Group Threads Club, Large Multi-Region Group, "Squad" Discussions

del Sol thread v 2.0!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: del Sol Owner's Club Thread v 2.0!

Originally Posted by jays01
i think he was talking to the other guy. as for your situtation im f*ckin baffled. so you went back to stock and everything work you put the leds in and nothing.there are the two plugs for the dimmer check both make sure there on tight the blue on in the back and the 3 wire white one that goes in the cluster to the ****
yep its on

the dimmer is the problem

if i could figure out a way to get around the dimmer everything would work.

They worked fine on wills EDM cluster (comes stock w/o a dimmer)
Old 01-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could it be because he's got a 96-97 ???

shiux ---- sol or s2000, idc... go to IA09!!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could be?

i don't see why it would matter, what changed besides the bezel?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as for your situtation im f*ckin baffled.
X2...but you've been coming up with some good diagnostic ideas though
i've been completely stumped after the dimmer which i was convinced was the problem and the major difference between his and my cluster

also explains why my climate control didn't light up for the longest time cause my edm/jdm cluster didn't have a dimmer...had to hardwire it in another way (plus the climate control wasn't plugged into anything cause i have not heat, fan, ac etc)

cluster and climate control and connected by means of the dimmer

Originally Posted by Xathine
yep its on

the dimmer is the problem

if i could figure out a way to get around the dimmer everything would work.

They worked fine on wills EDM cluster (comes stock w/o a dimmer)
ya i did and also works where the dimmer doesn't control it, like indicator lights

assumed it must be clusters then, usdm and edm/jdm/ukdm

i plugged my cdm cluster which has a dimmer too and nothing turned on at all...never figured it out...figured it was teh cluster again so only way is to swap out speedos/tachs into a non dimmer cluster

wow this stuff is complicated

i've heard other people talk about problems with their clusters/interior lights/climate control lighting up but figured it was just a unique case

Originally Posted by JtriX21
could it be because he's got a 96-97 ???
thats a good point i didn't think about, how some people with usdm clusters have leds even with dimmers
but i thought only difference is the bezel really
i mean obdII can't affect the wiring of the climate control/dimmer/cluster can it?
unless the dash wiring is somewhat different, but still

if only you could test another cluster in your del sol, then that would eliminate your car being the problem. but unless it was one with a dimmer that works with leds, the climate control wouldn't turn on cause it needs it?

all fuses are good cause it lights up with stock lights...hmmm
Old 01-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah.

And you can't dim LEDs. They are eaither on, or off.

I just need to find a way to bypass the dimmer.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont recall the cluster being any different at all i had a 97 del sol cluster in my 93 with no problems. it has to be the dimmer or a fuse is all i can think ill look at mine and see what i can figure out
Old 01-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont recall the cluster being any different at all i had a 97 del sol cluster in my 93 with no problems. it has to be the dimmer or a fuse is all i can think ill look at mine and see what i can figure out
Why would it be the fuse if my cluster / dimmer still works with the OEM lights?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not saying the clusters aren't interchangable. i'm saying like will mentioned, about in dash wiring for OBD2...

The backing on the cluster may be different, where the connections are routed differently up to the pins that the dash harness connects to. just an idea of the differences between them...

it's the little differences that count sometimes. like the 1995 + fuel filter bracket (angled) as opposed to the vertical on 92-95
Old 01-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i honestly think its just the dimmer.

I don't think the wiring would affect anything.

A blubs a bulb, a sockets a socket. Doesn't matter hows it wired, its still made to light **** up!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn this is all really helpful to my lighting issue.. stock cluster/interior lights quit working, tried my edm in (no dimmer) and it lights up, but still no other interior lights.. no popped fuses, so i guess i'll get another usdm cluster and try swapping the dimmers
Old 01-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wtb: my pimpin lights to work plz halp
Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Xathine

A blubs a bulb, a sockets a socket. Doesn't matter hows it wired, its still made to light **** up!
i must say that made me laugh but yes the wiring is the same for the dash plugs all years it has to be the dimmer if the stock bulbs work fine the leds coud be different because of the resistance in them or the power they need to light could be affected by the dimmer

also will how did you wire up your trans tops switch to operate your window. i want mine to control something else but im not sure which wire is up, down , and what the other wire is suposed to be.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i must say that made me laugh but yes the wiring is the same for the dash plugs all years it has to be the dimmer if the stock bulbs work fine the leds coud be different because of the resistance in them or the power they need to light could be affected by the dimmer

also will how did you wire up your trans tops switch to operate your window. i want mine to control something else but im not sure which wire is up, down , and what the other wire is suposed to be.
Yeah thats what I figured.

So, someone with some electrical smarts figure out how to bypass the dimmer before I see how far the cluster will fly down my street! :D
Old 01-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you fix my problem, paypal $$$$$$$$$ will come your way
Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you say i get money im on it haha
Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah

***** gettin' dumb

not one ****ing thing i've ordered in the past month has been right / worked -.-
Old 01-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like i said it was an idea. I'm the 1st one to doubt what i said, but it's not something to ignore, just how the integras are different from each other in so many ways (3rd gen)

everything from how the freaking horn is tired into the srs harness, etc. Sometimes it's the dumbest ****...

but this is the dSoc thread, not the i put leds in my cluster and i can't see **** like stevie wonder thread...
soooooo

Old 01-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that white sol is ****ing sexy

i want those fenders
Old 01-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

been thinking about what i think i know about LEDs and how they are different from bulbs is because like Kev said, you can't dim LEDS. LEDs - light emitting diodes, which light up when a certain voltage and resistance to light up, just like a regular bulb exept thats just a simple resistor instead of diode and also why LEDs are "brighter" and don't run as hot as incondescant lamps.
if the voltage and resistance is not there then it won't light up cause they are 12V LEDs, which is what a car has for a source. they should have all the resistors built into teh bulb itself to make it light with just 12V source which is why its such a tall bulb. that exact amount is what is given in teh indicator bulbs (w/o dimmer) which is why they can light up.

