Group Threads Club, Large Multi-Region Group, "Squad" Discussions

** The offical 96-00 civic 4dr thread ** PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ** The offical 96-00 civic 4dr thread ** PART 2

sooo anyone who's changed the primary o2 in our cars... how much of a bitch is it?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had to end up ordering some patch panels for my quarter panel rust...it'll be easier than trying to make what we need. Car is coming along well though. Dent in door has been repaired...oh, and found out tonight that I need a new hood...more rust has popped up and already ate through...
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by djslim23

I have a question about suspension...

So, currently I'm sporting Skunk2 coil over springs and EVERYTHING else is OEM. The ride is harsh with a capital H. Harsh. The Skunk2's have been on the car approximately 3 years and have already lost most of their paint on the springs and do not look so hot. But, I do not want to invest in new springs if I don't have to. That said, would a simple upgrade to aftermarket shocks soften the ride a bit? I am not sure the specs of the Skunk2's, but from snooping around a little I believe the fronts are about 450 lbs and the rears are 350 lbs or so. I am under the impression that having aftermarket springs on stock shocks is calling for some stiffness. I promised my girlfriend I'd tackle this problem this summer, and I promised myself I would after countless occasions of air time when hitting bridges on the freeway.

These are basically what I have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SKUNK...Q5fAccessories

I want to eventually have the Koni/GC setup down the road, so would getting the Koni Yellows be a wise choice now? I'm blindly assuming they'll work with the skunk2's.

Sorry for the long message, and thanks in advance for any advice!

Here's my stance now, not slammed, but I like it where it's at.
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DJslim09/DSC01661.jpg
IMO - IMO only, there will never be a shock & spring combo that will preform better than a true coil-over system. Whether it's a low end Function, Tein, or top end Zeal, HKS, Spoon, Mugen, etc etc damper

Skunk2 is the worst company ever w/ the most appeal. They've been around too long to keep releasing crappy products, again IMO. Koni is a great Shock GC is a great spring paired they are a good combo, would I buy them? No. Why because I can take that same money and buy a good proven coilover.

Originally Posted by Moosecakes
sooo anyone who's changed the primary o2 in our cars... how much of a bitch is it?
It's a Honda. Everything is easy. The only thing hard about a Honda is keeping it from being stolen.

Originally Posted by Genuine Rolla
Had to end up ordering some patch panels for my quarter panel rust...it'll be easier than trying to make what we need. Car is coming along well though. Dent in door has been repaired...oh, and found out tonight that I need a new hood...more rust has popped up and already ate through...

Sweet Pics Pete, LOL congrats on the progress. Post pics no one here cares it's under construction we love to see rocks turn into diamonds, and phoenix's rise from it's ash.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some pics Brian took with his film camera.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nothing wrong with functional tinting!

Mallard, Do you still have your cruise control? I can't believe I forgot to ask with a shirt shipment coming my way..
I still have cruise, but it's not in the car. The shirts should be pressed on Friday and based on past experience I expect the shipment to arrive to me approx. July 16th. I will start shipping immediately upon getting them.

Originally Posted by battle951sedan
hahaha. the new plate will be priceless!
I'm thinking more like.... EPIC Redemption.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice Pics Mike!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response Rare. I feel you with the full coil over belief. But I don't see myself affording any this summer. That being the case, would I be wasting my time just getting shocks, or will that give a moderate change in the stiffness?

