Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Accord 96 LX 4cyl 2.2L Power steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord 96 LX 4cyl 2.2L Power steering problems

Greetings everyone. I am having a problem with my Accord. I need to replace the Power Steering pressure sensor switch. I will be posting some pictures soon so that you can see it. What I need to know is the name of the parts so that I can look them up and purchase them. English is not my first language but I understand it well enough to write and speak it, but it is a little difficult for me when it comes to some of the parts.

Local stores here (Puerto Rico), do not sell the sensor switch so I have to use something like RockAuto, and due to the passage of hurricane Marķa things will be a little difficult. I am currently at work and that's where I have internet access, but I also have access to the internet on mobile. I will be posting the pictures on mobile so that everyone here can see them and tell me what the parts are. The car has a bunch of other problems that I'd like to fix, two years ago I made a thread about the Camshaft sensor and that has been fixed, but the alternator needs to be replaced. Finally, I'd like to know if it's possible to get something to paint some of the car's interior stuff like the door handles, which I want to paint as close to the Jade Green color that my has.

Thanks in advance, I'll see if I can post the pictures. I'd like to know if it's possible to embed them in such a way that they don't take a lot of space on the thread.

What I would like to know is the name of the part in pictures 2, 3 and 4, the one that is attached to the cables. The part was broken while attempting to remove it from the sensor and I would like to know what it's called so I can look for it.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Vidente; 11-06-2017 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Pictures added
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Accord 96 LX 4cyl 2.2L Power steering problems

I'm curious why you are replacing it ? I have never heard of one of these going bad. Sometimes the wires break internally that go to the connector but the sensors themselves never go bad.

Be that as it may you can get them from rockauto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...re+sensor,7408

It would be better to get one from the junkyard, along with the connector. You can use these to splice them back in.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Heat-S...s-Red/36141662

use a lighter to light it to seal the connector around the wire
Old 11-07-2017, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
I'm curious why you are replacing it ? I have never heard of one of these going bad. Sometimes the wires break internally that go to the connector but the sensors themselves never go bad.

Be that as it may you can get them from rockauto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...connector,2605

It would be better to get one from the junkyard, along with the connector.
Thanks for the reply. As you say, if the sensor never goes bad, then I just need the connector?

The Accord was leaking power steering fluid and I had to replace its rack and pinion. The mechanic that did the job told me that the power steering sensor needed to be replaced as well because even with the rack and pinion being replaced, the Accord would still leak power steering fluid. I'll see if I can find it in a local junkyard, but just in case, which is the part number or the name of the connector? Is it a power steering pressure switch connector, wire, cable or hose?

Edit: I found the connector for the sensor at RockAuto. I missed a section that allows you to view related parts for each part you see. I will try to find it at a junkyard first and if I can't find it I will see if I can get it from RockAuto.

Last edited by Vidente; 11-07-2017 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Found the connector
Old 11-07-2017, 07:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is an oring that sits behind it, it will come with the new sensor but Honda should carry the oring too