Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Driver side door issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side door issues

We had a real cold spell a couple of weeks ago, and in the middle of it, my driver side door stopped opening from the outside. As soon as the weather warmed a bit, i took off the interior panel and fixed the door (the rod had come loose from the door handle). This fixed the problem - for about a week, then the rod came loose again. I was on my way home to research the issue (to see if there was some part that was broken or missing) when I rolled down the window. This was obviously a bad idea, as the door popped open. I rolled the window back up immediately, only to hear a strange pop from the passenger side (near the fuse box). When I stopped the car, i could no longer unlock the car - the car lock popped up, then immediately back down. The driver side door could now not be opened from the inside or the outside. I was open to hold the door lock **** open on the passenger side and slide out that way...
I suspected maybe the fuse has blown (the pop i heard), but it is intact.

So my working theory is that the when the window came down, it knocked something out of whack in the door, which is preventing the locking mechanism from unlocking. If i disconnect the driver side window control panel, the rest of the doors start unlocking properly (but the driver side door appears "stuck").

I figure if I can get a good look inside, I can probably work out what is broken or misaligned and fix it. But how does one get the door open when neither the inside nor the outside handle works?? I tried prying the inside door panel off, but it won't budge with the door closed. I removed the door handle and the window controls panel, hoping to be able to reach into the door to manipulate the rods, but I can't reach much of anything.

Anybody have any ideas on how to open the door? Or get the panel off (that would be a start!)? Or am I missing something else that could make my life easier? Getting in and out of the car from the passenger side is not a pleasant thing!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Driver side door issues

this is a CD5 or CB7??? Usually when you take off the door handle on the inside from the panel, you can see the connecting rods, maybe your window pushed the rods down?? weird. As far as the "popping" goes, are you saying you heard it from inside the engine bay by the fuses there? b/c I dont think there are any fuses on the inside of the cabin on the pass side, only on the drivers side.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:35 AM

I don't know if its a CD5 or CB7 (how does one tell?). There is indeed a rod behind the door handle panel, but it will only go so far (the lock doesn't appear to be disengaging, so no matter how hard I pull, it just won't open the door). I did manage to muscle the entire door panel off this morning, so now I have a little more access. I hooked the outside door handle rod back up, but again, since the lock won't disengage, I can't open the door that way either.
As for the popping, it didn't sound like it was from teh engine bay, rather the very front of the passenger side door (by the hinges). I do indeed have a fuse box there, and fuse #12 is for the power locks - but of course even pulling that won't change the lock situation.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:50 PM

A further update:
It seems the lock actuator is functioning - or attempting to function. The door latch simply won't open. Is this a problem with the latch? or the lock actuator?
And how does one go about removing either of these when the door can not be opened?
Old 01-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This appears to be a problem with the latch and rods. You may have to drill to get the latch opened. To play it safe, once the door is opened, I would recommend replacing the whole latch/actuator assembly.

Post what year your car is, and coupe or sedan. I will post a link to how to open the door in a few minutes.

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-28-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

See this link:

http://techauto.awardspace.com/doorproblem.html
Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks redbull. I have a 2002 4-door sedan.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since your car is a 6th generation, the latch position is a little different than the 4th gen Accord.

Try this first, lower the window, then using the key and either the outside handle or inside handle try to work it open.

If not, here are instruction on how to remove the door panel, albeit your door is still closed; but, you may be able to work most of it off:

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl066e.htm
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 PM

Genius! That worked.
So I assume your original recommendation of replacing the entire latch/actuator assembly still stands? I can't really see a way of "fixing" it.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kluge
Genius! That worked.
So I assume your original recommendation of replacing the entire latch/actuator assembly still stands? I can't really see a way of "fixing" it.
Glad to hear it worked! Yes, I still recommend replacing the entire latch/actuator assembly.