93 Accord Ex shuts off randomly

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Accord Ex shuts off randomly

ok,
so, this is my first car, i luv her.
anyways, this issue has been developing slowly over the past 2 weeks.
the first time it happened i was on the highway, the cruise control stopped working and the car started pushing hard till it shut off, i pulled over, sat there for 5 minutes, added some oil, because it looked low, then the car ran fine as i drove 800 kms over the next 2 days.
the other day the car wouldn't start, i did a google search from my phone and it said to open all the car doors (it was a very hot day) and let the pressure from the gas tank, I did that and the car worked fine. the next day, the rmp randomly dropped to 0. and then the car wouldn't start. and thats been the case for the past week, it will run for a random amount of time (2mins or 6 hours), then just cut out and not start.

I've done diagnostic on the OBD1. and I received the following codes:

1 Heated oxygen sensor A
15 Ignition output signal

could anyone help me from where i go from here?
i would like to fix myself if possible (i have plenty of time, enjoy fixing things/learning, and don't want to spend a bunch of money).

please note:
i have had the car for a year and put 50 k on it,
i got oil changes every 5 -7k except for the last oil change which was on about 20k (i know, it's embarrassing, like i said, this is my first car, and someone told me that if the oil is light colour you don't need to change it. Anyways, I know now). so yea, maybe something with the oxygen sensor has to do with a bunch of dirty oil. Would an engine flush help this?

thanks for your help in advance!!!

(TLDR:: randomly shuts off while driving, then won't start
obd1 codes:
1 Heated oxygen sensor A
15 Ignition output signal)
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Accord Ex shuts off randomly

i've gone through the flow chart below but am confused

http://techauto.tripod.com/

it says to listen for a main relay sound when the engine light goes off,
there is a sound at that exact moment, but i'm pretty sure its just the sound of the doors locking automatically,

also,
the car DOES in fact start, so do i even follow that flow chart?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Daccordex
it says to listen for a main relay sound when the engine light goes off,
there is a sound at that exact moment, but i'm pretty sure its just the sound of the doors locking automatically,
Then pull the fuse or lock the doors prior to turning the key. The main relay will click off sometimes with a slight twang.

Originally Posted by Daccordex
the car DOES in fact start, so do i even follow that flow chart?
A component may not work when heat soaked but works fine when cold.
If the car is working fine now you will not find a fault, you will have to wait for the car to not start/stop working while driving then test.

But if you are getting a code 15 I would suspect the igniter or its wiring is faulty.
Originally Posted by TechAuto

ECU code 15: Code 15 is listed as an error in the "Ignition Output Signal." If you have this code it means that the ECU has found the Ignition module (igniter) signal is not received by the ECU which means that the igniter is dead, has a loose connection or has failed intermittently. The ECU looks for the 10V reference signal from the igniter. If the car won't start because of this code then check for a loose connection or go to section 4 on this page and be ready to replace the igniter.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

even with the doors locked it still makes a sound. to pull the fuse do i have to take the door panel off?
k, well, i just left the door opened a little bit, and although the beeping sound is annoying, the doors don't try to lock.
i definitely hear the fuel pump, and there a sound when the CEL goes off, i guess it's a click?
yea, i'm pretty sure its the igniter, i'm going to go through the troubleshooting for that, and if it doesn't work, i'll drive my car around the block til it stops then trouble shoot

cheers!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok pulled the fuse, thanks.
i'm a noob
ahaha
relay sounds fine.
gonna trouble shoot the ignition system
Old 09-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok,
don't think any one is paying attention to my posts, ahaha : )
but here's the update.
all the fuses are fine,
i did a spark test on the engine (between a plug wire and a ground bolt)
there was a spark, but it was very weak, mostly yellow, a little blue for a milisecond,
so will check tomorrow to see if spark plug wire, the ignition coil, and the distributor are all connected properly and in good shape, as according to techauto that's where the problem now lyes,
anyways, any help or information is more than appreciated (apologies if i don't know the proper terminology)

cheers!