Notices

will a boost controller help my turbo spool quicker?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a boost controller help my turbo spool quicker?

i have a b18b with a garrett t3 and turbonetics deltagate II...before i installed the t3 i had a t28 with a burned stock clutch.with the t28 and old clutch my car was running a good 14.2 e.t.. now i have a brand new act xtreme pressure plate and s/s disc with the t3 and now its running a 14.5 e.t.. what the heck is going on? im thinking its because the t3 takes alot longer to boost. its running at 7psi with no spikes and it doesnt drop off towards the end like the t28 did, but it creeps and wont stay at 7psi. it hits 7 psi at around 5,000 rpm and keeps climbing to about 9psi at redline. if i back off the screw on the wastegate, it takes alot longer to hit 7psi.how can i get it to spool quicker and stay at 7psi? isnt it supposed to be alot quicker now? so does it sound like i need a boost controller? or does anyone think i have another problem?

Modified by kun3racer at 4:48 AM 6/26/2004
Old 06-25-2004, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i beleive so, i have read it somewhere.
Turbo xs clains it spools 500 rpm faster
Old 06-25-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: will a boost controller help my turbo spool quicker? (kun3racer)

anyone?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:03 PM

i think the greddy profec b can? there is a **** on mine that says sharper or something lol. never knew what that did. help this guy boys me too
Old 06-25-2004, 08:22 PM

umm... i dont think it will help it spool faster cause all that is suppose to do is control that amount of boost the turbo is making ... a turbo timer might help it spool faster. but i could be wrong
Old 06-25-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: will a boost controller help my turbo spool quicker? (jeebers02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeebers02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm... i dont think it will help it spool faster cause all that is suppose to do is control that amount of boost the turbo is making ... a turbo timer might help it spool faster. but i could be wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha are u serious? yea i think ur right a turbo timer times when the turbo spools hahahaha
Old 06-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: will a boost controller help my turbo spool quicker? (egturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha are u serious? yea i think ur right a turbo timer times when the turbo spools hahahaha </TD></TR></TABLE> I have 2 turbo timers my turbo spools twice as fast ha ha ha (just kidding)
Old 06-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: will a boost controller help my turbo spool quicker? (B18C1CYA)

lolz.

::EDIT::
"a MBC does moderately help spool time
it allows the WG to be completely shut so you arent leaking any boost...thus making you able to build boost faster" - a good guy -

lolz..
Old 06-26-2004, 01:31 AM

Some of them will it depends on which one you get. Not sure on which ones do tho.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: will a boost controller help my turbo spool quicker? (TurboTony)

when i put my turbo XS mbc on my, the spool time didn't change much. it changed when i put my 3" downpipe and Thermal
Old 06-26-2004, 06:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeebers02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm... i dont think it will help it spool faster cause all that is suppose to do is control that amount of boost the turbo is making ... a turbo timer might help it spool faster. but i could be wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>
best evar....
but friom what i understand, some boost controlelrs claim they increase spool time, but i havnet seen proof of this
Old 06-26-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: will a boost controller help my turbo spool quicker? (synik)

when boost hits any w/g, it will cause the w/g spring to compress a little bit. this causes the w/g to open up a little bit, letting compressed air out. so basically your losing power. If you use the Turbosmart E-boost, this won't happen. An E-boost allows you to control the w/g. The E-boost can actually bypass the w/g until you want it to open. Since you can keep the w/g completely closed, your turbo will spool faster and you will get more power mid-range.

this is of an Evo 8 and the same boost. keep in mind the E-boost was simply plugged in and not tuned. they could of gained even better results.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you aren't getting 7psi until 5k rpm, I think you have a boost leak, or a squirrel stuck in there, somewhere. I have a d16z6 with a t3 (.42/.48) and I hit 12psi at slightly less than 4k rpm in 2nd gear. I also have basically stock exhaust, after the downpipe, so it is INCREDIBLY restrictive.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's the clutch.. when your old clutch slipped between shifts your revs stayed up allowing your boost to stay up. now with the new clutch your revs drop immediately when u shift and u have to build up boost again after each shift. sounds like u have too much clutch for the amount of power u have. a lot of people i know have too much clutch, but whatever floats their boat.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: will a boost controller help my turbo spool quicker? (blacksheep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blacksheep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's the clutch.. when your old clutch slipped between shifts your revs stayed up allowing your boost to stay up. now with the new clutch your revs drop immediately when u shift and u have to build up boost again after each shift. sounds like u have too much clutch for the amount of power u have. a lot of people i know have too much clutch, but whatever floats their boat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Boost builds with load, not rpm

hummmmm
Old 06-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol....instead of adding to the flames and humor...I'll just inform you on what a turbo timer does. For boosted cars...the turbo gets really hot, and people tend to leave their cars running for a few minutes in order to let the turbo and oil cool down before turning off the car. To make it easier for turbo owners..the turbo timer keeps the car running for a set amount of time dialed in on the turbotimer so that we won't be inconvienced of having to have our hot dates waiting/tapping their feet at us while we wait in the car to turn it off ourselves.

Khoi
Old 06-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes as previously stated. some boost controllers do help spool time. I used to run the turboXS high performance one. I would build 7psi by 4 grand where after I took it out and ran a 7psi spring on the wastegate, I didn't build that till 5 grand. I now ahve the greddy profec B spec 2. the only reasonw hy it'll spool faster is cause more exhaust gases are being used to spin the turbo with a good boost controlelr. cause if you ahve a bleeder type or no controller. you will experience wastegate creep where it is slowly opening before you want it to actually open.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:07 PM

yeah, you might just be wrong there fellah...thanks for trying to help though guy.

Thanks for all the help guys, i really need it! *sits down on a stool facing the wall while wearing a cone shaped hat*
Old 06-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re:

Yes its true, certain types of boost controllers can help spool by keeping the wastegate fully shut until the desired boost level is reached. Where a regular wastegate spring will gradually open as boost approaches the target.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Re: (Muckman)

sorry the extra switch thingy on the greddy profec b is balance wtf does that do? haha
Old 06-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure most EBC solenoids are supposed to bleed off any boost pressure until the set limit then open the wastegate at once. I could definetly feel boost building faster in addition to noticing it with my AVC-R. When I set the AVC-R to off, I can feel a lag and the wastegate opening in a linear fashion with respect to boost level.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that the ball and spring mbc's do help with spool time. It keeps the wastegate shut untill it reaches that certain ammount of boost and then it opens. Instead of having just the wastegate, which will start to open as soon as it starts seeing boost. 98ctr
Old 06-27-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Re: (98ctr)

*update* ok i just installed a DIY ball and spring type boost controller. It pulls way harder now and spools alot quicker. I hit 7psi by 4,500 rpm and it also stopped the boost creep. It stays at 7psi all the way to redline. I really didnt think that it would have made such a difference, but it made a world of difference. Im gonna go to the track this wednesday and see if i cant hit a 13.9 on street tires. Ill keep you posted!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like I said, those things are grate for controlling boost and boost creep. that is because it holds the wastegate closed untill it reaches that certain boost and then it modulates verry good. good luck at the track. 98ctr
Old 06-28-2004, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Which DIY MBC did you go with?

Quick Reply: will a boost controller help my turbo spool quicker?