Notices

won't build boost in lower gears....help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't build boost in lower gears....help!

I've got a 14b with the stock 8psi wastegate and I'm having problems building boost in first and second gear. For some reason, it builds about 1 psi of boost in 1st and about 2-3 psi of boost in 2nd, and then finally 3rd gear on up it pull's very nicely all the way to 8psi.

I've heard that my smaller turbo's like the 14b are great for low end, but not as great on the top...well I've only experienced the top and it's awsome...I wanna feel what the bottom is like. Any ideas what could be causing this?

A little back ground of my setup, I'm running the stock dsm piping, which is about 2" in diam. And then I've got a greddy evo exhuast, which I think is about 2 1/4" diam. piping. I would think that these things were the problem, but I'm building boost great in the upper gears...what's up with that?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Re: won't build boost in lower gears....help! (asianspeed)

What kind of turbo are you using? It almost sounds as if it is not getting enough load in the lower gears to build boost... which could also be a function of fuel and timing...

just my 2 coppers anyways...
Old 09-26-2003, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: won't build boost in lower gears....help! (B94Cast)

are u usign a boost controller? uhmm.. did you checked for leaks?

my td04 on my d16 spools fine on every gear 2800rpm and up 5.5psi
Old 09-26-2003, 10:10 PM

Default Re: won't build boost in lower gears....help! (B94Cast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B94Cast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of turbo are you using? It almost sounds as if it is not getting enough load in the lower gears to build boost... which could also be a function of fuel and timing...

just my 2 coppers anyways...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got the td05h-14b....it's a smaller turbo that should be spooling especially in the lower gears. My fuel is 450cc dsm's and the filetofit map limiter, which from other users has been great for them. And my timing is stock....which I know I should retard about 2 degrees.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kamaleon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are u usign a boost controller? uhmm.. did you checked for leaks?
my td04 on my d16 spools fine on every gear 2800rpm and up 5.5psi
</TD></TR></TABLE>

My boost is regulated with just the stock wastegate, which limits my boosting to about 8 psi. I did check for leaks and I can't visibly see any...however, why would I be able to boost in the upper gears and not the lower gears, if there was a leak? In the upper gears I'm able to boost right around 2800 as well, and it holds boost at 8 psi very good.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:18 PM

bump for you because I can't even come up with a half assed guess. I'm curious.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:44 PM

Default Re: won't build boost in lower gears....help! (sporkcrx)

Can I rule out there being a leak, if I'm able to boost fine in gears 3,4, & 5? I'm stumped people. Anyone else experience this?
Old 09-27-2003, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for you because I can't even come up with a half assed guess. I'm curious.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its the flux capacitor that is fried!!!!!! Cmon now....

j/k I got no idea. Id like to know though. TTT
Old 09-27-2003, 04:14 PM

Default Re: won't build boost in lower gears....help! (intekragsr)

maybe theres a leak and 1st 2nd gear redline too fast to build boost?
Old 09-27-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Re: won't build boost in lower gears....help! (InTeGrA B18b1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InTeGrA B18b1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe theres a leak and 1st 2nd gear redline too fast to build boost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I've been thinking somewhat so far too. It can't have to do w/ what gears it's in. Like a leak between the engine and turbo, where it takes a second to get the thing spooling.

Flux capacitor
Old 09-27-2003, 05:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's what I've been thinking somewhat so far too. It can't have to do w/ what gears it's in. Like a leak between the engine and turbo, where it takes a second to get the thing spooling.

Flux capacitor </TD></TR></TABLE>

I kind of thought about that too. But I ruled that out because I recently found a leak between the exhuast mani and the turbo and I fixed that. However, one of the nuts that bolts the mani to the engine always falls off and if anything there is a leak there. But only one nut is missing and everything else is bolted down tiiight. I don't think I could be leaking that much not to boost, with only one nut off.

Something a little off topic, does anyone know the thread and pitch of those self-locking nuts? I'm tired of buying them for $5 a pop from honda....I'm sure any 19 cent nut would work just fine.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:14 AM

bump for me, in hopes of boosting off the line....
Old 09-29-2003, 04:42 AM

how old is the turbo? Did you check the turbo for any damages? Is it really old? That turbo should be boosting with no lag at all.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:40 PM

Default Re: won't build boost in lower gears....help! (ekb18c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekb18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how old is the turbo? Did you check the turbo for any damages? Is it really old? That turbo should be boosting with no lag at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The turbo is off of a 92 talon. I couldn't find any damages. Wastegate flapper looks good, so there isn't any boost bleeding from there. And it spins good... I agree with the boost with no lag. I get that in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears....but why not 1st and 2nd???