Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

96 accord suspected wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 96 accord suspected wiring issue

Originally Posted by poorman212
The Op has a 96 (5th gen) Accord......please explain more on where you are going with the statement above?
i cant verify that this is the F22B2 i have, but where the ground is coming off the top, there is also a bracket that mounts there to hold up the wiring loom.

i have the bracket, but i cant seem to find the ground cable that's supposed to attach here as pictured. does it come off of the Loom right there or is it run from the firewall somewhere?

i cleaned and checked the ground on the intake mf, on the pass side headlight, and the valve cover/motor mount grounds on the DR side.

will check again, but i dident see any tapped holes on the firewall when i was looking around.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tim73
If youre saying the positive terminal for teh battery comletely melted off...that would indicate and extremely hi current. A direct short...would cause that. Possibly, in the starter...as the rest of the electrical system is protected by fuses. But there is supposed to be a ground on the tstat housing. Dould check you didnt miss it. Then another behind the block on the drivers side. There's three bolts on the tstat housing...two attach it to the head...and the third...on the left side are for the ground.

the starter was locked up, although i doubt that would cause the + terminal to melt.
ill see if i cant find the ground that goes there.

anyone here with this motor able to snap a pic of where the ground comes from?
Old 10-14-2015, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE

replaced the o2 sensor lastnight and grabbed this pic of my tstat housing too.
you can see the bracket at the bottom, and the 8mm bolt it should be mounted to, but nowhere down there did i find a ground wire hanging around at all.

it started and ran for about 10 mins, no cel, no srs lights.
then after it came up to temp the cel started blinking. i cant say how many times because i was under the hood feeling around electrical connections for heat, and any electrical smells..
any ideas?

this is an F22B2 stock 5spd if that was missed anywhere.
Attached Images   
Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just thought of this, but my head was recently resurfaced, although i wasent told how much was taken off of it, im assuming the head shop honda recommended reworked it in service limits.
but could the altered compression have anything to do with this?
all I've read tells me that a blinking CEL is for mechanical damage occurring although i dont hear anything wrong.