Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Auto to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to manual conversion

I own a 1996 Honda Accord LX with a slow F22B2 engine and a boring Automatic Transmission. I want to swap it with a H22A engine and convert the car to a Manual Transmission. I was quoted $2,200 for the engine and tranny.

Labor to do the H22A with auto to manual change over is about $2,000
Additional Items needed but not limited to are:
Brake Pedal
Clutch Pedal
Complete Clutch Hydraulic System off an Accord 5speed
Shifter and cable assembly off an Accord 5speed
Axles of an Accord 5speed

The labor for a US swap would be about another $1,000 on top of the engine
pricing and $400 on top of the labor due to additional wiring in the engine
harness and for the engine computer.

IS PAYING ALMOST $6,000 WORTH IT CAUSE I DON'T WANT TO BUY ANOTHER CAR AND HAVE A CAR NOTE TO PAY EVERY MONTH FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARS????
Old 05-02-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Auto to manual conversion (hondaspeedracer)

In my opinion it all really depends on if its worth it to you. I think 6,000 is a little steep for a mild boost in performance, and the joy of 5spd, but that is just me. I'm sure if you do a little more searching you can probably find better prices on those things, and you also might want to concider boosting your motor instead of going with H22. Like I said, its all really up to you.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto to manual conversion (LogicalChaos)

Might be better off just selling the car you have now, buying another one that is manual and doing the H22a swap.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Auto to manual conversion (funtak)

i am no mechanic and i did my swap myself. get a friend to help if need. use online writes. it can save you 800-1000 bucks. plus there is no substitute for experience. parts wise i spent like 1300-1500. labor free. tools maybe 150-200 but i had none to start with. if you love your car and don't wanna part, convert it yourself. people who say just get one already 5 spd, are either afraid to do it themselves, don't wanna to put the effort in learning, or haven't attempted to do one so they discourage others. people who have done it, all say the same. do it, and learn, save money. hell, i'd do it again. it was a self accomplishment for me and i was very excited. if you have time, do it yourself. i rented a storage unit and did mine all by myself.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 AM

i agree with flight50.

do the h22 swap yourself. i started with no tools and no experience and i did my own h22 swap. doing a 5spd conversion at the same time as an h22 swap isnt much more labor or parts... check the guide on here, its in-depth with some good pictures. youll learn a lot, while saving a lot. plus its a lot of fun and its very satisfying to do it yourself.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: (cpmike)

Thx for the feedback cpmike. Where can I find that info on this site? I have some printouts but I can always use more details. Also a 1996 prelude is required for the swap because the ECU will have an OBDII without the immobilizer. Not to mention the wiring that's involved is quite challenging too, so I may go ahead and hopefully trade the AT for MT.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:44 AM

good luck!

Accord FAQ: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1664547

5spd conversion: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1237137
Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: (cpmike)

you could always turbo the f22. The block is quite solid.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: (Rainy City)

I don't want to turbo a car that doesn't have a MT! Where's the fun in that?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondaspeedracer)

actually a turboed auto would kick a 5spd speeds *** any day. the problem is the tranny not being strong enough though. beef up an auto tranny and see ya later 5spd. but beware that beefing up a auto isn't cheap. cpmike, whats up dude. i see you came over from cb7. any of you wanting to do the 5spd swap in a 4th gen, head over to cb7tuner, great info for cb7's. you guys here, pay no attention to cpmike's post count. he knows his stuff. cpmike helped me out a ton over on cb7tuner, thanks again. i feel as though i am a mini mechanic now,lol.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all i have to say is don't do the auto to manual swap......

this kid has done one and has problems up the a--.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1969508

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1965442

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1959463

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1953473

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1930023

personally i would just do the H22a conversion. Youd save yourself a sh-t ton of money over the auto/manual trans conversion and you would have 55 hp's more than the f22b out of the box.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Auto to manual conversion (jdm_junkie1)

Thx jdm_junkie1 for the insight. I might just go ahead and do a trade. I'm going to miss her and everything I've put into the car. I'm just bored with the AT...especially when Camaros pull up next to me and all i can do is not give eye contact.

