Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

93 accord mpg upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 accord mpg upgrades.

Hey guys I'm kinda new to all this most I've done in the past is a streight pipe exhaust and a cheapo short ram intake. So I've been looking for all the possible upgrades to exhaust and air intake to increase my mpg and was told it's not to good of an idea to mix and match different brands. I don't want to spend a bunch of time looking for and ordering parts that end up not fitting together properly so I'd like to hear from all of you who have already done these mods and have a good experience and satisfied with what you've put on your own. I know mods that increase mpg go hand in hand with increased toque and horsepower but I'm not looking to make some suped up sleeper car with high dollar racing parts, I just want a decently priced setup that focuses on mpg increases and a little more power. I have a 1993 honda accord ex 2.2 Liter manual, everything is stock. I want to put in a good cold air intake, A 70 mm throttle body and spacer, exhaust manifold, straight pipe exhaust and muffler (all mandrel bent parts.) I heard hollowing out a catalytic converter or simply removing it all together will also increase mpg? I'm already leaning towards a complete flowmaster exhaust system but would like to hear your opinions before I open my wallet. Also i want to be able to talk on my phone without a headset and yelling so I don't want a load whining ricer exhaust system I preffer a throaty lower sounding setup. Anything is appreciated and am open to future mod suggestions as I plan on maintaining and keeping this car for the next 25 yrs or if I can then till the day I breathe my last breath.

Last edited by Cloud329; 07-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Re: 93 accord mpg upgrades.

You're looking in completely the wrong direction for MPG increases.

Properly inflated economy tires, weight reduction, and aero mods will get your far more mpg increases than those "performance mods" you listed, which won't do much of anything for power or mpg. Your right foot also plays a big role in how many mpg you get.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
You're looking in completely the wrong direction for MPG increases.

Properly inflated economy tires, weight reduction, and aero mods will get your far more mpg increases than those "performance mods" you listed, which won't do much of anything for power or mpg. Your right foot also plays a big role in how many mpg you get.
Thanks for the aero mods suggestion that hadn't even crossed my mind ill look into it. I've already got my tires situated but I have to disagree about the intake and exhaust upgrades, allowing an engine to breath in and out better puts less strain on it allowing it to work less and the colder the air it takes in the more condensed the oxygen particles will be allowing for a larger explosion giving you more acceleration with the same amount of gas sprayed in the combustion chambers as normal. My only experience with this is an old Saturn sc2 I put a short ram intake and a straight pipe exhaust and a obd pluggin mpg chip. At first I wasn't getting what I was hoping for out of it in fact I got less mpg but after a little research I found out my ram intake was useless cause it was sucking in the hot air coming off the engine so with some help from my mechanic we made a insulated pipe to go down under my battery and right behind my front bumper and shielded it off from the engine bay. Immediately it had more power and I got around 8 more mpg. My setup was only around $240 for non name brand cheapo parts and I was very satisfied with the increases. As a delivery driver at the time I made my money back for very quickly going from $15 a day to $5 a day in gas on average. I also did a complete fuel system clean, changed my old pump and filter and cleaned out the crankcase as well just before putting on those parts so that played a good role in the increases as well I'm sure.

Last edited by Cloud329; 07-24-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts

Well since you're the expert try it out and let us know how it works out for you. I would be very interested to see an intake, header and exhaust system show a noticeable change in MPG.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, what mileage are you getting now? I'm getting 28 to 31 out of my 95 5-speed because 90% of the time I drive like a grandma. I gained mileage when I replaced a bad wheel bearing, replaced manual trans fluid, and corrected tire pressure. These vehicles are tuned for good mileage, Honda engineers of that era were smart. I wouldn't replace OEM parts with Fast and the Furious parts unless, well, never. If you could easily increase fuel mileage AND power with some short arm gizmo and some cold air intake don't you think ALL cars would come that way?

The reality is that Honda OEM air filters are really good at keeping dirt out of your engine and they last a long time, most Honda parts are very high quality and superior to aftermarket. You don't sound like you know what you're doing and will likely break your car and ruin its resale value. When I'm looking to buy a Honda I walk away when I open the hood and see aftermarket garbage...I don't care how much "faster" the or "better" the seller says it is. Virgin cars keep their value.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud329
...but I have to disagree about the intake and exhaust upgrades, allowing an engine to breath in and out better puts less strain on it allowing it to work less and the colder the air it takes in the more condensed the oxygen particles will be allowing for a larger explosion giving you more acceleration with the same amount of gas sprayed in the combustion chambers as normal.
Sorry, all your comments do is illustrate how poorly you understand the basics of modern internal combustion engines.

As previously stated, none of your changes will yield any improvements in fuel economy.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:56 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by colonelcorto
Well, what mileage are you getting now? I'm getting 28 to 31 out of my 95 5-speed because 90% of the time I drive like a grandma. I gained mileage when I replaced a bad wheel bearing, replaced manual trans fluid, and corrected tire pressure. These vehicles are tuned for good mileage, Honda engineers of that era were smart. I wouldn't replace OEM parts with Fast and the Furious parts unless, well, never. If you could easily increase fuel mileage AND power with some short arm gizmo and some cold air intake don't you think ALL cars would come that way?

The reality is that Honda OEM air filters are really good at keeping dirt out of your engine and they last a long time, most Honda parts are very high quality and superior to aftermarket. You don't sound like you know what you're doing and will likely break your car and ruin its resale value. When I'm looking to buy a Honda I walk away when I open the hood and see aftermarket garbage...I don't care how much "faster" the or "better" the seller says it is. Virgin cars keep their value.
yes stock with Japan or USA parts only or it will fail