Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

4th gen short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4th gen short shifter

does anyone make a short shifter or adapter for a 90-93 accord? i got my trans converted but the prelude shifter wouldnt fit properly so im going to use an accord, but i need an adapter now.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (stRodda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stRodda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone make a short shifter or adapter for a 90-93 accord? i got my trans converted but the prelude shifter wouldnt fit properly so im going to use an accord, but i need an adapter now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why wouldnt the prelude shifter fit properly? do you mean the cables hit the console?

I'm not sure how short shifter adapters fit... or if they work w/o hitting the console (common issue w/ 4th gens), but the 2 replacement short shifters from PSPEC and 4bidden both will hit the console. The solution is to trim the console where the cable is.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:45 PM

you can get a spacer form neuspeed for a 92-93 accord. but u will have to get the shifter form a 92-93 for it to work.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:40 PM

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (TypeSH)

i dont know why it wouldnt fit. but when i went to the shop to check it out, thats what i was told. they had put an accord shifter in and the prelude one was sitting on the floor.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:39 AM

i saw the neuspeed adapter for a 91-93 accord. but i gotta quick question. does the adapter actually drop the height of the shifter or does it just create a shorter throw... cause right now, that stock height stick is too damn high for me.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the adapter does not drop the height of the shifter, it just creates a shorter throw. as for the person that said you have to have a 92-93 shifter, i know for a fact that the neuspeed adapter will work on a 91 because we installed one on a 91 accord. i haven't had any experiences with any 90's however, so i can't verify that it will work. i would go buy neuspeed's application though rather than take any chances.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:24 PM

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (f22a)

simple fix.....get the 4bidden shifter (not adapter), and when you take off the console, you'll notice the top plate where the shifter is attached, and then all of that is attached to the main plate which attaches to the frame.....you can get some longer bolts, and mount the top plate UNDER the other one....hammer out the tunnel a bit on the back side to give it room and make sure it's all level and straight......now the cable attachment point doesn't hit the console and you have a shifter that sits lower and is a true short shifter (if you buy the 4bidden shifter of course)....i have mine set up exactly like that and i'm happy...i shift and drive the hell out of my car, and it's not loose or anything....been like that for a couple of months.....cost nothing to fix and didn't have to cut on my console
Old 09-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (fizzbob7)

wish i had done that instead of notch my 91's console, but oh well
Old 09-10-2003, 05:29 PM

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (GimpyAccord)

i almost did that, but i figured i'd try swapping the plates around and it actually worked......i see nothing negative about it either....
Old 09-11-2003, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the prelude shifter in my 91, it sits alot lower and the throws are a tad shorter than the accord shifter. I tried to put a short shift adapter on the prelude shifter but it would hit the console when shifting.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:15 PM

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (SearchBeforeUPost!)

i couldnt find any link on yahoo, doe anyone know of some sites that sell the 4bidden shifter? if i dont get that, ill just the get neuspeed adapter, and ive already had the stock shifter shortened.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:07 PM

i have a pspec for sale if u dont want/cant find a 4bidden unit. see sig.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:35 AM

jeremy@forbiddenmotorsports.com i think
Old 09-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old Solution:

New Solution:
Forgive me for the dirty *** car, school and work own me right now. Just bend the hell out of the lip around the side of the top shifter plate and get it as flat up against the bottom of the lower shifter bracket as possible, then get some bolts and tighten that sucker up, itll move the shifter about 1.5in down so that the old solution doesnt have to annoy the hell out of me! haha

Old 09-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (4gen)

does this retain to the throw too? or just the height of the shifter...also if anyone could pinpoint what in the boot exactly are we talking about (arrows) i'd apreciate it.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (civicboisi)

Depending on the shifter, for me, yes it retains the throw, I think the place of the shifter cables in relation to each other matter more than the actual place of the shifter, guys plz correct me if im wrong. We're talking about the actual plate that sits on the top of the bracket that holds the cables. If you have a short shifter that hits the console, use this method in order to prevent the cables from hitting the console. If you remove your console, you can see that there is a plate that is on top, and then a larger bracket that is underneath it. Move the top plate that holds the actual shifter assembly to underneath the lower cable bracket. Bend the skirts of the top shifter plate so that they lay flat out, parallel not perpindicular with the other part of the plate. Then move this piece underneath the lower bracket and for the two front bolts, you can use the oem bolts, and for the back two, use longer bolts to space the gap the plate will make with the bracket, and then tighten that ****** up, this should provide excellent stability and the same throw as before, just lower. any questions, let me know.

Modified by 4gen at 1:00 AM 9/14/2003
Old 09-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now, if you don't have the kit, could you still do this method without it? Thus improving the throw and reducing the height of the shift ****?
Old 09-14-2003, 07:11 PM

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (civicboisi)

you can simply remove the bushings under that shifter bracket and move them to the top and bolt the bracket directly to the chassis. It will lower about 3/4" of an inch. The throw i believe doesnt get affected, but you lower the shifter height and gives u a bit more clerance to the console.

btw, that shifter in your pictures, did you have a PSPEC shifter redrilled for a OEM hole? It looks just like the one I'm selling except it doesnt have that lower hole.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (TypeSH)

Thats my earlier try to mod the shifter to not hit the console, didnt work very well, messed up the configuration of the cables to locate the proper gear, as well as not fixing the console problem. Mine is actually a replica of the pspec shifter that i believe i bought from a member on ht, cant remember exactly his sn.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fizzbob7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jeremy@forbiddenmotorsports.com i think</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the correct email address

I have one on eBay right now if you want to try that.

fizzbob7 has the best method of solving the console problem. The 4gen is the hardest platform to fit any of the true short shifters in, but mine works great because you can adjust it where it fits and works the best.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:59 AM

can you give a step by step describtion on what you did to lower the shifter . i would like to do this as well . can you still use the neuspeed short shifter plate after this mod?
Old 09-15-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (hondacb7)

removing the bushings netted me nothing, it still hit my 4th gens console. Also unless you lower that shifter, the shift cable is at a... precarious angle at best and almost makes shifting a lil harder.. so it seems for me.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:08 PM

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (GimpyAccord)

best to just mount the top plate underneath the other one.....lowers it enough to clear the 4bidden short shifter (i have it on my 90 accord right now and plenty of clearance, no cutting) and since you're lowering the shifter independently from the plate the cables mount to, it will get rid of the funky angle while still having a short throw...the throw is relative to the point where the shifter sits, so with a 4bidden shifter (3 settings), you can put it in the shortest setting (top hole), then swap the position of the plates, clear the console and still have a shorter throw, but you will also have a shifter that is physically lower and better looking....mine is perfect
Old 09-16-2003, 09:57 AM

This is a great mod i did it yesterday it took maybe an hour to do . So i suggest if u anit did it then u should do it. I hav one ? where can i get a short shifter ? and will a nuespeed plate work with the shifter too.I have niether yet so i dont know what to go with or can i use both. And i hate the look ao the stock shifter anyways .

thanks for the mod yall

Old 09-16-2003, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4th gen short shifter (hondacb7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondacb7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is a great mod i did it yesterday it took maybe an hour to do . So i suggest if u anit did it then u should do it. I hav one ? where can i get a short shifter ? and will a nuespeed plate work with the shifter too.I have niether yet so i dont know what to go with or can i use both. And i hate the look ao the stock shifter anyways .

thanks for the mod yall

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did this improve your throw too?

Quick Reply: 4th gen short shifter