Then started to think about a dimmer, and if i'm not mistaken, it just limits voltage to the bulbs rather than resitance which makes them look dim. like a regular dimmer in a house. so what I'm saying is the range of the dimmer, X volts to Y volts isn't within the threshold of the LEDs. Maybe some are which is how others can make it work. Were the regular stock bolts kinda dim always? maybe the dimmer just won't output enough voltage to light LEDs, be nice to try another one but might be hard/not worth trying to get ahold of one.

anyways, thats just a lot of useless babble of my thought process to confirm that its the dimmer

clusters with dimmers need dimmers to light up and different in internal wiring from cluster's w/o

one thigns i'm not sure about is how other people with jdm clusters don't have a problem with their climate control like i did? figured the plug into the dimmer is the connection that lights and able to adjust the light in teh climate control. unless w/o a dimmer then the climate control gets a constant, non dimmed voltage source so lights up regular. basically dimmer is a control only for the cllimate and not a source and it was a coincidence that my climate control lights stopped functioning

also, one time i tried plugging in a dimmer with my edm cluster and just let it hang int eh back not attatched to teh cluster at all to see if it would work. my cluster lit up but the dimmer did nothing. this is what i'm saying when clusters w and w/o dimmers and different. mine didn't have the wiring or capability to be dimmed
Old 01-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good thoughts will

but i'm still not sure what I could do to eaither bypass the dimmer itself, or draw more power to the cluster for the LEDs.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ah my fault man! lol
Old 01-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sohc95vtec-t
damn this is all really helpful to my lighting issue.. stock cluster/interior lights quit working, tried my edm in (no dimmer) and it lights up, but still no other interior lights.. no popped fuses, so i guess i'll get another usdm cluster and try swapping the dimmers
you problem is simple you dont have a dimmer on the edm cluster so you have nothing to control the other lights same problem i had so i just took the dimmer off my usdm cluster and mounted it in the dash so my other light would still work.

Originally Posted by mugen-k
been thinking about what i think i know about LEDs and how they are different from bulbs is because like Kev said, you can't dim LEDS. LEDs - light emitting diodes, which light up when a certain voltage and resistance to light up, just like a regular bulb exept thats just a simple resistor instead of diode and also why LEDs are "brighter" and don't run as hot as incondescant lamps.
if the voltage and resistance is not there then it won't light up cause they are 12V LEDs, which is what a car has for a source. they should have all the resistors built into teh bulb itself to make it light with just 12V source which is why its such a tall bulb. that exact amount is what is given in teh indicator bulbs (w/o dimmer) which is why they can light up.

Then started to think about a dimmer, and if i'm not mistaken, it just limits voltage to the bulbs rather than resitance which makes them look dim. like a regular dimmer in a house. so what I'm saying is the range of the dimmer, X volts to Y volts isn't within the threshold of the LEDs. Maybe some are which is how others can make it work. Were the regular stock bolts kinda dim always? maybe the dimmer just won't output enough voltage to light LEDs, be nice to try another one but might be hard/not worth trying to get ahold of one.
thats basically what i was saying about the resistance and voltage supply but you deffinitl explained it in hella more and nicer detail

Originally Posted by mugen-k
one thigns i'm not sure about is how other people with jdm clusters don't have a problem with their climate control like i did? figured the plug into the dimmer is the connection that lights and able to adjust the light in teh climate control. unless w/o a dimmer then the climate control gets a constant, non dimmed voltage source so lights up regular. basically dimmer is a control only for the cllimate and not a source and it was a coincidence that my climate control lights stopped functioning

also, one time i tried plugging in a dimmer with my edm cluster and just let it hang int eh back not attatched to teh cluster at all to see if it would work. my cluster lit up but the dimmer did nothing. this is what i'm saying when clusters w and w/o dimmers and different. mine didn't have the wiring or capability to be dimmed
some what same problem i incounter but like i stated above i just mounted my us dimmer in the dash and now i still have the ability to adjust the bright ness of the climate light and lights in my switches i meant to take pics today but was busy on another car all day
Old 01-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Xathine
maybe if you dont get it fixed by the time you come down to get the repairs done which just let me know when you want to and whens best for you maybe we can tamper with it also
Old 01-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you problem is simple you dont have a dimmer on the edm cluster so you have nothing to control the other lights same problem i had so i just took the dimmer off my usdm cluster and mounted it in the dash so my other light would still work.
i wish it were simple, but, what im saying, is my stock cluster ****ed up i guess, so i had no interior lights, so i tried swapping in my edm to see it if had the same issue, and it lit up, but still no climate control, etc.. so could it maybe be my dimmer on my stock cluster crapped out?
Old 01-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I've heard the same thing about LED dash lights years ago, and that the only way to do it was by bypassing the dimmer or using a cluster that doesn't include a dimmer in the first place.

Back when electroluminescent gauges were all the rage, I remember people having issues wiring them up to the OEM pins because of the dimmer switch.

Quick Reply: del Sol thread v 2.0!