Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

P1259... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon5 P1259... what to do?

Now before one of y'all tells me to SEARCH. I've done PLENTY of that, so don't bother. If you aren't gonna offer me new insights click away from this thread right now.

So I used to own a CG Accord with an F23a4. The motor ran like a champ, but the only issue is it consumed crazy amounts of oil and I believe the amount of oil it was consuming was causing P1259 to come back I owned the car for about a year from 2020-2021 before I sold it in 2021. However I'm about to buy it back from the guy I sold it to and he told me even he wasn't able to fix that code. Here's a list of things I've done to try to repair it:

Oil leaks/CC ventilation
  • Replaced distributor O ring that was leaking
  • Replaced valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals
  • Replaced VTEC solenoid gasket
  • Replace PCV valve and runner hose to intake manifold
  • Regular oil changes, with 5w 30 and either K&N or Mobil 1 oil filter

VTEC system:
  • Cleaned VTEC solenoid
  • Replaced oil pressure switch.

I'm pretty aware of how VTEC works and that low oil pressure can cause it to fail to activate. I've done all of these things and the code apparently still won't go away. I'm definitely better educated on Hondas now than when I owned it, so as soon as I get it back I'd like to fix this problem once and for all, so I would like pointers as to what to do next. But I need good evidence to support whatever I do, cause I don't want to just throw money at it. If oil pressure is still consistently so low that it burns that much, there's only a few things remaining I think could be the culprit: 1) the VTEC solenoid itself, 2) the Oil pump or Oil pickup (but from what I've researched oil pumps rarely fail) or maybe bad ringlands on the pistons causing blow-by, I've read that this can be a common point of failure on F23a engines. So for all the experienced Accord owners here, what would you do next in my situation? Thanks for reading and have a good day.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The code is not really 'permanent' it only comes on intermittently. After a good oil change, it can stay off for a week, a month, or even longer, but it eventually does come back. This is why I don't think its the VTEC solenoid cause if it was failing the code should probably come back as soon as its cleared and I try to test drive it.