Notices

Why are eagle rods so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are eagle rods so cheap?

They are 1/2 the price of everything else. crowers,pauters,oliver,carillo,manley etc and if they do offer the same reaibilty in a street car why would anyone consider paying double for anything else?

I plan on building a 420-480whp b16 with a 9500 redline and I cant justify getting $700 rods when $300 rods work just fine. or am i missing something?
Old 06-27-2004, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Why are eagle rods so cheap? (Boostage)

yeah the part I'm missing is how you're going to build a 420-480 horsepower b16....
Old 06-27-2004, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the eagles have proven them self many times, just get the 3/8 bolt rods, iam running them and there great
Old 06-27-2004, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Why are eagle rods so cheap? (B18C1CYA)

eagle is a company that make nothing BUT rods, so they can make good rods and since they make soo damn many of them they can sell them for pretty cheap compared to other companys.they have had issuses with the rod bolts, and people have SAID that they streach, but i have bever seen any truth behind the streaching rod claims.
if you were to get the 3/8 or the arp bolts, you won't have any problems
Old 06-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why are eagle rods so cheap? (vtecrob16a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecrob16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah the part I'm missing is how you're going to build a 420-480 horsepower b16....</TD></TR></TABLE>

huh?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:53 AM

These days they come with the new ARP 2000 rod bolts anyway so they should be OK. Good luck with achieving your goals.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> huh?</TD></TR></TABLE>
the day you have a 480 whp b16 street car ,i'll get on my knees and get busy...
not tryin to bust your ***** but lets get realistic here,why would you want a street car with that much power boosted civics have trouble getting traction under 300 whp,unless your going to ride around on slicks
Old 06-27-2004, 09:40 AM

eagle rods = good stuff

I think all of them comes with ARP now also. It is good up to 600+ hp. For street cars that will be fine. I had them in my mr2 making 300 to the wheels no problem.

Old 06-27-2004, 09:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecrob16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
not tryin to bust your ***** but lets get realistic here,why would you want a street car with that much power boosted civics have trouble getting traction under 300 whp,unless your going to ride around on slicks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm He never said he wanted to drive around with 480whp, just that he wants to make it safely, which is more than possible on a B16. For all we know form his post, he may want to turn the boost down to 200whp and drive it around like that.. then rip it up at the track. Ive seen more than a few B16s make over 400whp on eagles, however with that kind of build up why would you want to skimp on any part, if you can afford a $700 pauter rod, you should get it, Ive personally never heard of a problem with Pauter's reliability or strength. Good luck with the build up.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecrob16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
not tryin to bust your ***** but lets get realistic here,why would you want a street car with that much power boosted civics have trouble getting traction under 300 whp,unless your going to ride around on slicks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a quaife LSD, fullrace tration bar, tokico illuminas, eibach springs, energy suspension bushings and motor mount inserts. and I plan on making 300-320 daily driven. I dont think traction will be too much of an issue on low boost. but I do want over 450hp for when I break out the slicks.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why are eagle rods so cheap? (Chamois)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chamois &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Umm He never said he wanted to drive around with 480whp, just that he wants to make it safely, which is more than possible on a B16. For all we know form his post, he may want to turn the boost down to 200whp and drive it around like that.. then rip it up at the track. Ive seen more than a few B16s make over 400whp on eagles, however with that kind of build up why would you want to skimp on any part, if you can afford a $700 pauter rod, you should get it, Ive personally never heard of a problem with Pauter's reliability or strength. Good luck with the build up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can afford pauters. I just dont see why I should get them if eagles will hold up for my goals, and is 50% cheaper. how does the arp 2000 stack up to the bolts pauter provides?
Old 06-27-2004, 10:04 AM

its very possible, theres lots of people that have 450+ whp civic on here, you just a ***** turn away from a 200whp civic. Besides, im sure you could drive a 480whp civic on the street if you knew how to drive it....
Old 06-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why are eagle rods so cheap? (TurboDaveR)

