Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Brake Dust Shield and Wheel Bearing Issues Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Dust Shield and Wheel Bearing Issues Maybe

Alright. Now that my car is driveable again and stuff I notice new problems. 1998 Accord 2.3L 4cyl.
I know the brake dust shield is rusted and i ripped it off 3 months ago. My brakes are vibrating and so i know I need new rotors/pads.

Now a new issue has come which I can't remember if it was there before or not.

But when driving straight I have no weird shaking or vibrating.When I turn to the RIGHT while driving I have a vibration at pretty much any speed. Which gets more worse the sharper the turn is.

My assumtion is that its the passenger wheel bearing beacuse the weights being shifted to the right when turning right.

But this doesnt happen when turning to the left at all.

Also I think I have a slight play in lower ball joint on the right side as well. When i replaced the cat 2 days ago i stuck a wrench inbetween lower BJ and LCA and it moved slightly.

With the wheel unloaded and on jackstands, with my hands at 9 and 3 o'clock......if i push in/out their is some movement, which is very slight. But i remember having this same movemenet before I took the car for a safety inspection 5000KM ago exactly. And my car passed without needed a single thing.

Do I have to get the dust shield replaced before putting new brakes or no? As its a 60 dollar part from dealer and no one seems to make it aftermarket.

Looking at the honda diagram online it looks like the HUB has to be pressed out then you can replace dust shield. after the shields off you can press out the wheel bearing as well. Is this right and has anyone done this at home before?

Last edited by iDs748; 08-21-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Brake Dust Shield and Wheel Bearing Issues Maybe

Originally Posted by iDs748
Alright. Now that my car is driveable again and stuff I notice new problems.

I know the brake dust shield is rusted and i ripped it off 3 months ago. My brakes are vibrating and so i know I need new rotors/pads.

Now a new issue has come which I can't remember if it was there before or not.

But when driving straight I have no weird shaking or vibrating.When I turn to the RIGHT while driving I have a vibration at pretty much any speed. Which gets more worse the sharper the turn is.

My assumtion is that its the passenger wheel bearing beacuse the weights being shifted to the right when turning right.

But this doesnt happen when turning to the left at all.

Also I think I have a slight play in lower ball joint on the right side as well. When i replaced the cat 2 days ago i stuck a wrench inbetween lower BJ and LCA and it moved slightly.

With the wheel unloaded and on jackstands, with my hands at 9 and 3 o'clock......if i push in/out their is some movement, which is very slight. But i remember having this same movemenet before I took the car for a safety inspection 5000KM ago exactly. And my car passed without needed a single thing.

Do I have to get the dust shield replaced before putting new brakes or no? As its a 60 dollar part from dealer and no one seems to make it aftermarket.

Looking at the honda diagram online it looks like the HUB has to be pressed out then you can replace dust shield. after the shields off you can press out the wheel bearing as well. Is this right and has anyone done this at home before?
You're problem is actually with the left wheel/axle assembly. Turning right actually puts more weight on the left.....

If your problem is accompanied by a snapping/clicking noise, you've most likely got a bad cv joint
If it's more a growling/grinding noise, look at the hub bearing.

P
Old 08-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but with a passenger in the car they feel the vibrating on the passenger side. I don't feel nothing on the driver side.....Would it really vibrate on the left if the probelm is with the right bearing?

I know its not an axle cuz their is no clicking.

forgot to ad 98 2dr honda accord 2.3L 4cyl
Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iDs748
but with a passenger in the car they feel the vibrating on the passenger side. I don't feel nothing on the driver side.....Would it really vibrate on the left if the probelm is with the right bearing?

I know its not an axle cuz their is no clicking.

forgot to ad 98 2dr honda accord 2.3L 4cyl
Is this vibratio rythmic?
Corresponds to road speed?
RPM?
Old 08-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P_Adams
Is this vibratio rythmic?
Corresponds to road speed?
RPM?
Yes.

its louder and more agresssive feeling the faster speed you are at while you make the turn.........