Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

3 jobs - distributor oil leak, EGR passage cleaning, and VTEC Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 jobs - distributor oil leak, EGR passage cleaning, and VTEC Solenoid

Hello,
I am beginner mechanic, and I am wondering how I should attack this project. Do I want to do them all at once, or one thing at a time, in case of troubleshooting?

I just found oil leakage under the distributor. Upon researching, probably it is the inner seal (and outer seal as well.) Outer seal is super easy to replace, and inner one is not easy but not too bad. My Accord started to lose oil this year, so I thought maybe it started to burn oil, but I think this leakage is the reason.
Then I want to clean EGR passage and also replace the gasket for VTEC solenoid. I don't have any symptom or error code, but since it is a common problem, I want to take care of it sooner than later. For this, I've got parts and a tool. https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piec...set-32042.html
I will be replacing the air intake hose as well.

Mine is 2002 Accord, made in Japan, 130K miles.

1. How can I find out if the distributor was made by Hitachi or TOK? How can you tell?
2. Is it wise to do them all at once? Or do I want do these in 2 steps? EGR passage and solenoid, then distributor? If something goes wrong, would I know where is wrong, if I separate them?
3. I saw a mechanic working on BMW under the hood, and he had a kneeling pad above the radiator and sat on it. I don't have that amount of room. How can I work on where it is at far end (in the middle and under the left wiper blade) without breaking my back? Is it safe to take a ply wood and lay on the valve cover? Of course, I need remove PVC valve and spark plug cables? I have a bad back.

I need to buy https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-...ker-66488.html to take a pin out. Do you guys have lots of tools that you have used only once, or never that you bought just in case? I don't have a spare car, so I have several of them as insurance. Still much cheaper than going to a mechanic, but I feel like I am wasting money...

Then I need to buy the inner seal outside of Honda dealership because they don't carry them, I hear.
Thanks!

Old 05-25-2024, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 jobs - distributor oil leak, EGR passage cleaning, and VTEC Solenoid

OP here.
I see two types of seal. Do I need to buy the expensive one?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...72808&_sacat=0
$12.95

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...69380&_sacat=0
$6.95

The second one seems to be the same as this in Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
It says material is NBR70, and the first one says the same in Ebay. However, Amazon has the same description as the more expensive one from Ebay. I am confused.
Old 06-01-2024, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 3 jobs - distributor oil leak, EGR passage cleaning, and VTEC Solenoid

I have done all three of these jobs. Distributor seal is simple but tedious, EGR passage cleaning is pretty simple (and EXTREMELY satisfying - I can all but guarantee you your entire intake manifold is coated with a half inch of black gunk). VTEC solenoid is REALLY tedious, only because access is so limited. I ended up cutting a (10 mil) wrench in half so it would fit in the space needed. Your Pittsburgh wrench might have enough of an angle that you won't need to do this. If I recall, two of the bolts are easy to remove, while the third one is the one with almost no space and I had to use the modified wrench. But anyway - YouTube is your friend. Here are the videos I used.

VTEC solenoid:
EGR Passage:

I can't find the distributor one, but there are plenty on YouTube.

Old 06-07-2024, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Justin02Accord
I have done all three of these jobs. Distributor seal is simple but tedious, EGR passage cleaning is pretty simple (and EXTREMELY satisfying - I can all but guarantee you your entire intake manifold is coated with a half inch of black gunk). VTEC solenoid is REALLY tedious, only because access is so limited. I ended up cutting a (10 mil) wrench in half so it would fit in the space needed. Your Pittsburgh wrench might have enough of an angle that you won't need to do this. If I recall, two of the bolts are easy to remove, while the third one is the one with almost no space and I had to use the modified wrench. But anyway - YouTube is your friend. Here are the videos I used.
Thank you for your comment, and links to videos. I did the distributor seal replacement. What should be so simple became a big trouble and I had to go to a junk yard...
Not going into what happened, but I am now wondering if I should leave the other two jobs (EGR passage and solenoid) alone because of fear. Don't fix what is not broken, right? There is no CEL or error code. I understand this is a known issue with Honda and it needs to be done later anyway. Maybe I will get to it in Fall or next year, because it had an emotional impact on me.