Eagles have become a pretty good rod with their 3/8" rod bolt (not available yet for the ls, however)
If you ever get a chance to put a motor together with Pauters, you can just tell the quality of the machine work is so much better. The pins slide in them like butter...very tight but smooth as silk. Sometime you have to help the Eagle a little.
All 4 rod side clearances come out equal with a Pauter...not always the case with an Eagle.
The finish on the sides of the rods is like a mirror, not so with Eagle.
You get every balancing spec with each Pauter just in case you had to replace just one rod and you wanted to insure it was identical with the other 3.
Pauters are for the true race motor and race enthusiast...Eagles are an aftermarket product that is ok.
Precision machine work costs money. That is why they are more expensive.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:28 AM

</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you're gonna be living up to your promise.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

::yawn::

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have a quaife LSD, fullrace tration bar, tokico illuminas, eibach springs, energy suspension bushings and motor mount inserts. and I plan on making 300-320 daily driven. I dont think traction will be too much of an issue on low boost. but I do want over 450hp for when I break out the slicks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds good
Old 06-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why are eagle rods so cheap? (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Eagles have become a pretty good rod with their 3/8" rod bolt (not available yet for the ls, however)
If you ever get a chance to put a motor together with Pauters, you can just tell the quality of the machine work is so much better. The pins slide in them like butter...very tight but smooth as silk. Sometime you have to help the Eagle a little.
All 4 rod side clearances come out equal with a Pauter...not always the case with an Eagle.
The finish on the sides of the rods is like a mirror, not so with Eagle.
You get every balancing spec with each Pauter just in case you had to replace just one rod and you wanted to insure it was identical with the other 3.
Pauters are for the true race motor and race enthusiast...Eagles are an aftermarket product that is ok.
Precision machine work costs money. That is why they are more expensive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The clearances and all that will be your problem when you build my motor but honestly all the other benefits you mentioned doesnt seem justified on a street car.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:58 AM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=704660

I guess it's time to get on your knees.

I'm driving around with an SC61 pumping out 18 psi into a built motor. If you're an IDIOT that doesn't know how to drive and go WOT everywhere, yes, you are going to have tons of traction problems. Otherwise, anyone with 3/4 of a brain can drive a 300 WHP honda on the street, it isn't hard cheif.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:59 AM

Well you need to come down to Texas buddy and man up!
I think there's a couple B16s making 600whp give or take

I would go with Pauters if I had the$$$ but I settled for Crowers
Old 06-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why are eagle rods so cheap? (TURBO4drTypeR)

I stll wanna know how arp 2000 3/8 bolts stack up to the 5/16 that pauter provides. because I would like to take the rpms p to 9.5
Old 06-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why are eagle rods so cheap? (TURBO4drTypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBO4drTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well you need to come down to Texas buddy and man up!
I think there's a couple B16s making 600whp give or take </TD></TR></TABLE>

Virginia Beach is a whole lot closer to Baltimore, there's a guy there pushing 611 on a B16 if i remember correctly.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Why are eagle rods so cheap? (J. Davis)

WoW That's awesome yeah Im just giving that guy heads up that B16s aint no joke now a days With the right setup and tunes you can do lots of wonders with a B16 So for the guy that said he would get on his knees and get busy, lets get to work yo!

Im not an Eagle fan so I cant comment on them so I say just get the Pauters and get your car running
Old 06-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B16's have made 500+ and 600+ alot. I personally was goig to go with this since I already have a B16 del sol. People doubt the B16 because it isnt a "1.8l" but it can take just as much power as a B18. I just decided to probly go the K series route to be competitive in NDRA T4 class.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quik sol)

we all know b16s can make my goal now can I get my question answered?
Old 06-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostage)

labor cost.. if its made in U.S... cost more money.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Re: (vtec.dc2)

well It's been done,So I guess my ******* is on the table...
I still think it's crazy...

Quick Reply: Why are eagle rods so cheap?