Notices

will ceramic coating increase my spool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will ceramic coating increase my spool?

from what i hear it normally doesn't help all that much BUT, my manifold is about 3' long so i figured it would lose quite a bit more heat then the norm. I d'ont know, i'm i just wasting my time? I don't care about lowering temps as that is not an issue. im looking at keeping the exhaust gases hot.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: will ceramic coating increase my spool?

What exactly do you plan on ceramic coating? I believe extrude honing is a good idea to possibly increase spool time.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Porting a manifold (extrude honing is one such method) might yield benefits in spool time in very specific circumstances where you're fighting a manifold flow bottleneck, but that's an entirely different subject.

Back to the original topic -- three feet of runner length between the head and the turbo? Really? Where did you place the turbo, under the firewall? In all seriousness, the coating may actually help your spool only because most reasonable manifolds are about 12-16 inches in length (or less.)

Now, will the difference in spool be measurable? Perhaps. But I wager the far-greater benefit to your setup will be heat soak in the engine bay rather than pure spool time. With a manifold that long inside such a small engine bay, you're cooking just about everything that's underhood.

Something to think about.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerquefx
Porting a manifold (extrude honing is one such method) might yield benefits in spool time in very specific circumstances where you're fighting a manifold flow bottleneck, but that's an entirely different subject.

Back to the original topic -- three feet of runner length between the head and the turbo? Really? Where did you place the turbo, under the firewall? In all seriousness, the coating may actually help your spool only because most reasonable manifolds are about 12-16 inches in length (or less.)

Now, will the difference in spool be measurable? Perhaps. But I wager the far-greater benefit to your setup will be heat soak in the engine bay rather than pure spool time. With a manifold that long inside such a small engine bay, you're cooking just about everything that's underhood.

Something to think about.
ok so prob not... I wont give any more info but when everything is done, ill post lots of pictures.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For what its worth, I noticed a difference when I wrapped my ramhorn in DEI wrap and gave it several coatings of their Insulating Spray over the wrap. When crusing around I definately had to give it less throttle to make boost, I was impressed but it was a PITA to do.

I have never been fully sold on coatings, the manifolds still seem very hot on my skin when the engine is hot, my wrapped manifold I could squeeze a runner all the way around for 2 seconds before it got hot enough to pull away.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The ceramic coatings on the turbine housings do keep radiant heat inside the volute to keep exhaust velocity energy high and allow the exhaust energy to escape down the downpipe more quickly. Does it help it "spool" faster? (meaning reach maximum threshold speed on a given boost pressure) Not really, but it can keep engine temps down after a REASONABLE amount of time.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM

i guess he has a turbo system like some dude in that "worst fab" thread.. the guy has the turbo sitting in his passenger seat.. literally. well not LITERALLY because the car was gutted minus the driver seat.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hes probably just hiding the turbo back by the axles, trying to be all snaeky like a ninja. and let me guess, it looks just like a header or hell its probably made from a header?

I would think the wrap would keep more heat in, but Im not really sure how much that'll help spool. Do some tests before and after and let us know.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eclypzex
i guess he has a turbo system like some dude in that "worst fab" thread.. the guy has the turbo sitting in his passenger seat.. literally. well not LITERALLY because the car was gutted minus the driver seat.
OK OK you got me. I wasn't going to post anything until i was 100% done but here it is anyway

Old 07-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look into a turbo blanket.....

I have noticed a slight spool increase, as well as temp drops.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by iliv2xlr8
Look into a turbo blanket.....

I have noticed a slight spool increase, as well as temp drops.

are there any dyno comparisons of stuff like this? I would love to see the difference before and after on something like this.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no dyno numbers of before and after.... I haven't boosted my hatch yet. I used them on both my Rx7 builds in the past.

Maybe someone else could chime in on the use of blankets...
Old 07-24-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 85
are there any dyno comparisons of stuff like this? I would love to see the difference before and after on something like this.
I'm sorry this has to be told to you, but not everything can be calibrated and compared on a DYNO run. Like I said, it's not as noticeable that a dyno "sees" it, but the benefits can be seen in underhood temps and exhaust velocity efficiency.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I'm sorry this has to be told to you, but not everything can be calibrated and compared on a DYNO run. Like I said, it's not as noticeable that a dyno "sees" it, but the benefits can be seen in underhood temps and exhaust velocity efficiency.
like i said before I couldn't care about under the temps as i dont have a hood. I was mostly thinking about the spool up. As for the efficiency, other then looking at the spool up, how else could you measure that?