Notices

Why do some Hondata users choose to leave thier ECU open loop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do some Hondata users choose to leave thier ECU open loop?

As the topic says, i was readin some archived posts and read that soe peopel leave thier ECU's in open loop. Why is this? I guess what im asking is if there is some sort of advantage to not being in closed loop?
Old 11-15-2003, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do some Hondata users choose to leave thier ECU open loop? (MordecaiPSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MordecaiPSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As the topic says, i was readin some archived posts and read that soe peopel leave thier ECU's in open loop. Why is this? I guess what im asking is if there is some sort of advantage to not being in closed loop?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I stay in open loop just because I just monitor/change my AF's with a wideband. You can't do this in closed loop.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Why do some Hondata users choose to leave thier ECU open loop? (ladysman)

Is there a reason you are constantly changing/monitoring you're AF's?
Why not just monitor you're AF's while in closed. Shouldnt closed loop help u get a better partial throtle/cruising a/f ratio anyway?
Old 11-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Why do some Hondata users choose to leave thier ECU open loop? (MordecaiPSI)

For some setups (PR3/PW0), you basically HAVE to run it in open loop because the ECU expects twin O2 (one for 1&4, one for 2&3) sensors in the manifold. This is not really possible if you've got a turbo. If you don't setup the O2 sensors that way, the car will run like sh*t in closed loop.

Sonny
Old 11-15-2003, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why do some Hondata users choose to leave thier ECU open loop? (Sonny)

Noticed that Frank has me running open loop in the GSR as well.... I'll have to pick his brain on why next time I talk to him.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:09 PM

up
Old 11-16-2003, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do some Hondata users choose to leave thier ECU open loop? (Sonny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
For some setups (PR3/PW0), you basically HAVE to run it in open loop because the ECU expects twin O2 (one for 1&4, one for 2&3) sensors in the manifold. This is not really possible if you've got a turbo. If you don't setup the O2 sensors that way, the car will run like sh*t in closed loop.

Sonny</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the sole reason why I went from OBD0 to 1.

IMHO tuning someones car and leaving it in open loop will help mask any part throttle fueling issues. ie, any stubles that may occur when going from an ecu controled 14.7 a/f during closed loop, and then switching to the open loop maps. (which may be a bit too rich or lean, causing a stumble during throttle tip in)

Old 11-16-2003, 09:14 AM

on obd2 how do you force the ecu into staying in open loop. right now i don't have any trouble in closed loop and any detonation, but i do always keep an eye on my afr and boost gauge. it'd be nice to just keep it open so i can have richer afr in low boost.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:17 AM

Default Re: (scttydb411)

u need hondata.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:55 AM
XES
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do some Hondata users choose to leave thier ECU open loop? (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I stay in open loop just because I just monitor/change my AF's with a wideband. You can't do this in closed loop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds to me like u are not a Hondata tuner, or you would know that u can monitor/change the AF with a wideband in both settings.
It sounds like u are most likely running a wideband + a stock 02, and leaving both in all the time. If you are datalogging with Hondata, then the stock O2 will not be working...so it has to be in the open position.

I believe that the question is directed at those running a functional O2 sensor + open loop, not a wideband + open loop. The only reason I can think of for running a car in open loop would be if the car had no functional O2 sensor (or it was removed). I put my car in this mode when I am running C-16 leaded fuel (when I have the O2 removed from the airstream and a plug in place). Other than that, all my customers would usually leave with a functional O2 and a rom in closed loop.

ps. I hope u are not dumb enough to believe that your car needs tuning all the time. If so, u obviously don't know what u are talking about. Monitoring can be done all the time, but it can be done in both open and closed loop.