Notices

WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside.

So Jeff Evans never got a chance to tune my idle because we had a vaccuum leak, and it wouldn't idle below 3k with the IACV plugged in.

Anyway, up until a month ago, my idle was fine. Well, bounced around from 1k to 1.5k, which was no problem. Smooth sounding, and 22in hg vaccuum at idle.

Now, well sometimes, it idles really low and the vaccuum is reading 15 in hg, and it smokes like crazy. The smoke is mostly black (fuel) but there looks like there is some white in there. It's hard to tell from the video cuz it's dark, but you can see it. Also, it sounds really choppy or poppy.

In the vid you can hear where it gets smooth (when the idle raises, and the fan turns on) but then it goes back to all shitty sounding.
Soo. . What's wrong?

Video:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D
Old 11-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside. (m R g S r)

Anyone? Tuners?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:20 PM

bump for some help.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside. (Mikes01GSR)

Seems to me as if you're just catching a rich spot and bogging down... As it bogs, vacuum isn't as powerful and the map sensor sees more of the open atmosphere (Think of an engine off with the key on... The Map sensor sees atmospheric pressure)... That places you in a column for the higher load that the map sensor is seeing which in turn pulls higher values from the fuel map causing your smoking situation... It's not recovering... That's my first guess and hopefully the correct answer for you... Get the idle area tuned since Jeff never got a chance to completely tune it... You can also try the idle adjustment screw and adjusting your fuel pressure slightly to see if it helps... Know that this will offset the rest of the tuned map so remember what the FP is currently set to and don't boost on it if you lower your fuel pressure... You don't want to run lean... That should give you an idea if that's the problem at least... Good luck man...
Old 11-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside. (Mikes01GSR)

What is your setup and what are you using to tune the car with if anything? This could be a bunch of things. Its really hard to narrow down over the internet. Also are you running an open downpipe?

Sal
Old 11-12-2004, 04:25 AM

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside. (TurboLSVtecTeg)

I think it may have to do with the amount of voltage that the injectors are getting.. at 12 volts my car idles pretty shitty.. then at 14.1 volts my car idles incredible. im using 450 DSM injectors and Hondata. Turn off all your electrical components and let the car idle, gas it, then see if it can idle again.. if its unstable, try turning on the headlights, or heat and see if the idle bumps up and smooths out during the time u have the electrical component on... if this is the case, i would bet that it has to do with the voltage. because this is my problem..maybe battery related or alternator..

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=919581
Old 11-12-2004, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside. (J337_UNIT)

Stupid question but is your wastegate (vacuum to the wastegate) set up correctly? It almost sounds like the wastegate is open, at idle. Make sure it's connected properly.

If that's not the problem, I don't know. Sorry man.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside. (J337_UNIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J337_UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it may have to do with the amount of voltage that the injectors are getting.. at 12 volts my car idles pretty shitty.. then at 14.1 volts my car idles incredible. im using 450 DSM injectors and Hondata. Turn off all your electrical components and let the car idle, gas it, then see if it can idle again.. if its unstable, try turning on the headlights, or heat and see if the idle bumps up and smooths out during the time u have the electrical component on... if this is the case, i would bet that it has to do with the voltage. because this is my problem..maybe battery related or alternator..

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=919581</TD></TR></TABLE>

For the voltage problem, disable ELD in the software and it will always be 14.0 volts.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside. (HRTuning)

I think you are correct about the map voltage. But the voltage also sounds like an idea, because when the fan kicks on the lights do dim. I don't have a voltmeter, but I do have an optima battery (red top) and that's the only thing I changed for the electrical system. Think my altenator is fucked?
The wastegate is not opening at idle. Yes I'm running open downpipe (It's just more noticable like this, because it makes a lot more noise and smoke, but it still does it when I cap off the DP and run full exhaust)
The idle doesn't reall change when I turn on the headlights or anything. You can hear the fuel pump change in tone, very slightly, but not the idle.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside. (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For the voltage problem, disable ELD in the software and it will always be 14.0 volts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Does uberdata have that? How do I go about doing it If I don't have the program on my computer?

Jeff did offer to let me bring the car down to the shop to re-tune the idle, (thanks) but I don't know if it's worth the 2-2.5 hour trip, espically since my new motor is going in within 3 months. . .
Old 11-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Does uberdata have that? How do I go about doing it If I don't have the program on my computer?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have no idea on uberdata but I know Hondata does.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside. (ladysman)

my idle sounded like that when I blew my rings...but try checking the plugs..
Old 11-16-2004, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my idle? Video inside. (MiraiZ)

I thought it was the rings/ringlands. But I checked compression numerous times. And the isn't enough blowby for it to be the rings.