Notices

Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque?

ok, stock LS, T3 60 turbo. I don't understand, the car untuned baselined 184 whp, and 184ft/lb torque. I gained alot of horsepower, but minimal torque. My buddy's t3/t04b GSR made similar numbers at lower boost:

Same dyno, shouldn't mine make more torque? I dunno.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (ptran13)

dude, that's a sick *** power curve!! that's kinda how my LS power curve is as well. power just keeps on climbing. did you modify how your LS flows in any way? usually that's what makes these types of power band on LS motors.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (shermanyang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, that's a sick *** power curve!! that's kinda how my LS power curve is as well. power just keeps on climbing. did you modify how your LS flows in any way? usually that's what makes these types of power band on LS motors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it's called boost creep...
Old 09-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ptran13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, it's called boost creep...</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol...oh. didn't know you had any. should of looked at the boost chart

Modified by shermanyang at 1:45 AM 9/23/2004
Old 09-21-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (shermanyang)

That second graph makes it look like you have a vtec head with that dip at 5500.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (beerbongskickass)

the reason u made a lot of HP and not all that much max torque is because of the boost creep.

your torque didnt die off up top because you were boosting more, which allowed it to make more HP
Old 09-22-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That second graph makes it look like you have a vtec head with that dip at 5500.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that was my buddy's gsr turbo for comparison good call
Old 09-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the reason u made a lot of HP and not all that much max torque is because of the boost creep.

your torque didnt die off up top because you were boosting more, which allowed it to make more HP</TD></TR></TABLE>

so if get rid of my boost creep have it dyno and retuned, do you think i'll gain a substantial amount of torque?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you cure the boost creep, it be great. Boost creep is like throwing another monkey wrench in the equation especially for a tuner trying to make to most power with x amout of boost. Taking care of the boost creep will save you money since if it creeps out the boundries, well, you get the picture.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

*sigh*

Look at your dyno chart. Boost goes from ~5 psi and steadily climbs to 12.

Now, where are you going to set your boost at? 5 psi? You'll think you lost a whole lot of hp and tq. 12 psi? You'll think you made a whole lot more tq. Neither are true, for the manner in which your car was tuned, it makes the power it makes at any given psi - so just pick one.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">*sigh*

Look at your dyno chart. Boost goes from ~5 psi and steadily climbs to 12.

Now, where are you going to set your boost at? 5 psi? You'll think you lost a whole lot of hp and tq. 12 psi? You'll think you made a whole lot more tq. Neither are true, for the manner in which your car was tuned, it makes the power it makes at any given psi - so just pick one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ideally if i can get the boost to stabilize i would like to run 10 psi. So theoretically I can still make more power than I already am if I stabilize the boost, even though I creep to 12 psi now.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That second graph makes it look like you have a vtec head with that dip at 5500.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, thats because the second one is a GSR. re read the paragraph and look at the rpms
Old 09-22-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (99B16Si)

i'm honestly laughing in real life at the amount of boost creep you have.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (94goldjungsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94goldjungsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm honestly laughing in real life at the amount of boost creep you have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As was I That boost curve looks TERRIBLE, just like that of a centrifugal supercharger. Seriously, you run more boost on the top end you make more power. Low end near your naturally aspirated torque peak you're running less boost, so you make less peak torque. Not a hard concept to grasp.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (Chip)

Good numbers!
Whats your setup? I'm going to dyno my b18b with t3 soon and would like to know what to expect. What turbo exactly are you running, what other mods and what engine management.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (Chip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

As was I That boost curve looks TERRIBLE, just like that of a centrifugal supercharger. Seriously, you run more boost on the top end you make more power. Low end near your naturally aspirated torque peak you're running less boost, so you make less peak torque. Not a hard concept to grasp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you even read my post? Okay, UNTUNED at 7 psi, the car was making more torque at a lower RPM, than it does now. I was just wondering why I lost so much torque when it was "tuned" so to speak. Previously it didn't have a creep, and I did not change anything from then.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (Smooth-GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smooth-GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good numbers!
Whats your setup? I'm going to dyno my b18b with t3 soon and would like to know what to expect. What turbo exactly are you running, what other mods and what engine management.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock LS, T3 48/60 turbo. TiAL 38mm wastegate, 460cc RX7 injectors, 255lph walbro fuel pump, uberdata, 2.5" down pipe -&gt; exhaust, ssautocrap manifold. 2.5" charge pipe, precision intercooler.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so where does boost creep come from, (still being boost educated) a bad wastegate?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just look at where your peak torque is at. 5300rpms @ what looks like 9psi. For only 9psi, your torque value seems about right.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (ILuvJDMITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ILuvJDMITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so where does boost creep come from, (still being boost educated) a bad wastegate?</TD></TR></TABLE>

terrible wastegate placement.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:39 PM

it could be from a ton of things...
Old 09-22-2004, 10:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ptran13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ssautocrap manifold</TD></TR></TABLE>

here's your problem. btw, did you used to have a lovefab shorty? why did you downgrade?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (ID_ten_T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ID_ten_T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

P.E.B.K.A.C.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ptran13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did you even read my post? Okay, UNTUNED at 7 psi, the car was making more torque at a lower RPM, than it does now. I was just wondering why I lost so much torque when it was "tuned" so to speak. Previously it didn't have a creep, and I did not change anything from then. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow u still claim you're running 7psi. Man, you're running all over the charts.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque? (ID_ten_T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ID_ten_T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

here's your problem. btw, did you used to have a lovefab shorty? why did you downgrade?</TD></TR></TABLE>

have one, just never got it put on. I'll probably do that now. I didn't want to fab up a new downpipe and charge pipe to the fmic.

Quick Reply: Why isn't my turbo LS making more torque?