Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

burning smell, i dont know where its comming from... fills my interior up with burning rubber smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning smell, i dont know where its comming from... fills my interior up with burning rubber smell

*view topic.... i have a 2002 accord ex and starting yesterday i can smell this random burning smell whenever i stop at a stop light or stops driving. I checked all the fluids and its all good. any one know what i can do or check????.. i checked the filter too and its fine as wel.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: burning smell, i dont know where its comming from... fills my interior up with burning rubber sm

More info. Do you have subs? If you do you might be overheating them. If you dont have subs then forget I said anything.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: burning smell, i dont know where its comming from... fills my interior up with burning rubber sm

have you done any mods or maint recently? (dumb question but hey, gotta ask)
Old 02-06-2004, 08:08 PM

Could also be his brake pads.. since he says when its stopped. Other than that.. I can only think of something rubber in the engine bay touching the engine.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:58 PM

i had that same smell when my clutch was going out? i doubt this has anything to do with it since it is such a new car but thats what mine was....?
Old 02-06-2004, 10:27 PM

I have a smell in my van also, im thinking its my fan motor getting ready to burn up. seeing how i blew a fan fuse the other day. ive also had an alternator freeze up and was that ever a stink. left me stranded in oklahoma for two days and it was colder than ****. so i would check any type motor you may have on at the time, ie fan. alt... then see if you have a vauum hose against a hot pipe, or a bad belt. and this list goes on...........
Old 02-07-2004, 02:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> *view topic.... i have a 2002 accord ex and starting yesterday i can smell this random burning smell whenever i stop at a stop light or stops driving. I checked all the fluids and its all good. any one know what i can do or check????.. i checked the filter too and its fine as wel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be a small oil leak from the valve cover. Nothing major, didn't change the oil level, but it got on the exhaust manifold and smelled. I thought it was rubber at first, but it was actually oil. Just tightened some loose bolts and problem fixed. Might need to change valve cover seal, if that infact is the problem.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:44 PM

thanks a lot, as it turned out, there was actually a plastic bag stuck to my exhause .... as weird as that sounds... i removed the melted bag and it fixed the problem
Old 02-07-2004, 03:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks a lot, as it turned out, there was actually a plastic bag stuck to my exhause .... as weird as that sounds... i removed the melted bag and it fixed the problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

my friends gsr snagged a plastic publix bag on the road and it melted against his header.. he tried to clean it off.. the smell stayed there for like a month.