Mallard, is the cruise still for sale? If so, could you possibly give me a price shipped with my shirt if that is easier for you? I've had my eye on it for a while
Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know I still have it. I just don't remember if it had a price tagged on it. I will look it up. I also need your full mailing address. Please PM it to me.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shocks with a shortened shaft will provide you a great deal of increased ride comfort. Koni yellows are a great shock, adjustable dampening and what not. I honestly think they would be a good investment. Chances are you have some blown shocks or they are bottoming out a lot.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response Rare. I feel you with the full coil over belief. But I don't see myself affording any this summer. That being the case, would I be wasting my time just getting shocks, or will that give a moderate change in the stiffness?
well one day you will invest in new shocks, then springs, then coilover 3x the money spent lol. Keep Your out for a good used set relatively cheap, if your going to spend 450+ LMK I may be able to help you out. < -- If your not there set aside the money til you get there. Suspension follows along the lines of accessories. Save your money to get the good stuff, it may take longer but the end prod. is just worth it.

shocks with a shortened shaft will provide you a great deal of increased ride comfort. Koni yellows are a great shock, adjustable dampening and what not. I honestly think they would be a good investment. Chances are you have some blown shocks or they are bottoming out a lot.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually need to fiddle with my dampening a little now that i have shock travel lol
Old 07-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you Tyler and Joel. You don't think Koni/GC would be a good, long term setup? The Koni shocks alone are about $560 shipped, so I will probably be spending something in that range, hopefully within the next month or so. I'm not crazy on buying something used that wears out, but I fully understand what you mean about paying more now and saving more later. I was just under the impression there would not be many problems down the road with the koni/gc setup since it's all the rave.

Mallard, thanks, PM sent
Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally will never run a different suspension setup on any car i own. I've ridden in full body coiled cars, from FF type 1's, 2's, top of the line Tein suspensions to "low end" setups like blox. I can say that i love the koni/gc setup because of the ability to get ANY spring rates you want, and they go super duper low
Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HiD spoiler alert!!! Caution!!

What I'm working with:

Idea: (with an SiR/CTR/Vi-RS twist of course)

I think it would be badass to eliminate the shroud and fit the OEM reflector where it would be; then I'd cut holes for the lens and the reflector...hmmmmmm
Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally will never run a different suspension setup on any car i own. I've ridden in full body coiled cars, from FF type 1's, 2's, top of the line Tein suspensions to "low end" setups like blox. I can say that i love the koni/gc setup because of the ability to get ANY spring rates you want, and they go super duper low
Thanks dude. When I had the pleasure of meeting a few out of the Columbus crowd, it seems FF's are the rage there, they all just want to be dumped. Then I was like...dude...I drive a sedan Yes, I do want to get some lower spring rates, but I'll save that discussion for purchase time
Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In all honesty, your spring rates are fine. its your shocks causing the bad ride. my rates are 550 front and 400 rear and my car rides just fine. And if they are dumping on FF's they are sadly informed lol... They go low, but they dont like it after long
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I figured, seems like some sort of shock is my best bet if I cannot afford a full coilover. Thx for the input, that's the answer I was hoping to hear. And yeah, I'm not sure what exactly they were doing with their Function and Form's, but they were just all talking about them and how cheap they were. Seemed to be a little bit of hogwash to me so you must be right!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are a great coilover, my friends hatch has them. They ride very good. But they were not ment to go dumped.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thinking about putting on a cold air intake on the y7. Is it worth doing, and is there any other options? I'm not so good with the mechanical side of cars but doing body work, now thats where I shine.
Mallard-Just thought i would say hi to a fellow phoenician. I was raised in Phx. I sure do miss the desert.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BoneDaddy412
Thinking about putting on a cold air intake on the y7. Is it worth doing, and is there any other options? I'm not so good with the mechanical side of cars but doing body work, now thats where I shine.
Mallard-Just thought i would say hi to a fellow phoenician. I was raised in Phx. I sure do miss the desert.
Hey man. As far as your y7 goes, they respond well to the original Iceman Cold Air Intake. I had one on my old engine and it loved it. The others were a waste of money in my opinion.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you dont already have it, dont waste money. I bought a short ram because when i wrecked my car i fuked my oem airbox up. I personally like the look of the stock airbox a lot more than a skinny little tube with a filter. They wont give you any noticeable power gains if that is what you are after.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not really looking for power gains with the y7. Maybe a little better mpg. Plus i like the looks. I plan on keeping the stock one in storage in case i want to go back. Also could I just change it out with another intake system from like a y8 or something. I thought I read that u could do that and it would be better all the way around rather than messing with the cold air intake. I drive about 70 miles round trip to work, 6 days a week. Mpg is a big thing for me.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you Tyler and Joel. You don't think Koni/GC would be a good, long term setup? The Koni shocks alone are about $560 shipped, so I will probably be spending something in that range, hopefully within the next month or so. I'm not crazy on buying something used that wears out, but I fully understand what you mean about paying more now and saving more later. I was just under the impression there would not be many problems down the road with the koni/gc setup since it's all the rave.

