Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1991 Honda Accord EX, Sport Light Stays On/ Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1991 Honda Accord EX, Sport Light Stays On/ Transmission Problem (trwpaper)

Hello Sir, i have the same car (91 honda accord) and have a similar problem. Please how do i locate and jumper the 2 blue pin connector to get the code, and what do i do with the code to resolve the issue. You can also reach me at dimu4ever@yahoo.com

I live in Nigeria. Thanks
Old 08-26-2015, 12:12 AM
Trial User

Icon5 Re: 1991 Honda Accord EX, Sport Light Stays On flashing/ Transmission Problem

I have a similar problem:

1991 Honda Accord Ex, 4 Dr., many kms, but it has been running great, and kept in v/good shape, well maintained,... in Canada.

"S" Sport light for transmission blinks, constantly, right after driving for a few minutes,.. NOT when starting. Engine Light also comes on, but not at first on starting, only after driving a few minutes, and after S comes on
The car doesn't start at first crank (maybe 2-3 cranks), with a new battery this week.

1. Trans doesn't go into Overdrive, but starts jerking at abt 3500 rpm, at approx 125+ Km/h.
  2. But Trans does shift properly from 1st to 4th in D4, and D3, and gears "1" and "2 " work fine, except if I push car around the limit of gear, car will jerk in any gear: 1-2-D3-D4, at abt 3000-3500 rpm,..!
  3. Engine Light also stays on most times, except during initial start up !
  4. Cruise control seems finicky but seems to work fine most times.
  5. I have NOT (YET ) encountered the speedometer dropping or stopping completely, or 3rd or 4th gear dropping as some have experienced,..
  6. Can u pls tell me where are the Speed Control, and the TCU located, and what is VSS ( speedcontrol unit ??),..
  7. I don't know if these are related: but there seem to be some electrical problems with the headlight/signal stalk ( the dash blue light for full headlight doesn't work), and DRL is not working, and the flasher signal lights on dash don't work !!
  8. Maybe all these started when I was told to replace the starting ignition switch, when the car wouldn't start few yrs ago ! After that I bought a new car, and basically parked this car, but have now reactivated it.
Pls help, as many mechanics don't know the answers, or are giving me inconsistent solutions, some are just guessing, or want a lot of money,etc.
Thanking you,
Old 08-29-2015, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1991 Honda Accord EX, Sport Light Stays On/ Transmission Problem

Best place to start, get the codes from the TCU and ECU and start from there.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Trial User

Can Anyone explain what "jumper " means?
Old 01-17-2016, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The connector is two female wire connections. So you need something (a piece of wire. paperclip, something) to "jump" or connect the two female wire connectors together.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Trial User

My 1991 Honda Accord has the S light blinking and I jumped it and I got the code 14 I also counted the LED light on my computer and I got the code 17. It seems like my car is having a hard time going into 3rd gear not sure My blinkers won't work but my hazards do. And now my brake lights are out and also my my speedometer I don't know what to do I'm a single mother and it seems like my car is falling apart please help
Old 06-22-2016, 05:58 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

If you read a code 14 from the S or D4 light that means the FAS wire(communication wire between the TCU and ECU) is not properly communicating. Check your wire harness for any damage or flooding. This would cause a no shift/limp mode issue.

Code 17 from the check engine light is for VSS(vehicle speed sensor). This would cause non-functional speedometer.

Check any recent work done on the car first. Often the last thing done to a vehicle is the cause of the current issue(s).

Verify all fuses electrically.
Verify all fuses are installed correctly.
Verify battery connections are clean and tight.
Verify battery is fully charged.
Verify main grounds/bonding cables are clean and tight.
Check the wire harness down to the VSS and back through the firewall is intact/undamaged.
Check the wire harness to TCU/ECU is clearn and tight.
Check the pins on TCU/ECU are clean and undamaged.
Verify pins in wire harness connectors are clean/tight and fully inserted.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Trial User

I had this same problem and Replaced the Main Relay under the drivers side dash just above the pedals. The "S" light went off and the car shifted like normal.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:25 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by justinsbg
The TCU or Transmission Control Unit is the most likely cause for your shifting problems. Check your brake master cylinder under the hood for the brake fluid level, if it's low it will cause the brake light to illuminate. The most likely cause for the door ajar light is the door switch which is a little push button switch on the door jam. When door closes it pushes that switch in which then is supposed to turn the light off. If you need help with your TCU let me know. I work in NC and repair TCU's. Be aware of buying used TCU's, you may end up with the same problem.
Originally Posted by justinsbg
Usually the TCU's give a lot of problems with these cars. I'm not a big fan of resistance testing but check the resistance in the shift solenoids. Specifications are 12-24 ohms for each solenoid.Drive the car for about 15 minutes then check the solenoid resistance. Sometimes the shift solenoid windings short and burn the TCU. I am a Honda/Acura service technician in North Carolina and I repair Transmission computers for 1990-1993 Accords. For $90.00 plus around $5.00 shipping I can repair yours and get it back to you with quick turn around time. Let me know if I can help.
If I have to get my tcu fixed what type of shop would I go to? I don't know how to fix it. Also any suggestions on how to fix a door that won't open? I've been told the latch might be broken.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Alicia Erricson
If I have to get my tcu fixed what type of shop would I go to? I don't know how to fix it. Also any suggestions on how to fix a door that won't open? I've been told the latch might be broken.
any place the works on electronics that can solder in \ replace the components on the board, doesn't necessarily have to be an automotive shop
Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 AM
Trial User

try replace the vehicle speed sensor. its behind the engine. it controls the gauges