Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

I have a 97 accord Lx. The check engine light came on and the code reads P0740. I checked on another thread here on H-T and it says " P0740 70 A/T Concerns. What exactly does this mean? What can I do to fix this problem. What should I check to see whats wrong? THx
Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Check Engine Light (a.wax)

I dont know autos but I would suggest calling a honda dealer and telling them the code and then thell tell you what needs to be fixed hoope that helps
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Check Engine Light (I got the CD5 Jeebies!)

My cousin told me it was my tranny. Not sure, but could it be my tranny fluid? I haven't changed it since i bought the car @90k. Now its at 160k.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a.wax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My cousin told me it was my tranny. Not sure, but could it be my tranny fluid? I haven't changed it since i bought the car @90k. Now its at 160k. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well it is a transmission code i belove...I have never owned a auto honda...but from what u stated your tranny deserves to die....describe symptoms of abnormalities in your tranny..Hard shifting&lt; jerking when cold, blah blah blah
have you checked the fluid? ehats it look like besides black thin and smeeling burnt??

where is Yuemmaimai?? he's the auto tranny expert
Old 01-07-2008, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Check Engine Light (I got the CD5 Jeebies!)

why would my tranny deserve to die? Yea it seems to jerk while driving, both during the cold and hot. I haven't checked the fluid yet, because i can't find where the tranny fluid stick is to check... Can u show me a pic where i can find the tranny. Cousin told me it was near the fan to the left side of the car, but i can't seem to find it..
Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 PM

I just went to the Honda Dealership today. They found out that my transmission fluid was leaking due to a broken "right axle seal". They also found out that my Valve cover gasket and spark plugs has oil in it, so they suggest me changing it. They are charging me to fix the "right axle seal" and to flush the tranny fluid for$200. For the valve cover gasket and spark plugs, they're charging me $400. So the total is $600...
Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM

WOW! 200 is reasonable for the tranny fix. but I could change your plugs and valve cover gasket in about half an hour! let them do the tranny, here is how you do the rest...

Unplug the spark plug wires and pull them away from the cover (make sure you mark them so you know which one goes in what plug) then unscrew the plugs. Then there should be 4 or 5 small nuts (8mm I think) on the top of the valve cover. remove them in a criss cross pattern and at the end, tighten them in the same pattern (rear left, front right, front left, rear right... go around a few times just a little bit each time to avoid warping the cover or whatever). now, just pull the cover off. thats it. it may be stuck, which is fine. DO NOT use a screw driver to pry it off, this will cause more leaks. You can use something rubber...maybe a rubber spatula? haha. whatever you can find that wont make a ding. pull it off, replace the gasket, put the cover back on while making sure the gasket doesnt fall out of the little ridge it sits in, then replace the rubber and steel washers that came off where the 4 nuts were, replace the nuts, and tighten criss cross. DO NOT over tighten these nuts, just go till they are snug. replace the plugs, then the wires, and bam, all done. this is easier than changing your oil...

Any valve cover gasket from autozone (felpro) should come with the one gasket and the 4 washers.