Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Anyone have any experience with Alpine R Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any experience with Alpine R Speakers?

This is what I had in mind for my 99 Accord Coupe.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...?model=SPR-17C

Alpine R Speakers 6 1/2" (Front)

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...?model=SPR-69C

Alpine R Speakers 6" x 9" (Rear) Though crutchfield.com says that they won't fit, I think. Can anyone verify this?

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...?model=CDA-105
Alpine CDA-105 Deck Unit

What do you guys think? Can anyone verify the issue with the rear speakers?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone have any experience with Alpine R Speakers?

They will fit but your factory grilles won't go back on. Those are some nice speakers, I have the Type-R 6x9 from a few years ago in the rear deck of my 94 accord and they are great. They produce more responsive and tight bass than a deep low boom. The mids are what really sound good, they are crisp. As with any 6x9 they are designed for the mids and lows. I'm running them with an alpine 4ch amp and they sound fantastic. BTW i'm pretty sure there is an electonics/stereo section.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't know about the R's but my brother has some alpine S speakers and they blow ... when it comes to speakers i like JL Audio ... although alpine does make awesome head units
Old 04-18-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by AccordVT
They will fit but your factory grilles won't go back on.
You're referring to to the rear speakers?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:54 AM

I work in the car audio industry, the type r are a good speakers and play loud when supplied withe the proper power. Ok on sound quality, are u going to be running an amp? Pm me with what ur looking for i can get u equipment as well.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2FASTDC2
I work in the car audio industry, the type r are a good speakers and play loud when supplied withe the proper power. Ok on sound quality, are u going to be running an amp? Pm me with what ur looking for i can get u equipment as well.
I wasn't really planning on running an amp. I just wanted to upgrade what I already had: stock front and rear speakers, as well as a stock head unit. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I assume that the upgrade I have in mind would be enough to satisfy my need. Especially since the stock speakers just don't sound that good at all...
Old 04-19-2009, 10:09 AM

i would not reccomend running the type r without an amp they will sound horrible and be destroyed, i would suggest the new type s 600c compenets and the 6x9's for the rear. The easiest way to blow a speaker is to under power it and the type r's need at least 45rms which would require an amp.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive got a two pairs of 6.5s(two in glove compartment and 1 in each door) and one pairs of 6x9s(rear deck)

they are all powered by my sony xplod head unit with no extra amp. ive gone through infinity kappas, kickers, rockford. but these speakers are my favorite. they are really clear and really loud. even at high volumes there is usually no disturbance.

rear deck is easy installation but to get them in your doors you have to modify. take out the factory mounts and cut the plastic grille from the back to allow the speaker to sit right. next using the alpine speaker brackets bolt the bracket to the factory bracket. then you can remount the factory bracket and simply bolt em up.

they will fit just takes some messin around to get it right

overall this will be a huge upgrade from your stock system. make sure to get an aftermarket head unit to power these things. i can't imagine using the factory radio. oh and i hope your not planning on buying them from the alpine site. they charge way too much.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...facturerID=611
this is where i buy all of my car electronics. shipping is free over $99 and everything shows up within a week or two in perfect condition

Last edited by bdmlilburn; 04-19-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by bdmlilburn
ive got a two pairs of 6.5s(two in glove compartment and 1 in each door) and one pairs of 6x9s(rear deck)

they are all powered by my sony xplod head unit with no extra amp. ive gone through infinity kappas, kickers, rockford. but these speakers are my favorite. they are really clear and really loud. even at high volumes there is usually no disturbance.

rear deck is easy installation but to get them in your doors you have to modify. take out the factory mounts and cut the plastic grille from the back to allow the speaker to sit right. next using the alpine speaker brackets bolt the bracket to the factory bracket. then you can remount the factory bracket and simply bolt em up.

they will fit just takes some messin around to get it right

overall this will be a huge upgrade from your stock system. make sure to get an aftermarket head unit to power these things. i can't imagine using the factory radio. oh and i hope your not planning on buying them from the alpine site. they charge way too much.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...facturerID=611
this is where i buy all of my car electronics. shipping is free over $99 and everything shows up within a week or two in perfect condition

Yeah, I wasn't planning on buying it from the Alpine site.

I'm assuming you're talking about the same speakers I'm talking about, right? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. Also, the rear speakers are not in the doors. I have the coupe, so their behind on top of the rear seats.

So I have one guy saying it's ok to run them through the head unit and another that says it's necessary to run through an amplifier?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 PM

Only one of them installs car audio for a living. lol
Old 04-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MarcosMarcusM
Yeah, I wasn't planning on buying it from the Alpine site.

I'm assuming you're talking about the same speakers I'm talking about, right? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. Also, the rear speakers are not in the doors. I have the coupe, so their behind on top of the rear seats.

So I have one guy saying it's ok to run them through the head unit and another that says it's necessary to run through an amplifier?
yes i have the same ones(both 6x9s and 6.5s) and i have been running them with NO amp for over a year with NO problems at all. And when i say no problems i mean i have never had one blow up on me or noticed a decrease in performance. of course they will sound better with an amp, you will get more bass from them using an amp but really the highs and mids these things put out are amazing. and since your just looking for something better then your factory speakers these will do it for ya.

my car is a coupe also so yes the rear deck i mentioned earlier is the area behind the back seats. what i meant by doors is the slot in each front door for the 6.5s.

Last edited by bdmlilburn; 04-19-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:19 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you run speakers without an amp? Sure

Should you? For best quality you should. If you're going to go all out and buy nice speakers you should just bite the bullet and toss in an amp and small subwoofer. You really do not need anything fancy. I upgraded my stock speakers that were beat up to some Sony Xplod's I got cheap from Best Buy. I run a stock headunit and they are more than sufficient.

With an aftermarket headunit and nice speakers you're much better off running an amp and a sub (if you want) to get better sounds throughout the audio range.

Last edited by TheMuffinMan; 04-19-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM

Damn, you guys are a big help; for real.

I think I could go with Rs and install the amp later. An amp now is not something I'm willing to buy.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the advice of an installer. Alpine type R speakers need an amp, to sound proper. Also Type R speakers have monster magnet, they are huge. Any decent brand speakers will sound kick *** with an amp! So get a demo of the speakers with an amp if your going that way. Or get a demo with just a headunit. IT MAKES SENSE TO BUY WHAT SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU :-)

If you are doing an install, do it all at once. When you do things bit by bit it will cost you more. Also you will be taking your car apart again and again.
MECP certified since 2005