Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Brake booster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake booster?

1986 Honda Accord. Brake light is on. I bled system, still have soft peddle. Bench bled and replaced Master cylinder. Now peddle is soft still and I hear air when I push the peddle. No obvious leaks, lines are good. Hissing is coming from front right by booster. Also, this is weird, when I push the peddle the idle will go up and down . If I hold down the brake peddle it will push back up on me and rev at the same time.

Is this a bad booster/vacuum pulling from the carb that's making weird idle/soft peddle? Could this correlated? Or did I maybe pull a vacuum hose while replacing (I checked thoroughly) and that's screwing up the idle?

Please ...your advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake booster? (snoop_bealybob)

There is (I think) a rubber gasket (bushing) that goes in between the MC pushrod and the brake booster. Make sure that is there and that the master cylinder is sealing against the brake booster. I had the same problem and heard the vaccuum leaking around the brake booster. I took the new MC back off and found that it did not come with this seal. I took the old seal off and put it on the new MC pushrod and my vac leak was gone. My idle returned to normal.
If the pedal is still soft you have air in the brake lines and you will need to bleed them at each caliper.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Brake booster? (Stew Pidasso)

That's it! I left the old bushing on the old M/C! Now I have to call the store and see if they'll let me get it! I hope that's all it is. You said you had bad idle too? Thanks!
Old 10-17-2002, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the idle wasn't too bad in gear but in neutral it would go up & down, up & down...

Edit: Your welcome

[Modified by Stew Pidasso, 10:14 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 06:32 PM

haha, I just got back from "the zone" and the guy had the seal waiting for me. That explains everything. I took it for a spin around my block and it was scary(before writing this post). The brakes were WORSE, then when I pushed the brakes the idle went up!! So I was like, WTF?!?

I've got the seal now and I guess I'll have to take her apart and get it back on tomorrow. It's amazing what a little thirty cent piece of rubber can do!

In idle up and down, that was what mine was doing.

On the seal, on one side it says "M/P side". What side would that be? Master cylinder?

Thanks again. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what the heck it could be. Funny story now. I guess it'll be more funny when I'm done and it's ok tomorrow! Thanks.

[Modified by snoop_bealybob, 3:33 AM 10/18/2002]
Old 10-18-2002, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha, I just got back from "the zone" and the guy had the seal waiting for me. That explains everything. I took it for a spin around my block and it was scary(before writing this post). The brakes were WORSE, then when I pushed the brakes the idle went up!! So I was like, WTF?!?

I've got the seal now and I guess I'll have to take her apart and get it back on tomorrow. It's amazing what a little thirty cent piece of rubber can do!

In idle up and down, that was what mine was doing.

On the seal, on one side it says "M/P side". What side would that be? Master cylinder?

Thanks again. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what the heck it could be. Funny story now. I guess it'll be more funny when I'm done and it's ok tomorrow! Thanks.
Hmmm about that M/P side... I'm thinking I didn't know either but I'm pretty sure I put the M/P side toward the MC.