Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

95 Honda Accord - Automatic Transmission Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 95 Honda Accord - Automatic Transmission Overheating

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
I would probably pull the plug and hit it one last time just to be sure, and even though the sensors test good, since it's throwing a code I would atleast pull a couple sensors from the junkyard before retiring the car, just to doublecheck.
I actually removed the NM Speed Sensor and cleaned it, o-ring was still in good shape, alot of oil with metal particles on it, so might make a difference. I also checked the resistance on the NC sensor and it was in spec.
I'll test drive it tonight and see if code #15 is triggered again.

Then I'll drain the ATF, but save it for reuse. I'll inspect the transmission filter to see if it is still clogged and decide if I want to keep beating this horse, or attempt to retire it.
If I decide to retire it, I'll refill with my old ATF to save the $30 price for another 4 quarts.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a test drive, and even though the transmission did slip very badly, I never triggered the transmission code #15. So I think removing and cleaning the NM Speed Sensor resolved that issue.

I then drained the ATF and could clearly see fine dark metalic particles in it. I also checked the filter through my DIY drain hole, and it was somewhat clogged.
I sprayed it with the brake cleaner and got another gush of ATF. Not nearly as much as last time, but I definitely think there were flow issues.

Up to this point I have drained and filled the transmission twice, and after I receive some new ATF and fill it, this will be my third time.
I'll see how it drives, hoping I don't have to spend several hundred just filling and draining this transmission to clear it of gunk.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you can find a shop out there that can replace that transmission for around $800 with another unit. A sensor will trigger hard shifts or no shifts, not a slip. A slip will trigger the sensors. Electronics maybe , but not a sensor. Once it slips there is nothing you can do. That is the frictions inside your drums that are fried. I would not be losing time and more money trying to fix it with sensors or flushes.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gearspeed-Performance
I'm sure you can find a shop out there that can replace that transmission for around $800 with another unit. A sensor will trigger hard shifts or no shifts, not a slip. A slip will trigger the sensors. Electronics maybe , but not a sensor. Once it slips there is nothing you can do. That is the frictions inside your drums that are fried. I would not be losing time and more money trying to fix it with sensors or flushes.
While you are probably correct, I am being stubburn at the moment and keep spending money on ATF =/

I filled my transmission again, and it seems to run well again, who knows for how long. I rushed filling it up this time and didn't seal my DIY drain bolt with RTV silicone. I checked the bolt in the morning and there was a small leak, probably a few ounces during the night. I then stupidly tightened the bolt more and might have damaged some threads because it stopped giving me as much resistance and kept spinning =[

But, I will try driving this car for another week until 4 more quarts of ATF arrives. At that point I will work through all my gears, drain and inspect my ATF, check my filter if it looks clogged.
Dry my DIY drain plug, seal it with RTV and let it dry the prescribed 24 hours, and fill up with ATF. I am then hoping to drive the car until my wife and I can get a good deal on a 2017 CRV (maybe in December?).

So in all I have spent alot of time, and I think about $260 on this dying horse.
$44 - ATF and crush washers
$39 - ATF
$26 - drill bit, tap, RTV silicone
$7 - brake cleaner
$12 - ATF
$63 - Distributor
$36 - ATF
$32 - ATF
Old 07-27-2017, 11:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

outside of the fact that you basically bought a new distributor after misreading the code 15, you basically paid as much as you would have at the dealer for a diagnosis