Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

96 Accord ABS Light briefly on, radio dies, gages drop, then restores- Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 96 Accord ABS Light briefly on, radio dies, gages drop, then restores- Advice nee

Thank you! Because I am always Right!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 96 Accord ABS Light briefly on, radio dies, gages drop, then restores- Advice nee

Hello everyone, First post!

I am having issues with my 2003 Civic. While I am driving, the radio dies, and the gauges all drop. With that being said, if I push in my clutch, or shift to neutral, everything comes back up.

I am not the most mechanically inclined, but I have cleaned the battery terminals, and that did not seem to help at all.

Also, if I leave the car runnung in neutral, the battery seems to charge back up, and it takes a while for the problems to start back up.

If anyone could give me some advice, I would be very thankful!!

Hope everyone out there is well!

Pat
Old 11-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richard233
Hi,
I'm a bit new, so I hope you will forgive my lack of knowledge here.
I have a 96 Honda Accord DX. 175K miles on it

I had a bit of a scare on the freeway today. I'm driving, relatively slow,
on the freeway (traffic) and all of the sudden my radio dies, my abs light goes
on and the gages die (at least the RPM, I'm watching the road).

So after a panicy moment, the stuff all comes back. It repeats a few seconds
later and then a couple minutes or so later while I'm going down the off ramp.
I still have control of the car brakes, gas, steering.

I get onto the regular roads and the process does not repeat itself.
So, what I'm looking for is a bit of advice of what process of elimination I should
go through to make sure the problem does not occur again.
Unfortunately my driving/commute time does not allow me see my mechanic right
after work. But, if it's serious enough, I'll take tomorrow off to get it looked at.

Thank you in advance for your time, efforts, and hopefully sage advice.

Richard
Originally Posted by concretegirl
I am also having an issue. 94 Accord EX F22b1 engine. Doesnt always happen but when it does I lose power to the radio, also I can hear a relay clicking. Every once and a while the speedometer will drop to zero. It's intermittent so it happens fast and it's over. I've been thinking it was a ground issue but now its acting like it could be a wheel speed sensor. It usually happens when I hit the brakes. I also noticed that at 42 mph the abs light stays on as long as I maintain that speed.

If this were an ignition switch issue I would have this problem at a stop which is not the case. Only happens while driving.
Alt issue would imply the same. Should happen at all times but is not the case. (Alt tested @ 14.xx volts)
Batt light does not come on.

This is surely something strange and has me worried. Anyone else see issues like this?
Originally Posted by pyatterson
Hello everyone, First post!

I am having issues with my 2003 Civic. While I am driving, the radio dies, and the gauges all drop. With that being said, if I push in my clutch, or shift to neutral, everything comes back up.

I am not the most mechanically inclined, but I have cleaned the battery terminals, and that did not seem to help at all.

Also, if I leave the car runnung in neutral, the battery seems to charge back up, and it takes a while for the problems to start back up.

If anyone could give me some advice, I would be very thankful!!

Hope everyone out there is well!

Pat
This is my first post and maybe my last but I thought I would take the time to actually post up the fix for this issue.

I was having the exact same issues on my 96 accord and I can confirm that the problem WAS the IGNITION SWITCH.

I replaced it with a new one and all is well and has been for a few days but after taking the switch apart today I can totally confirm that this WAS the issue as the start position contact was/is burnt. You can also see the spots at where the contacts were arching in all the little problem episodes I was having until the complete failure.

If you are having this issue and you're still driving your car, have a tow truck following you because it WILL fail. Once the contacts arc enough and eat up the surrounding metal your vehicle will die.

During my couple days of having this issue I had no dash warning lights when the switch was in the start position. Normally you turn the switch to that position and your oil, battery etc lights will come on, nothing in this case.

Good Luck

Last edited by jasonsmith; 11-17-2013 at 05:35 PM.