Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

01 accord seat belts stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 01 accord seat belts stuck

Both front seat belts on my 2001 accord are stuck. I removed the trim to get to the retractor but see no way of releasing the belt. Can anyone help?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 01 accord seat belts stuck

With as hard as that thing "hit"....I'm betting they are done for and will need to be replaced. Were there two people in the car, fronts seats, when it hit?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
With as hard as that thing "hit"....I'm betting they are done for and will need to be replaced. Were there two people in the car, fronts seats, when it hit?
That is what I was thinking that maybe once the airbag has deployed the seat belts will not unlock. I think there was just the driver in the car when the accident happened as only the drivers side airbag deployed. I read somewhere that the seat has a weight sensor in it and the airbag will only deploy if there is a certain amount of weight in the seat. This keeps the airbag from deploying in a collision when small children are in the front seat. Not really sure if that is true or not. The drivers side belt is only extended about a foot,but the passenger side is close to being fully extended. I have set in the car tugging and tugging again trying to get them to retract but it just will not happen. I was reading on a civic forum that the srs system can be reset but I have not replaced the deployed airbag yet. I was wondering if the srs system may be keeping them from retracting as the srs light is on?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Again, you know the car took a good hit.

Quick glance at the manual and I'm guessing at the very least the SRS is done - the SRS unit is a one shot deal.

You could check the SRS codes - I'm guessing there will be several and you'll have to start at the top of the "tree" and work your way down.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Again, you know the car took a good hit.

Quick glance at the manual and I'm guessing at the very least the SRS is done - the SRS unit is a one shot deal.

You could check the SRS codes - I'm guessing there will be several and you'll have to start at the top of the "tree" and work your way down.
Will a obd scanner read the srs codes? Thanks
Old 01-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most of the "normal" scanners will not read SRS codes. Meaning the local parts store readers will not do anything.

I hate to put this out there, sorry most times I don't like to cut corners when trying to help over the "net", just like the 5th gen you have/had there is a "jump" method on the OBD-II port you can do that will give the "simple" SRS/ABS/PCM codes.

Sorry I can't and won't say how to do it here but you can "google" the how to and use it at your own risk.

I want to help but I hope you understand.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sure, I saw something about that while searching earlier but really didn't pay it much mind. I will see if I can find it again. From what I have read so far looks pretty expensive. Probably going to have to replace the srs unit and seat belts. If I understand it right the seat belts are tied in with the srs system and are designed to actually tighten (take out any slack) at about the same time the airbag deploys. And like the airbags once they are locked down its a one time deal and they must be replaced. I thought it was weird when I saw 3 wiring harnesses plugged into the seat belt retractor.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, starting in 01 the "retractor" was included in the system - to your point would "lock down" in an accident.

SRS unit, seat belt(s) and air bags are prtty much a given. Can't remember if the 6th gens also have the crash sensor on/in the bumper....might have been on the newer ones. Sorry, sometimes all these things get "jumbled up" in my tiny head but I don't think that was until the 7th or 8th gens.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know I have been wondering just that about a sensor in the front somewhere. I know the older GMs had sensors mounted up front but back in those days they relied on the front sensor to set off the airbag. I have pretty much accounted for all the wiring up front and have not seen anything that that goes with the srs system. I am supposed to go look at a complete 2002 accord tomorrow that is hit in the rear. I am going to strip and paint the top surfaces of a nissan frontier and the guy is giving me the accord as payment. It has all the parts I need for my car so I hope that pans out. The airbags did not deploy on it so I am not sure if the srs unit is still good or not. It is also a 4 door.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are two different types of SRS units on these,,,,so check the numbers...that much I do remember.

I could be off on the "front crash sensor"...I already stated I can't remember right now and sorry that I'm too lazy to look right now.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the guy with the 02 accord turned out to be just another one of those craigslist talkers who probably does not even have a 02 accord. However I did find a 02 in the junk yard today and got both front seat belts and the SRS unit out of it. Got the belts for $7.99 each and the SRS unit for $13.49. The belts are even the same color blue as the ones in my car. Now all I need is to find the time to install them. Last week I also bought a new core support so when I get done with the truck I am working on now I should be able to get those parts installed. Its a slow process but I have enough parts to keep me busy when I get time.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

An old man up past his bedtime.......something in my mind tells me there were two different SRS units in these and I'm not sure they are interchangeable. So you might want to very the numbers on the old SRS unit and the one you got to be sure it will work.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will check the numbers before I do the install. The car I took it out of had front seat airbags and my car does not. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I guess if the part numbers are the same it will work. One thing I was wondering is my car was included in the airbag recall, is there a way to tell a recalled airbag from one that was replaced?
Old 02-14-2016, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to bet that if the donor car had the side air bags and yours does not that the unit will not be the same.

I don't know of a way to tell if the air bag has been replaced.....I guess you could call Honda Corp and have them run the VIN and see if it was included and if it has been replaced. You did just get the car and you just want to know.

I still need to schedule my 07 Pilot replacement, just been putting it off :eek:
Old 02-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man really getting tired of dealing with this srs system. I replaced both front seat belts and the steering wheel airbag. Tore apart the console today only to find that the srs unit I got from a 2002 accord is the wrong unit. So now I am afraid to hook up the battery in fear that the old srs unit will lock my new seat belt rendering them useless. Seems my only recourse is to buy a new unit from honda for nearly $400. Found out that only a srs unit from a 2001 without side airbags will work. I have read horror stories about people who sent their units off to erase crash data and reprogram them. I see why they total older honda's when the airbags deploy. Will post pictures later.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pictures
Attached Images    
Old 02-22-2016, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"Pretty sure" that since the old SRS unit has "fired" it will not re-fire...one and done....hence why the light is on and won't be cleared until a new unit is installed along with air bags and that. Meaning that the car can start and run but the SRS will not work and the light will be on.

Have you tried "car-part (dot) com" and see if any local bone yards have an SRS unit that will work?

Again, pretty much knew the one you got would not work since it had the side air bags and your car does not.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was searching the inventory of the place I got the wrong srs unit from. It is one of the u pull it places. According to their website they have a 2001 accord coupe in their yard. Wish I would have known that this morning when I was there. I am going tomorrow and see if it is the right one if the bags did not deploy. If so I am going to see if they will let me switch them out. At least now I know the number of the one I need.