Details:
Year: 1996
Model: LX 4 door sedan
Engine: 2.2L 4 cyl.
Transmission: 4 speed Automatic (non-VTEC)
Exterior Color: White
Interior Color/Material: Tan/Cloth
Mileage: 104XXX (mostly freeway miles)

Options:
-Air Conditioning
-Power Steering
-Power Windows
-Power Door Locks
-Tilt Wheel
-Cruise Control (not functional)
-Alpine Head Unit
-Alpine 6 Disc CD changer in trunk of car
-Dual Front Air Bags
-Factory Carpet Floor Mats

Added Options:
-Alpine CD Head Unit
-Alpine 6 Disc CD Changer installed in trunk (operates through Alpine Head Unit)
-Viper Keyless Entry/Alarm
-Altezza Taillights
-Enkei J10 black wheels
-Injen Air Intake System
-Throttle body spacer
-Clear Corner Park Lights
-Clear Signal Lights
-Modified Muffler

-Amsoil Synthetic Oil
-MSD Ignition spark wires
-BOSCH Oxygen Sensor
-PlatinumSpark Plugs
-Ceramic Brake Pads,
-Drilled/Slotted and Resurface Rotors,

Modified by hondaspeedracer at 8:12 PM 5/2/2007

Modified by hondaspeedracer at 8:13 PM 5/2/2007

Modified by hondaspeedracer at 8:14 PM 5/2/2007
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PLEASE dont pay someone to do your swap!!! Its so easy to do i did the same thing you wanna do. A h22 swap and a auto to manual conversion. Its so easy!!!! If you want you can email me or call me and ill walk you though it....i swear dude i can walk a 5 year old through this if a 5year old wanted to do this swap and conversion
Old 05-02-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Auto to manual conversion (H22_aCCoRd_07)

the only that guy had so much trouble with his 5 speed conversion was 1 he let a shop do it and it could have been a stupid one...also he didnt use the 5speed ecu he used the auto one...so thats where all his problems came from. do it yourself man..Im getting ready to do mine..it seems so simple and straightforward and i cant wait to get started!
Old 05-03-2007, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Auto to manual conversion (lowered94accord)

Yea, that's me. I'm going to have the manual ECU reprogrammed Saturday though. Hopefully that fixes most of the problems.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Auto to manual conversion (98savage)

Hey 98savage, sorry to have read about all the problems you had with your swap and conversion. I'm sure there were many times you either wanted to go postal on your mechanic, pull the hair out of your head or do both!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Auto to manual conversion (H22_aCCoRd_07)

Hey H22_aCCoRd_07, thx for the willingness to help a honda enthusiast out! I would like to have your email addresss. I live in the Bay Area, but if you stayed in Northern California, I would pay you to help me out! Too many people fake on me and give me empty promises of trying to assist me, and when the time comes they act as if they have something better to do and don't want to get their hands dirty, so that's why I am thinking about this shop located in Milpitas, CA to handle the job. Check out their website http://www.blacktrax.net/

Unfortunately, I don't have a garage cause my car stays parked on the street and I don't have the space to do the job and I'm just not as mechanically as I would love to be.

Modified by hondaspeedracer at 10:00 AM 5/3/2007
Old 05-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

H22_ACCORD lives closer to me than you hondaspeedracer, but the swap still isn't that hard. many people have done it. and 98savage the auto ecu isn't your problem. i am still running my auto ecu and have been for 4 months now. no cels or anything. i have a s200 w/ a p72 that i have to wait till i can get to a tuner. but the auto will work fine. reason it works is because your tranny shifts via a computer. 5 spd, you shift so it doesn't matter. what you have to do is disconnect the tcu, if you don't do this, then yeah you will have problems.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:44 AM

hi. im doing the swap now in my 94 i just got, finally put the 91 to rest.. so im using all the parts from my 91, everything has been going ok, till i ran into the tranny mount problem. i beleave its cause im using the 91 tranny, i heard it was the 92 and up were all the same. i really didnt want to cut and weld if i didnt have to. so ive been looking for a mount that would work. the stock one from my cb7 5speed is to low,and to far forward, doesnt even go in the bracket, and i order one for the 94 ,5speed and it doesnt work at all. the write up in the F.A.Q. is great thats wat ive been following. but wat mount is he using, cause it looks like the one i need.. any info anyone has on wat would be the best thing to do would be great. i gotta get my car back on the road.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:25 PM

anybody?. please. im heading out to work on it soon.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kreativecd5)

i don't know much about the 5th gen swaps. they are similar to the 4th gens to a degree. but if i am not mistaking, if you don't reweld, i believe you can redrill the auto mount. there should be a notch above the auto bolt hole that can be drilled.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto to manual conversion (funtak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by funtak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Might be better off just selling the car you have now, buying another one that is manual and doing the H22a swap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea what he said

Old 05-12-2007, 03:55 AM

ya , u see thats wat i thought too. but the mount doesnt line up to well at all. it is way to low and far forward. and if i lift the tranny till i can at least have the mount in the bracket the engine would be way to high on the tranny side.. i think this problem is because i am useing the 91 tranny. or i havent found the right mount.. but this afternoon i am cutting the mount!. and sunday having one welded in the right spot.. i really dont wanna do this. but i have no choice.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:46 PM

well done the swap now. i ended up cutting and welding. now just running a GOOD clutch line/.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:13 AM

well done the swap now. i ended up cutting and welding. now just running a GOOD clutch line/.

Quick Reply: Auto to manual conversion