Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1996 honda accord crank won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 1996 honda accord crank won't start

New to honda So forgive me if I seem angry ,
now that that's out of the way I have a 1996 honda accord ex 2.2 L it cranks no fuek pump prime no green d4 light no fuel pressure at filter new pgm f1 relay .
does anyone have any idea what is going on ? I've pin tested read every manual I can get my hands on regarding fuel and electronics on honda issues
1 thing of note there was a lot of melted wires under driver dash and the loom was open wires everywhere common issue for melted wires on these ?
break me in softly because I need help
Old 10-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1996 honda accord crank won't start

This really sounds like a big issue. Did the accord run at one point? When did the damage to the wiring occur? How many wires are melted and are they limited to one area? Was the Honda in use and did you smell burning wires? Do you have a shop manual and or a wiring diagram for your make and year?

I lost the right inner fender on my 1997 Honda Accord EX while it was under warranty. I asked the dealer to replace the wiring harness. They managed to tape it up and this created a mess for me later down the road. I ordered and replaced that portion of the wiring harness (about $90.00) and I have had zero issues since.

I believe the 96 and 97 are the same generation Accord. My Accord starts the fuel pump when the key is turned on. It runs for about five seconds and stops. This keeps from flooding the engine in the event there is an injector that is stuck open. The fuel pump relay restarts the fuel pump after the engine starts running.

I hope this helps some...

Sincerely,

Brķan S. Du Bois
Evansville, IN
Old 10-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got all the redneck wiring fixed on driver side of dash , it was a red wire black stripe 4 gray dots every 2 ft that was melted from radio area of dash to glove box , found melted wires from a poor car stereo instal behind dash , the car runs intermittently if it's warm outside fires right up every time but I've noticed after it rains or is high in humidity the car will not allow the fuel pump to prime I'm leaning towards an ecm problem moisture related
Old 10-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bsdubois
This really sounds like a big issue. Did the accord run at one point? When did the damage to the wiring occur? How many wires are melted and are they limited to one area? Was the Honda in use and did you smell burning wires? Do you have a shop manual and or a wiring diagram for your make and year?

I lost the right inner fender on my 1997 Honda Accord EX while it was under warranty. I asked the dealer to replace the wiring harness. They managed to tape it up and this created a mess for me later down the road. I ordered and replaced that portion of the wiring harness (about $90.00) and I have had zero issues since.

I believe the 96 and 97 are the same generation Accord. My Accord starts the fuel pump when the key is turned on. It runs for about five seconds and stops. This keeps from flooding the engine in the event there is an injector that is stuck open. The fuel pump relay restarts the fuel pump after the engine starts running.

I hope this helps some...

Sincerely,

Brķan S. Du Bois
Evansville, IN
I have access to Chilton helms and honda shop manuals I'm a diesel technician by trade I traced and pin tested every wire every connection the fuel pump is not being activated by ecm not creating a ground for pgm f1 to cycle pump if I back probe pump I can cycle it on separate power source
But the other thing I have noticed is my one 2 scanner will not connect to vehicle wheb it fails to start
It will however connect if and when the car decides to start , I checked all grounds I can find for ecm 1 is on intake driver side one is by fuel pump and a couple random ones in engine bay they are all clean and wires are good . I'm leaning towards ecm issue but until I get my hands on a spare to prove my theory I'm at a loss for what to try .
Old 10-26-2017, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When the car doesn't start, does the CEL come on and go off? Keep us posted! I hope the spare ECM gets everything squared away.