Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1990 Honda accord trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 Honda accord trans fluid change

Hey guys I was just wondering if I should do a transmission fluid change, not flush on my 1990 Honda accord ex automatic. The vehicle has 243k miles on the odometer and I've had it since 205k.
I read that if you replace old fluid, which idk when it's been changed, that the new fluid just disintegrates the transmission and what-not, because the grit is actually providing the friction.
But I want my car to go another 250k miles and, since I've had it, the shifting hasn't changed or anything drastic, I'd do it just as preventative maintenance, but don't want to mess up my car either, they said most the time when that happens to a transmission after a fluid change, is because you are experiencing some kind of issue and are trying to remedy it, which I am not. As far as I know the transmission isn't slipping, it shifts into every gear just fine, I baby the thing. Sometimes it shifts hard, but if I get it up to running rpm like 2800 rpm,it shifts smooth, so idk if that's a problem and since I've had it also I like to shift the transmission myself by letting up off the gas and it'll shift. Again it's always been like that and has been perfectly reliable.
My thought was what if I did say just one trans fluid drain and fill. I know I read that you should do it 3 times after driving a few miles in between to get all the fluid out, but what if I did it very slowly and over maybe a month, do you think that, that would be a slow enough transition for the transmission, as to not mess anything up? Anyone have any good experience, changing, not flushing, old trans fluid out, and as to where I can see the dipstick to see what the fluid condition is in.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: 1990 Honda accord trans fluid change

There really is no "flush" process for the AT fluid in that car. Honda recommends draining and replacing the Dextron II the fluid every 30K miles. I guess it's possible it has never been changed, but more than likely it has. In theory, I guess running new fluid through there with the drain plug out would be considered flushing.

If you decide to change it, be sure to locate the drain plug and have your catch pan, wrench, rags and everything ready in advance, because you want to change that fluid when it is still decently hot from a good drive, which ensures it drains the fluid and as much of the sediment that might be in there, as possible. Get your jack stands under there and and get the old fluid out.

Put the car back on level ground before refilling it because you will want to add fluid slowly, giving it time to drain down into the pan, and using the dipstick to constantly check it so you don't overfill it. Overfilling that type of transmission can be costly.