Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Acceleration Bog/Sputter/Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Acceleration Bog/Sputter/Hesitation

Sorry for waking up the dead.. But am having the same damn issue here! Setup: 1991 acura integra automatic ls vtec jdm obdo b16 head match pr3automatic ecu ...idles fine on park or in gear but once I press the has paddle it Boggs for 2 sec the the rpm sounds like vtec kicks in. I did notice a plug is not connected could be for the egr being removed..but this bogging crap is getting on my nerves...no check engine light just the s3 none stop flashing ...welp any1
Old 12-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Having similar problem! 1991 ef sedan swapped with MPFI D16z6, to start off i have 2 P28 ECU's and the "older" one came out of a crx with a non-vtec LS in it and its worked seemly fine and then i wanted to upgrade that ECU with the right basemap on it so i bought one from HAMOTORSPORTS.com and as soon as i swap the new ecu into the car it bogs/hesitates/misfires or something of that caliber when accerating from 1500 rpm to 3000 rpm and then its fine afterwords. I have no check engine light and just replaced the IACV. Its just weird that it acts fine with the old one in and as soon as i change to the new one starts hesitating.
Any help would be appreciated greatly
Old 12-03-2017, 01:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...c-1988-1991-3/
Old 12-04-2017, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my case, it was worn out spark plugs. The gaps were almost double what they should have been. A new set of plugs fixed the issue immediately.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:23 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Dannyvho
My 1999 Accord had a similar problem (F18B2 engine). Idle speed was ok but as soon as I hit the throttle the engine would hesitate and sometimes stall. It only lasted a second or so before it would actually rev up.
Tried cleaning TB, IACV, did a valve adjustment etc...

The problem was finally solved when I decided to reset the ECU: disconnected the battery for a minute and then let the engine idle with no load (no A/C, ventilation etc..) until it's warmed up. Took only 15 minutes.
Idea was to let the ECU re-learn the properties of the air intake system...

I have a 1999 honda accord and today i was driving down the interstate fine....all of a sudden i hit 60 mph and the car revved up like it was slipping..jerked...then wouldnt pull a hill after that even floored it would only go 20 mph

The only cel i have is for the vtec solenoid!

Could that cause the loss of power like that and the almost like tranny slip??
Im sure it didnt slip the loss of power just made it feel like that...
it happened so sudden and my rpms went down to 2 back up to 4 then level out until i got off the nxt exit where it wouldnt go over 20 mph...

idk but ive got soooo much money and new parts in this car and it only has 130.000 miles!!!
im lost any info in the right direction would be amazing!!!
thanks...sorry this is an older post im commenting on...its the closest i could find to my issue.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Read the post in this thread dated 08-01-2016.

Although the poster was talking about a prelude, you should still check
what he/she checked on their car.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Taylor
I have a 1999 honda accord and today i was driving down the interstate fine....all of a sudden i hit 60 mph and the car revved up like it was slipping..jerked...then wouldnt pull a hill after that even floored it would only go 20 mph

The only cel i have is for the vtec solenoid!

Could that cause the loss of power like that and the almost like tranny slip??
Im sure it didnt slip the loss of power just made it feel like that...
it happened so sudden and my rpms went down to 2 back up to 4 then level out until i got off the nxt exit where it wouldnt go over 20 mph...

idk but ive got soooo much money and new parts in this car and it only has 130.000 miles!!!
im lost any info in the right direction would be amazing!!!
thanks...sorry this is an older post im commenting on...its the closest i could find to my issue.
A VTEC cel will trigger protective mode which drops the rev limiter to something like 5200 RPM (I forget what RPM exactly) I'm guessing what you perceived as a sudden high-revving was the engine bouncing off the new, lower rev limiter. This of course comes with a sudden loss of power when it happens. The solution will be troubleshooting and resolving that CEL.

In my case, the car ran low enough on oil that the pump started sucking in air. Air bubbles froth the oil and cause an oil pressure drop. The oil pressure sending unit detects the pressure drop and tells the ECU that the VTEC solenoid doesn't have enough pressure to operate so it drops the rev limiter to below the VTEC threshold. So your first step should be checking your oil level and making sure it's not low. If your oil level is good and it's still happening, check both the oil pressure sending unit and the VTEC solenoid. IIRC, the oil pressure sending unit is directly below the VTEC solenoid.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:01 AM

Hi Everyone.

I am experiencing the same problem. I am driving a Ph22 accord variant. 1997. The problem is, this variant didnt have the oxygen sensor and the egr.

It sputters at low acceleration.
​​​​​​Changed the fuel filter
changed the alternator wire
Had the tappet valve fixed.
changed spark plugs.

Nothing!
​​​​​​
No CELS.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:49 AM
Trial User

That is ur vetch cylinoid they have a filter slash gasket inside the have to replace sometimes cause they get clogged try that if u still have probs prob have to replace whole cyliniod