Notices

Why do we even need headgaskets?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do we even need headgaskets?!

If the head and block were machined correctly, what would be the benefit of using a headgasket? Or why not just a layer or two of copper seal spray gasket?
Old 02-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do we even need headgaskets?! (TeamCracka)

i wonder to
good question
Old 02-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wouldnt you rather screw up a head gasket than the entire block? If the head gasket doesnt give something else has to.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Banned

Default Re: (Sinner)

Cart and F1 engines are the only ones that I know of that don't use HG's. They are machined much better than anyone not doing work for nasa can achieve. In other words, you'd spend probably near 10 grand machining the block and cylinder head. Even then you should expect the motor to use coolant, simillar to a copper head gasket race car. A headgasket also provides a surface for the head and block to slip on eachother as they expand and contract at different rates. Copper Spray would tear and wear away.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why don't they make the block one piece...
Old 02-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol...i guess to make the lifes of mechanics easier, i like it the way it is.

but there was a article in hotrod magazine or one of those magazines. I think u can find it on the internet. A guy made an engine with 4 turbos, I believe he welded the head onto the block...im not sure..maybe some one can find it
Old 02-16-2004, 10:24 AM

Default Re: (Sinner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sinner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wouldnt you rather screw up a head gasket than the entire block? If the head gasket doesnt give something else has to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think this makes more sense. I'd rather lose a few bucks then a few grand
Old 02-16-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Re: (ELSpool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ELSpool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why don't they make the block one piece...</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol..but then how are you gonna rip apart the block to replace parts or upgrade?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Re: (Deluzional)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deluzional &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol..but then how are you gonna rip apart the block to replace parts or upgrade? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Easy you access it from the under side.

A one piece block has been something I wanted to try and make sometime. Considering I'll be owning a machine shop in a few years it's not out of the question. Inheritance....
Old 02-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (danl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A headgasket also provides a surface for the head and block to slip on eachother as they expand and contract at different rates. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Bingo.

Old 02-16-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Re: (alloutmotor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alloutmotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol...i guess to make the lifes of mechanics easier, i like it the way it is.

but there was a article in hotrod magazine or one of those magazines. I think u can find it on the internet. A guy made an engine with 4 turbos, I believe he welded the head onto the block...im not sure..maybe some one can find it</TD></TR></TABLE>
ya this guy machined grooves around everything so he could use metal o-rings to seal it up between the block and head. probably works better (ie. more durable for huge stress applications like his couple thousand hp motor), but i just don't think it would be worth it for our motors. that's a lot of very precise machine work. $$$$$
Old 02-16-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Re: (superstud)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superstud &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
that's a lot of very precise machine work. $$$$$</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bi-metal Holesaw
Old 02-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nd_styles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nd_styles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Easy you access it from the under side.

A one piece block has been something I wanted to try and make sometime. Considering I'll be owning a machine shop in a few years it's not out of the question. Inheritance.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless you drastically change the design, pistons don't come out from the bottom. also, in order to get the valves out in such a situation, the bores would need to be really big or the valves would almost sit straight up and down making air entry in the port suck.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jared)

i remember reading somewhere about someone using metal o-rings that were machined into the block, thus no need for a head gasket. anyone else heard of this? i have NO clue where i heard it...maybe on TV?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In stock bore B-series blocks, the valves will drop right out and down the bores. It's more of a question of how you get them back in if the block were one piece design.

The older supercharged F1 motors without head gaskets used blow-down grooves/channels machined into the block to allow a blown cylinder to blow through the channel and out the side of the block rather than push through to an adjacent cylinder and compromise them.

I think Porsche boxer engines don't use head gaskets and the aluminum cylinder heads just clamp down onto the aluminum blocks.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unless you drastically change the design, pistons don't come out from the bottom. also, in order to get the valves out in such a situation, the bores would need to be really big or the (1) valves would almost sit straight up and down making air entry in the port suck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm, ok you are drastically redesigning it you ninny. What did you think I was going to leave it alone? What would be the point of that? I plan on eliminating the valve system as it is also. Don't jump on my *** with out knowing the details dick.

1 I wouldn't criticize someone if you don't even know what the hell you are
talking about, BTW. this

edit: I toned it down a bit.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 PM

Default Re: (IN VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IN VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think Porsche boxer engines don't use head gaskets and the aluminum cylinder heads just clamp down onto the aluminum blocks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true, but I think they only used it on the earlier LeMans & Grand Prix cars though. Correct me if I'm wrong please.