Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

91 Accord Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Accord Starting issues

1991 Accord EX AT 4dr AC 203K miles

I have been having this problem for a while but it has gotten very bad lately. At first i might have problems starting the car 1 time a month when the weather had changed from cool to hot. Three times in the past couple weeks the car has refused to start and after waiting 5,10,15 minutes it would start. Sometimes it would happen first time that day in the afternoon and other times it would happen after i had driven it for a bit and stopped. Now i can't start the car at all in the day time when it is 65 degrees or hotter. The only time in the last week that the car has started was after midnight and the outdoor temp was below 60 degrees.

I have changed the plugs,rotor,dist cap. Checked the Air filter. Tried to jump it (it has plenty of turning power).

My uncle tells me to change the timing belt, which i plan on doing anyway. A friend said that she had a similar problem and the mechanic replaced her fuel pump. Another uncle talked to his mechanic and said it's probably something in the distributor area and to have a diagnostic done on it. He said it's only about 10 percent likely that it's the coil but probably a small part inside the dist area.

Please help,
DjTrex
Old 08-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't this generation accord have some kind of recall for the Distributor or something with the ignition system because of a refusal to start?

Maybe an ignitor or something.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 91 Accord Starting issues (DjTrex)

Could be classic symptoms of the main relay. Do a search. Lots of info on diagnostics and repair.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:58 PM

Default Re: 91 Accord Starting issues (Perfectionist)

I have the same problem ur talkin about........... IT started by doing it once, and now its like a guessing game. I drive it, and its fine. Then all of a sudden, takes a dive( car just stalls out). PUll over to teh side, wait like 10 mins, and it starts up again, like it had no issues.

I have also changed, the spark plug wires, cap, rotor, plugs,.......... and continue to have this issue. Have u figured out anything yet? i am taking it to the mechanic at the start of next week, i hope i can figure this **** out before cause its driving me crazy. good luck with ur problem....keep us updated, as i will aslo
Old 08-16-2006, 05:59 PM

I have the exact same problem as you DjTrex. Whenever the weather gets hot, my car refuses to start the first time, and I have to wait (usually) 15 minutes before I get it started. It has no problems starting when the weather is cool, or even freezing (Im in Colorado). Ive been doing some Googling, hopefully I will find something, and if I do, I will post back. Any other thoughts would be helpful!
91 Accord LX 4dr Automatic 160k miles
Old 08-17-2006, 12:01 PM

i have the exact same problem also, but i have a 97 lx. sometimes it would start up easily, but then other times it would just keep cranking and then the car would start rumbling and shaking. i dont know what to do, people told me its probably the spark plugs.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: (legendisdope)

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/mainrelay.php this is to fix the main relay if it can be fixed.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mic...y.htm this one is for replacing the main relay.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Re: (branicvw)

anyone know where u can purchase this relay? and how much do they run?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Re: (mark_is_gay)

mark,

go to honda and get a new main relay or you can just resolder that **** (if you know what you're doing) as for the ignition switch i were you i'd test it first cause i replaced mine last week FREAKIN car stalled the nest day!!!!!!!! so it could be or not my next focus is the main relay on my 94 accord LX. Also could be your fuel pressure regulator fuel injector resistor and if i'm not mistaken when you first turn the key to listen for that hum that's your furl pump kickin in. One last note to check the main relay works listen for clicks. I've been listening for these so called clicks in my own car don't seem to hear nothing.

HAPPY HUNTIN
Old 08-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mark_is_gay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone know where u can purchase this relay? and how much do they run?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look on ebay...I just bought a brand new OEM unit with a 12 month warranty for like $40. There's tons of them for sale. Just search for "Accord Main Relay" and you'll see tons of them. It's not worth it to buy a used one IMO....they're not much cheaper than a brand new one.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: (Jonathan_ED3)

ohh 40 bucks i can do, thanks for looking out........... i just didnt want to ripped off, i also wwanted to change my ( icv) and its like 300 dollars. I just wanted to make sure, before i get ripped off.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:30 PM

UPDATE ! ! ! FIX ! ! !

I took some advise and purchased a new fuel pump relay from my local Honda dealer ($65.00) but before i opened the package i decided to try the resolder the old relay. I took all of the old solder off of each of the parts and resoldered them one by one. After reinstalling the relay the car starts just fine and has done so for 5 days now. Looks like the resolder trick worked. I still need to return the new one that i bought and get my $65.00 back.

Thanks, branicvw. nice link
Old 08-25-2006, 12:13 AM

Default Re: (DjTrex)

nice, glad to hear the update. was it hard to do? i am gonna try to get mine done this weekend. see if that solves it
Old 08-28-2006, 03:15 PM

Ok so today, i baught and replaces the main relay. Car started up, but then died again. Now i am starting to get pissed off, because i have no idea wtf is causing it to just die. The only thing left to fix is the ( icv ) the bottom part of icv that has a hose to it, broke. So iam not sure if that would cause the car to just die like that. I know coolant is leaking from it, but does that sound like it would just die? this is lame, any advice or help would be appreciated....

List of things done to the car so far: plugs, rotor, cap, main relay, I need a new icv, thats it. ANything else i should look for, and its not throwing a code, because the check engine light never comes on.