Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Cooling system problem : fans not coming on

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling system problem : fans not coming on

hello people! long time no see... the gray ghost accord is no more.... but i cant seem to get away from these damn hondas... the wife has one (1994 honda accord dx non vtec of course) and its pissing me off i have searched these forums for answers and consulted all data..... First off, the cooling fans are non operational. Neither of them come on. I have replaced the fan timer. I have checked all the fuses in the car with my multi meter, i have checked the relays for proper operation, I have ran the fans with a straight 12 volts.All these tests yielded positive results. the coolant level is fine.have no seen any oil floating in the coolant. thermostat has been replaced, along with a brand new radiator. checked the sensors for continuity at temperature. and even jumpered everything (relays timer and sensors trying to get it to work) still nothing. the only thing i have seen that is questionable is that on two of the wires to the timer i have battery voltage and on the other 2 i had a little less (10.44v) which is why i replaced the timer. I have checked the connectors under the hood i will be doing a voltage drop tests on them for the next couple days. Now short of blowing the thing up anyone know of anything else that could be causing the fans to not work?? (btw i have a date with a compression tester later this week just in case on the longshot its a head gasket) so the recap i have checked both temp sensors ( i have heard about a 3rd one under the distributor cap???) both relays theromstat, coolant level, bled the cooling system,replaced the timer, and checked all the fuses. i have also tried to run the a/c on high to get atleast one of the fans on. the fan motors are good. im just hoping its not a serious (hard to find) electrical problem. any help is much apprciated. Any flames are about searching the forum first are welcomed. i used the search button exensively. thanks guys.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Cooling system problem : fans not coming on (gray_ghost91)

Not sure if this link will help, but here it is. There is some troubleshooting information on the fans. Good luck

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/overheating.php
Old 11-27-2006, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought mine was not operating either at one point .. but I later found that my cooling system mods were very efficient (even with mugen fan switch & thermostat to bring the fans on earlier) that the fans did not need to be on most of the time. Maybe the temperatures outside arent hot enough? Are you overheating?