial User

I will check out the valve timing marks.
When at idle, if I open the EGR valve with my hand it will cause the engine to stall so that would suggest the ports are clean.
I was given the car about a year ago, and I have no idea when the timing belt was last changed.