Mallard, thanks, PM sent
HiD spoiler alert!!! Caution!!

What I'm working with:
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DJslim09/DSC01702.jpg

Idea: (with an SiR/CTR/Vi-RS twist of course)
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DJslim09/DSC01704.jpg

I think it would be badass to eliminate the shroud and fit the OEM reflector where it would be; then I'd cut holes for the lens and the reflector...hmmmmmm
Thanks dude. When I had the pleasure of meeting a few out of the Columbus crowd, it seems FF's are the rage there, they all just want to be dumped. Then I was like...dude...I drive a sedan Yes, I do want to get some lower spring rates, but I'll save that discussion for purchase time
In all honesty, your spring rates are fine. its your shocks causing the bad ride. my rates are 550 front and 400 rear and my car rides just fine. And if they are dumping on FF's they are sadly informed lol... They go low, but they dont like it after long
That's what I figured, seems like some sort of shock is my best bet if I cannot afford a full coilover. Thx for the input, that's the answer I was hoping to hear. And yeah, I'm not sure what exactly they were doing with their Function and Form's, but they were just all talking about them and how cheap they were. Seemed to be a little bit of hogwash to me so you must be right!
they are a great coilover, my friends hatch has them. They ride very good. But they were not ment to go dumped.
Mike/DJ- First let me say unique retrofit that might just be cool to see.

Moose/ Mike - About the suspension, There's 2 sides to every suspension setup. Every anodized function IMO are cheap POS. On the brighter side all there new stuff is spectacular and they now carry Eibach Spring rates as an upgrade in any rate, dubbed the type "2.5"

If your not familiar w/ functions they are now a tested and approve product by eibach a great spring company. If they were junk I am sure such a company would not associate w/ them and manufacture stiffer/upgrade spring rates for an inferior product.

Are Koni/Gc's a good combo? Heck yeah! Will I spend $800 on a shock & coilover spring combo? Heck No! The reason the work so well is they have no preload spec whereas the function's do.

So why don't slammed beyond recommended functions last long?

A: out the box they are setup slammed

B: Idiots change the pre-load to lower the car more

C: Why? It is not low enough for street scrapers

D: Result They complain My shock blew in a year

E: Effect company gets mixed reviews

I am not dissing Koni, and I'm not trying to advocate function. If you look around and read, a few people are getting rid of Tein's for functions if that doesn't say anything about a company then I do not know what else to say. I know function is the best bang for the buck.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by skylinerb26dett
why is your car so high?
Originally Posted by portfl0w
I'm going with a prerunner look. Long travel shocks are next.
hahahahahahahhahahahahaha that's good port guna be my sig.

Hey guys how's it going....
I just got another project,
ahhhh I dunno man gotta finish stuff ahhhh
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Guys I almost forgot. I got 2 tickets for tinted windows - ( yeah sure, it was really DWB ) anyway before I just have the tint removed does anyone locally wish to trade their factory windows for my tinted ones? A Straight swap, no cash, not in it for the money! I will have my car re-tinted lighter after I correct my violations. Just send me a PM if you are.

Just an offer before I have it removed

Quick Reply: ** The offical 96-00 civic 4dr thread ** PART 2