Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

99 accord lx stalled out ande died while left running after putting new freon in help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 accord lx stalled out ande died while left running after putting new freon in help

x 2.3 di
Old 09-17-2020, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Re: 99 accord lx stalled out ande died while left running after putting new freon in

More details would help here, but I'll take a guess with the little bit of data provided. If you overfill the "freon" in the air conditioner, it could possibly cause the conpressor to stop running because it's too full (just like when too low, the clutch doesn't engage because the pressure is incorrect and it protects it from burning out)....but maybe it seized, causing a lock up which might be sufficient to stop the engine. What would be really helpful is for you to actually write out the whole story here so we can take some more educated guesses.

For example, how many miles, auto vs manual, what made you decide to add freon, what was the cars condition before, how long was it idling before it stoppped. Will it restart? Are there any smells, smoke, fluid appearing, noises, etc. Is the check engine light on?

Just take your time and write the story out.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-17-2020, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 accord lx stalled out ande died while left running after putting new freon in

The accord is a 99 2.3l lx, hasn't had the best maintenance in its life but decent. My 1st issue was the harmonic balancer would come loose and due to a wore out key stick which caused the car to jump time. I returned the car and replaced the alternator shortly after due to the fact it 2ouldnt stop squealing. (The alternator came off a 99 account ex coup that is a ULEV 2.3, a parts car that I got with the lx I'm speaking of) I've used a bluetooth code reader 9n the once I timeed it and honestly it never works all that great which I think is due to the app I use. After timing the car and getting to run along with the alt. I was still getting random misfires on all cylinders. So I replaced the plugs and plug wire which fixed the misfires. Along with the misfire codes I was also read a code for the egr valve (haven't tried to fix or clean it yet), a code for the torque converter clutch (it's auto and only has shift problems from first to second and was told that two the shift solenoids had been replaced they were the top two most solenoids that you can see once), and later, about two months at most down the road and the car running fine I got a code for the fuel system bank 1 one I believe.
The most recent time I read the codes before the current no start issue I read again a random misfire on all cylinders still with fuel system code and nothing else new. The week before my no start issue came about I end up dropping the passenger side of the car off in a ditch and bottomed out on the passenger side floor pans. I had to be pulled out, lucky no cracks in the trans. or oil pan, and the only real problem I had after that was a slight pull to that side that think was due to bend in the rim.
The accord never had a/c due to slight hole in the rad. for the a/c and I decided to try to patch the hole with j b weild ( I didn't over due it with the u b and wait for it to cure before I even attempted anything else). The next day or two after the j b weld patch I drive a hour and half ride( which this drive the care makes often 60 miles one way). Once I got to destination it back to just short lil trips to the store here and there. Now the last time the car drove any where I didn't notice any weed at all the normal. The next day I was about to take my normal 60 miles drive and decided to try and charge the a/c to see if my patch worked. So I started the car left running with the air on and my door was open. (Not sure if that matters but also after the fact I didn't know to let the cars temp to rasie to running temp either)and I put the freon in the a/c line under the hood. (Also after the fact I didn't know the low 0resure side was up front in front of the rad. Do I know I put it in the wroung side now I do believe) now at first I just put a lil in to see if the patch had worked and it did nothing leaked out (also I want to note that I had charged the a/c once before through the same line and that's how I descovred the hole 8n the rad) so with the car running aair on I charged the a/c up to 35 40 according to the yeah you told me Freon can. The air started to get cold inside the end of the car and I left the car running till it circulate the system while the car is running and my door is open I had to step away for a minute and attend to my daughter which time when I came back to the car the car was no longer running air was still going all the lights are still on and a switch was still in the run position. So at that point I looked at my gas and it wasn't resting on it yet so I knew I should not have run out of gas I turned the car off and tried to restart the car the car would not restore after cranking and cranking the car still would not start so I took the breather off and sprayed starter fluid into the intake while someone started the car and acted as if it wanted to start it would not stay running also I would like to know that I did not hear the fuel pump but I could not say for sure notice background noises and I assume that perhaps the fuel pump had went bad or the AC compressor clutch had locked up not knowing at the time that the freon had been placed in the wrong line I have replaced the main fuel pump relay like I said I have put a new pump in the self-leveling assembly with the same PSI as the one that is supposed to go on the Accord 43 PSI I have also leaked all of the freon out of the car that I placed in it and of course it will not start I have checked my timing marks the car is still in time and still will not start another issue that I realized with the car is at once when I put the key in before this issue I would have a flashing key light that would go off after a few flashes now I no longer get the key symbol at all and the car will not start. Now my battery life stays on and the oil light stays on nothing else no key light no check engine light no maintenance light which my battery had to be taken off and sorry and it cleared the codes once and then that so i can no longer read any codes and my code reader will not connect with the ecu. Also no fuses are blow. In the car .
​​​​​​
Old 09-17-2020, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That was very interesting. OK, first, it is very unlikely you put the freon in teh wrong area, as the high and low side are different sizes, and the can only comes with the size for the correct side. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

But what you are describing, if I am reading it correctly, sounds like the ignition switch needs to be replaced. How you might be able to test this is to literally put the key in and wiggle it and then see if it will start. If it starts, wiggle it again and see if it turns off. But, because you said there is no flashing that's what makes me think that's what the issue is. Unless it's the security piece itself, which you would then either replace or bypass with a chip.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The accord use to flash a key symbol then it would go away after I started it or the key was regonized now I don't even get the key symbol 9n dash at all
Old 09-18-2020, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default No key symbol flash on the dash no more and no start

After charging the refrigerent the car died and won't start and now the key symbols not flashing n the dash any more 8 feel the main relay to the fuel pump clicking and replaced the pump but it still ain't getting fuel or pump not running
Old 09-18-2020, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No key symbol flash on the dash no more and no start

Keep posting to your original thread, that way everyone can see the history, this is the same car, yes?

Old 09-18-2020, 04:07 PM
Global Moderator

Received 421 Likes on 391 Posts

Your threads have been merged.

You mention no blown fuses; but, did you check the passenger side fuse box? Not everyone realizes there is a passenger side dash fuse box.

Check passenger side fuse box, Fuse No. 13 (7.5A). Fuse 13 supplies power to:
  • Immobilizer Indicator on the dash
  • passenger side multiplex control unit
  • drivers side multiplex control unit
  • PCM
  • Heater control panel
  • Clock
  • and a couple more things
Old 09-18-2020, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll try that first thing in the morning.
i also tested my fuel pump I replaced after the freon, stalling , not start and it was still good.
I feel the main fuel relay clicking but still not fuel pump or key symbol. And I did replace a acc fuse that I missed it had blown when I added the refrigerant, I've also been looking for the fuel filter and or a shrader valve on the fuel rail.
....I'm new to this mechanic thing but honestly admit about learning it and enjoy it
Old 09-18-2020, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You did make sure to have pag oil in the ac system when you charged it correct?
Old 09-19-2020, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'did not check that, assuming that was in the refridgant. Truthfully I didn't know.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Acea Timmons
I'did not check that, assuming that was in the refridgant. Truthfully I didn't know.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go back and look at the can of refrigerant used. It will show if there was oil in iy. Often there is oil already in there with the r134
Old 09-19-2020, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay today I had a guy come out with a $3400.00 one 2 dio machine hooked up the carr and he couldn't get nothing could read the ecu or anythingb
Old 09-19-2020, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alo g with him and a lock smith they both said the ecu was shot. So 8f 8 got a new one that mean a new switch and and key with it right ? And if so would the accord 2.3l chop ulev ecu and switch and key work 9n the acood lx 2.3l f23a1