Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 Honda Accord trouble code

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Honda Accord trouble code

Hey all, thanks for reading. I got me a 94 Accord that is throwing a check engine light, at first was only when the heater was on. Now it comes on while driving and the D4 light blinks. I also have a wacky speedometer, I was reading that this is a solenoid issue but I don’t have a code for it any insight would be appreciated.

I got one long blink of the mil light then off then two fast blinks then off. Code 1 + Code 2? Code 12? Neither code has any information also the d4 blinks as well when using the jump wire on connector but it’s a different type of blink from runnning
Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 94 Honda Accord trouble code

Recheck your codes.
Each warning light will offer up a code for its own system.
D4 for transmission.
SRS for air bag.
ABS for brakes.
CEL for engine.

Long blinks are 10's, short blinks are 1's.
Allow the warning lights to all spit out a code, if applicable.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I made a video but I can’t post it, I’m pretty bad at reading blinks. I’m getting 12 and 17 on ecm. 1,4 and 9 on transmission?
Old 01-29-2019, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me see if I got this right?

Old 01-30-2019, 12:37 PM
MM Gruppe B

Originally Posted by DirtyDade
Let me see if I got this right?
CEL/ECU codes are
12. EGR Valve lift sensor.
17. VSS

D4/TCU codes
1. Solenoid Valve A Lockup Control
4. VSS
8. Solenoid Valve B Shift Control

First I would recheck your grounds and harness ground.
Main ground from the battery on the transmission, it is hard to see but it is mounted to a bracket on the end of the transmission, follow the battery cable down to the trans.
Follow a smaller gauge wire to the front radiator support.
Bonding jumper from engine to body on the engine mount by the camshaft belt cover. Smaller gauge wire bolts to corner of valve cover and a thicker cable jumpers around the mount from the engine side to the frame mount bracket.
On the 94-97s the engine harness ground is attached to the end of the plenum(opposite of the throttle body) near the brake master cylinder. There is what is called the 'boost valve' although it is just a manifold for the vacuum lines. Below that there will be a single 10mm headed bolt that bonds the engine harness to the engine. If that bolt is loose or corroded then you will need to clean it and re tighten.
Verify the connections are clean and tight, add Ox-Guard or other similar anti-oxidant compound to prevent further corrosion and maintain electrical contact.
Check these first, as well as your batteries main connections are clean and tight.
Pull the memory fuse(radio memory) to clear the ECU/TCU memory. If you disconnected the battery to clean the terminals that will also clear the memory.

Drive the car and see if any changes have occurred.
I suspect that it is a faulty ground or loose connection, as it is rare to have two solenoids, VSS and EGR lift solenoid become faulty.
If codes come back report back here for further diagnostics.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
CEL/ECU codes are
12. EGR Valve lift sensor.
17. VSS

D4/TCU codes
1. Solenoid Valve A Lockup Control
4. VSS
8. Solenoid Valve B Shift Control

First I would recheck your grounds and harness ground.
Main ground from the battery on the transmission, it is hard to see but it is mounted to a bracket on the end of the transmission, follow the battery cable down to the trans.
Follow a smaller gauge wire to the front radiator support.
Bonding jumper from engine to body on the engine mount by the camshaft belt cover. Smaller gauge wire bolts to corner of valve cover and a thicker cable jumpers around the mount from the engine side to the frame mount bracket.
On the 94-97s the engine harness ground is attached to the end of the plenum(opposite of the throttle body) near the brake master cylinder. There is what is called the 'boost valve' although it is just a manifold for the vacuum lines. Below that there will be a single 10mm headed bolt that bonds the engine harness to the engine. If that bolt is loose or corroded then you will need to clean it and re tighten.
Verify the connections are clean and tight, add Ox-Guard or other similar anti-oxidant compound to prevent further corrosion and maintain electrical contact.
Check these first, as well as your batteries main connections are clean and tight.
Pull the memory fuse(radio memory) to clear the ECU/TCU memory. If you disconnected the battery to clean the terminals that will also clear the memory.

Drive the car and see if any changes have occurred.
I suspect that it is a faulty ground or loose connection, as it is rare to have two solenoids, VSS and EGR lift solenoid become faulty.
If codes come back report back here for further diagnostics.
ok I will follow these instructions has been raining straight for past two days. My question is why is it throwing an EGR code if the car isn’t equipped with one. It’s a 94 Accord stock 2.2. Definitely makes me suspect ground as you said. I bought a VSS since my odometer doesn’t work. I’m holding off on solenoids right now since they are a bit pricey from chain stores and rockauto.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:36 AM
MM Gruppe B

My question is why is it throwing an EGR code if the car isn’t equipped with one. It’s a 94 Accord stock 2.2.
Who told you that?
90-97 F22 engines all have EGR.
Look at the bellcrank for your throttle body.
Now look down.
Between the TB and the valve cover is going to be a gold cad plated cylindrical item with a vacuum hose attached and an electrical connector.
That is your EGR valve.
94-97 F22 have a divorced EGR manifold as well. Look under the fuel rail and injectors, there is a plate held on with five bolts. That can be removed and cleaned.
I’m holding off on solenoids right now since they are a bit pricey from chain stores and rockauto.
Those are fairly easy to check, disconnect the two grey connectors on top of the trans.
Use a jumper wire from the battery positive to each solenoid(solenoids are grounded through the transmission case).
Each solenoid will make an audible click when turned ON/OFF.
If you hear a click then the solenoids are most likely fine.

If there was any recent work done, check that area first.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was getting confused with Evap I think. I swapped out both Solenoids (they clicked over half the time) the VSS was extremely dirty (replaced that). I replaced the ground on Transmission and the battery ground (had some exposed wires). Found my oil seals on the spark plugs were toasted cause two were completely soaked in oil (replaced those and gaskets). Thanks Mad_Mike for pointing out those codes and telling me all the grounds they were exactly as you said. I picked up some J20 Infinity rims, ordered the hub adapters for them, they are P195/65R15. I’m trying to improve ride quality a bit or at least raise it up from these dam Tijuana craters, my question is I have to get new shocks and dampers I think cause I’m hearing way too much grinding (with original R14 steelies). What are some good options with interchangeable vehicles(prelude?) that don’t hurt the bank so much. I am not looking for too much performance or a drop, will most likely add a strut bar for that just want to know what to keep an eye out for in the junkyards.

Edit: Almost forgot EGR wasn’t hooked up to anything haha the lines just went into nothingness but I figured out where they went and what was missing.