Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

98 Accord LX Coupe - driver & passenger power windows and mirror controls stop working simultaneousl

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Accord LX Coupe - driver & passenger power windows and mirror controls stop working simultaneousl

I have a 98 Accord LX coupe manual and the driver & passenger windows, and power mirrors stop working at the same time.

When I try try to open or close the driver side window I hear a "click" sound from the switch (which I normally hear when I either pull the switch up when the window is already up or push the switch down when the window is already down), but the window doesn't do anything, and the passenger window switch (both driver and passenger side) make no noise and don't do anything.

Also, the power mirror controls don't work either.

It all started earlier today...

I have been having a problem starting my car for quite some time, which has just been getting worst (Today being the worst). When I try starting the car, I hear a single "click" from the starter and that's it. This morning I had to try "starting" the car over 15 times, each time getting only a "click", until it eventually turned on.

I think it's the starter going (really) bad.

This is when I first noticed this problem with the windows. And mirror controls, which I think is related because the window switches are right next to the mirror controls.

Could my constant starting attempts have shorted something out?

I have checked the 2 driver and passenger power window fuses on the passenger side, the power window motor fuse and the back up, ACC fuse in the engine compartment.

Electrical things that ARE confirmed to be working are the: door lock switches, clock, a/c controls, radio, cigarette lighter outlet, dome light, map lights, courtesy door lights, visor lights, cruise, gauges, headlights, taillights and hazards. Which is pretty much everything else.

Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated...
Old 10-15-2008, 08:57 PM

Default Re: 98 Accord LX Coupe - driver & passenger power windows and mirror controls stop working simultane

This morning after about 20 minutes of driving both windows started working! (MAGIC!! ).

I was concerned that the windows might stop working again (and be get stuck while open) so I quickly rolled them back up. And as soon as I rolled them up, (less than a minute went by) I tried opening the windows again, but this time NOTHING!!

I kept testing the windows throughout the rest of my driving today. But that was the last time my windows opened.

I still have no idea what's wrong or why the windows randomly started working.

anybody?????
Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 98 Accord LX Coupe - driver & passenger power windows and mirror controls stop working simultane

i would be looking at the harness between the door and A pillar sounds like a broken or frayed wire or so
Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 PM

I want to say that there is power getting to the switch because I can hear the very subtle "click" (coming from the switch) when you try to open or close the window.

If something is wrong with the harness on the driver side, would it also be effecting the passenger side window switch too?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes .the click you are hearing i would imagine is the window switch trying to work but if the harness has a break then the voltage would not complete thru the window circuit and partial voltage is the result of the clicking. also check the connectors at the door pillar for a loose pin fit's
Old 10-16-2008, 07:12 PM

Does the harness for the window switches on the driver side directly effect the window switch on the passenger side?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it does.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Accord LX Coupe - driver & passenger power windows and mirror controls stop wo

im getting this type of problem but for my 01 fourdoor and it stopped working right after i pumped gas. but the thing is all 4 windows and switches dont make a clicking sound or even roll up or down which is really scaring me. would there be a fix to this?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 98 Accord LX Coupe - driver & passenger power windows and mirror controls stop wo

uhm there is a way to reset the multiplex. this is a common problem after power has been disrupted (IE changing a battery). set the intermittent wiper ring to the middle position and then turn the car on for 10 seconds and then turn off.

stuff should start working again.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4DrSleepyHead
im getting this type of problem but for my 01 fourdoor and it stopped working right after i pumped gas. but the thing is all 4 windows and switches dont make a clicking sound or even roll up or down which is really scaring me. would there be a fix to this?

Yours sounds like a fuse has blown...check those out and replace any blown ones. you can buy auto fuses at walmart...
Old 05-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no its not blown cuz i checkedf all the fuses n none of them are blown
Old 05-19-2009, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
uhm there is a way to reset the multiplex. this is a common problem after power has been disrupted (IE changing a battery). set the intermittent wiper ring to the middle position and then turn the car on for 10 seconds and then turn off.

yes. do this. If it's not an intermittent power issue, then most likely it's a problem with the multiplex system. I would say that since it is so easy to do, you should try that first.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai

did anyone mention this yet?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Trial User

Please help I have the same issue except my driver's side window operates fine. It's my passenger window which goes down extremely slow and when I try to raise it, it doesn't go all the way up. Starts making a continous click, click, click and stays about 2" open. I also have a 98 Accord Coupe LX.