Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1996 Accord Fuel Pump Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:08 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Accord Fuel Pump Issue

Hey guys, I have a 1996 Honda Accord 2.2 SOHC. Car cranks but won't start, pulled the fuel line to the fuel rail, no fuel coming out. Checked fuse for fuel pump and main (PGM) relay, ok, can feel relay 'clicking' when car is turned on. Switched the pump but still not working, jumped the pump directly to battery and she works. I'm at a loss right now. What are the voltage values supposed to be at the fuel pump connector behind the rear seat? I'm getting anywhere from 2-5v back there, but I don't remember what wire gave me what values. Read quite a few threads on various forums but everyone seems to have just a relay or pump issue, but my relay seems to be ok (took the cover off, soldering looks ok, no cracks) and my pump is clearly working when hooked directly to 12v.
NOTE: Vehicle has been parked since like 09 b/c of the no start. Belonged to my aunt, no accident, no visible signs of water entering the cabin/water leaks.

Thanks for any and all the help guys!
Old 07-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1996 Accord Fuel Pump Issue

Originally Posted by Psychosadistik
Hey guys, I have a 1996 Honda Accord 2.2 SOHC. Car cranks but won't start, pulled the fuel line to the fuel rail, no fuel coming out. Checked fuse for fuel pump and main (PGM) relay, ok, can feel relay 'clicking' when car is turned on. Switched the pump but still not working, jumped the pump directly to battery and she works. I'm at a loss right now. What are the voltage values supposed to be at the fuel pump connector behind the rear seat? I'm getting anywhere from 2-5v back there, but I don't remember what wire gave me what values. Read quite a few threads on various forums but everyone seems to have just a relay or pump issue, but my relay seems to be ok (took the cover off, soldering looks ok, no cracks) and my pump is clearly working when hooked directly to 12v.
NOTE: Vehicle has been parked since like 09 b/c of the no start. Belonged to my aunt, no accident, no visible signs of water entering the cabin/water leaks.

Thanks for any and all the help guys!
Having this exact same problem. Replaced the main relay, no dice. It clicks. Normally it's supposed to click again after a couple seconds, turning off the check engine light to start up. It doesn't. CEL just stays solid. Got it to fire up yesterday for a few hours, off and on. No idea why this is happening. D4 flashes with key on, check engine light stays bright, obd-ii scanner won't connect to the computer. Is this an ECU problem? When I got the car to start it fired code P1786 at me. Sorry this isn't your saving grace post, but I just wanted you to know you aren't alone lol. I just registered to make this exact same post. HELP PLS :c

EDIT: ALSO a 1996 Accord.