Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

'92 stereo removal problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 stereo removal problems

sup all,

i got a '92 honda accord and got a new stereo to put in. problem is i dont know how to take out the stock stereo and dont feel like payin for the labor on it. any tips on how i can remove the old stereo? thanks

-BOO
Old 07-24-2002, 12:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: '92 stereo removal problems (BOOhOO)

remove center console

Old 07-24-2002, 12:17 PM

Default Re: '92 stereo removal problems (YeuEmMaiMai)

thanks for such a quick reply...but i need more details than that....im a n00b to car work
Old 07-24-2002, 12:26 PM

you should buy yourself a good repair manual....not haynes from your local autozone. You will probably end up spending around $70 on one but it tells you how to do anything to your car.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:38 PM

Boo,

The other posts weren't very helpful, so I thought I'd help you out. Did this for the first time with my 92 Accord not two weeks ago, and it sounds great!

Here goes.

1.Remove ashtray and cigarette lighter.
2. Remove the centre console, three screws up each side (will need to take **** off shifter to do so, don't know about auto but imagine it's the same).
3.Remove the three screws that hold in the ashtray bracket (two vertical near front, one at back)
4. Remove two screws (should be phillips head but look like bolt, ie hex) that screw up into the compartment under the radio. Now pull radio out by the compartment / drink holder section underneath it.
5. Remove two screws from back of radio mount that holds it to the compartment / drink holder section.
6. Remove plugs for wiring and aerial.

Installation is a reversal of this, so shouldn't be too hard.

Problems I encountered.

1. How to mount stereo (normal single DIN) to existing bracket. [A bit bodgy, but I used a cable tie at the rear which ran through one of the screw holes on the existing mount and up through a cooling vent on the stereo. Then put a screw in either side of the compartment / drink holder (you should see where these could go, they are not tapped but a self tapper will dothe job) and ran wire around these and up over the top. Seems to hold it in there nice and tight. If you got a piece of flexible metal with screw holes in it with you stereo then this should be able to be used. I wasn;t so lucky as to get one with my Sony stereo.
2. Wiring can be a little bit of a drama if you don't know what you're doing. Best thing is to pull the covers off all of the speakers to work out which wires do that job (BTW I changed the ends of each of these wires to suit the speakers I bought which saved me stripping the car to run new ones. They work fine with Sony 140W 6" speakers). If you can get a simple test light you can see which ones supply power, one should supply it all the time, the other should supply it only when the ignition is turned on. I also found that there are two earth wires. Once you have discovered the power ones, use the earth clip on your test light to find these. Once you've found an earth and the two power wires, all you have to do is find the wire for the electric aerial. Wish I had of kept all the wiring notes I made when fitting the stereo. Well I may still have them on the garage floor and I'll check, but don't get your hopes up.

As suggested by the other guys, a manual for the car does help. But don't go spending $70 just to do this job. I got a Haynes and the only wire I could find in it was the electric aerial (I'll confirm the colours of the wire for you so that this is one less you'll have to find). The radio wiring wasn't mentioned anywhere else in the diagrams that I could see in 30 mins of looking. Luckily the others were easy to find if you know what you're doing.

Anyway, best of luck and I hope this helps you out.

Regards,

mikenicko

(Hey not bad for my first post!)
Old 07-24-2002, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: '92 stereo removal problems (mikenicko)

Easier way, look behind the center console. You should see the back of the radio and a metal frame held by two screws. Either use a screwdriver or an 8 mm socket with a screwdriver handle ( don't remember what that tool is called). Anyways take those two screws out and then pull the radio out.

Or if you don't want the radio anymore, just pull on the radio as hard as you can. When the screws on the side are just past the console take them out. Pull the pocket out and one more screw underneath the radio holding the metal bracket and it should all slide out.

[Modified by ichibanjap, 4:27 AM 7/25/2002]
Old 07-24-2002, 08:07 PM

Default Re: '92 stereo removal problems (ichibanjap)

hey thanks mikenicko and ichibanjap, thats some solid help there. first thing tomorrow im gonna try your tips and see if i cant have that hooked up by tomorrow afternoon.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try to use a magnetic screw driver to avoid dropping screws into the floor pan, VERY annoying if you do.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:35 AM

Default Re: '92 stereo removal problems (mikenicko)

hey mike - ya know they make wire harness adapters and dash kits so you don't have to hack up your factory harness, provide better connections, and don't have to jury-rig yor radio in.

your response: yeah but that cost money

my response: don't be cheap
Old 07-28-2002, 02:11 AM

Default Re: '92 stereo removal problems (greensleeper)

Greensleeper,

I never said 'yeah but that cost money'. And I'm not being cheap! You might have all the handy kits for that sort of thing in the US, but in Australia they're a little bit harder to come by, particularly as the Honda Accord is not a hugely popular car for modifications. Besides, you still have to wire the stereo wires up to the plug, so what's wrong with wiring directly and skipping the plug?

I got on this forum to find info and to pass on what I know, so I don't appreciate negative comments. As it was when I put my post up, no-one had bothered to help boohoo with some decent info. We all have to start somewhere, and this forum is a great way for people all around the world to share their experience with modifications and repairs.

Enough said.

mikenicko