Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 Accord LX- Techs: AC Condenser fan hi speed mode never works?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 94 Accord LX- Techs: AC Condenser fan hi speed mode never works?

I'm curious...most cars of this era and after have condenser fans that have two speeds depending on the ambient temps and high side pressure...(My 96 VW Golf has a high speed fan mode for the condenser fan it it goes into high speed mode when the ambient temp or coolant temp calls for this when the AC is on)

I noticed on this Accord that even when the temps are brutally hot and humidity the condenser fan NEVER runs at high speed only low speed.
I do notice that the AC doesn't cool that effectively in high temps even though it has the correct charge and oil amount too.
Both fans are functional on the car, and the radiator fan seems to work as you would expect....Condenser fan turns on immediately when you engage the AC system on button.

If any techs can chime in about this I'd appreciate it. I figure there must be a pressure switch on the cooling system that controls this function so before I start investigating it I'd get some details here.

Thanks friends!
Old 08-06-2020, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Re: 94 Accord LX- Techs: AC Condenser fan hi speed mode never works?

I don't have the answer to the speed of the fans, but I have some thoughts on what I did that made a big difference.

1 - I replaced the cabin filter - I can see why people forget about it or think it's too hard to do, since it involves removing the glove box. But changing that doubled the volume of air that came into the car. Mine had obviously not been replaced since birth.

2 - I tinted the car, including the windshield (the windshield was a clear ceramic tint so it will pass any state inspection). This effectively doubled the cooling capability yet again.

With those changes, the car went from running full blast all the time while driving in the summer to now running on level 2 because otherwise it's too cold in the car.

It changed it for me from a car that I didn't always want to drive when it was 100 degrees outside to now it's the car of choice regardless of temp.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:36 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

On your 94 Accord the A/C condenser fan only has a single speed. It runs in series with the radiator fan. When the A/C is on; both cooling fans should run. When the car is on, and if the coolant temperature at the fan switch on the thermostat housing is above 199 degrees F; both fans should run.

In regards to the A/C pressure switch, the A/C pressure switch is located in the condenser outlet line where refrigerant is in a high temperature/high pressure liquid state. The switch will sense abnormally high or low pressure, and open the circuit; which causes the A/C compressor to stop running. The pressure switch's function is more to protect the system. It does not cause the fans to run at a higher or lower speed, if anything, the fans may stop running when the A/C is off due to the "A/C On" input is no longer sent to the ECM/PCM..

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tech8:

Thanks for the quick reply! I was wondering about this for some time, seeing that all my other cars from different mfrs all have two condensor fan speeds.
Yes when the AC is engaged BOTH the radiator fan and condenser fans run at the same time. So seems that it is operating correct. I appreciate the help!
Old 08-07-2020, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Also, the 94 doesn't have a cabin filter.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fitz Williams
Also, the 94 doesn't have a cabin filter.
that is correct. I wager that my evaporator is probably filthy and dust clogged after 26 years i might try and use a coil cleaner on it since you can at least get to the side facing the fresh air inlet which is probably dirtiest.